2002 acura rl 5w30 Pennzoil platinum 12211 km's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ckv2qP.jpg

Cant say i feel GOOD about this one. I had a large number of small trips during this run, we will see how the next report goes

Originally Posted By: Wildcard
Cant say i feel GOOD about this one. I had a large number of small trips during this run, we will see how the next report goes

When they list "MI/HR" on the Blackstone sheet, is that really "KM/HR" ? kilometers?
Short trips, and the possibility of a slight coolant leak, looks like it. I'd start running a higher-spec oil in there, an LL-01 spec oil like one of the 0w-40's from walmart in there, or whatever LL-01 oil you can get in Canada easily, like Total Quartz 9000 LL-01. Just for reserve capacity on wear, oil film thickness, long-drain, etc. An old car like that could use the extra viscosity anyway, and put in a Fram Ultra to really scrub it out.

Is it losing coolant? A long run over a harsh winter - the #'s aren't bad except for the lead. Maybe the motor is just getting old. I'd put some Bars Leaks tabs in the coolant just to be safe. Keep the oil topped off.

I check the coolant periodically but i cant recall how much was in the reservoir, just that its still got coolant in it. Ill have to be more dilifent with checking it now, maybe ill mark the side of it with a marker and see if the level drops from there over time.

Originally Posted By: Wildcard
I check the coolant periodically but i cant recall how much was in the reservoir, just that its still got coolant in it. Ill have to be more dilifent with checking it now, maybe ill mark the side of it with a marker and see if the level drops from there over time.

Its only a small amount, maybe a tiny seepage inside. Somebody said the other day that you could take an oil sample, put in a glass for a day, and see a thin layer of ethylene glycol layer on top. Anybody else try that as a test? Maybe it will separate, should float on top I'd think.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I would scale your OCI way back until you figure out if there's coolant in your oil or not.

How far back is way back? I didnt notice any milkshakes in the oil when i changed it. I guess ill have to look for condensation out the tail pipe and white smoke. I have to admit i dont know what coolant itself smells like ill have to get familiar with it i suppose.

If it were me, no more than 5000KM/3000mi. But that's just my $0.02, others may disagree. Ethlene glycol is bad for your bearings and your bearing wear for this OCI is quite high compared to the universal average for your engine type.

Maybe look around on here for another Honda 3.5 in a cold weather environment to make an apples to apples comparison about the effects of brutally cold weather on lead numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back