Por 15 Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Expedition with quite a bi of rust on it ( big surprise). I just learned about Por 15 paint and was wondering if it works as well as advertised. Seems like all I need to do I scrap off the flaking rust and then paint over the remaining rust. Anyone have experience with this product?

Wrong.

You should use their pre-treatment first to further clean up the rust and then "kill" it. It's basically phosphoric acid with zinc oxide dissolved in it.

The more you sand/scrape/dissolve the rust before the paint, the better your results. If you get lazy, results will suck. It is no miracle fix.

But it does work quite well if you do the prep work.

Last edited:
I've used it.

If you follow the instructions - including the "marine clean" and "prep" it will stay on and prevent spread of rust for a long time.

BUT

It isn't UV resistant so if you plan to use it on the exterior you'll have to top coat it with something which means using a tie coat primer and I don't have any experience with how that impacts the coating.

I promise you two things.

If you get it on something, once it is dry it is there - that includes your skin.

If you let it dry without a tie coat primer, a top coat will not stick to it.

I have had good success with it. Like others said, the prep goes a long way. Knock off anything loose with something like a wire brush and make sure there isn't any oil or grease on the metal. If you sand the area to clean metal, it will not stick nearly as well and will peel. It will fade badly on anything exposed to sun but for use under the vehicle, no worries about a topcoat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back