M1 oil filters have the best boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been buying several oil filters from Rock Auto clearance lately, and I've noticed that M1 has the best boxes by far. Not sure whether this just M1, or all pre-Fram Champion filters.

Last month, I bought a couple M1's made in May 2008 that looked brand new and pristine.

A Hastings box from 2012 seemed a bit inferior, thinner and felt softer.

A Wix-made Carquest blue from July 2008 also has a weathered box.

I also bought a Service Champ made in July 2008, but it didn't come in a box. However, the gasket is nice and soft. I'll be cutting open the service chimp later.

I'll also cut one more filter from my stash. You guys can help me choose one. Choice is between one of the M1's, the CQ Blue I just got, or a Napa Platinum (Wix XP) from 2011. Only one of these will be cut, because the rest will be used.

My dilemma is that M1 is a great filter, especially for extended OCI, but I do have two of them. I know that Wix XP is also designed for extended drains, but some people don't like it because they say the efficiency is low, but my XP/Platinum is newer than my regular Wix/CQ.

I will NOT be cutting my Hastings because it's the newest filter of my stash, and because I've never used Hastings before, and they're supposed to be good filters.

The old Microgard filters (like 2011/2012), when they were white and made by Wix? came with shrinkwrap over the gasket end. Pretty cool for a cheap filter.

only cut them USED - anything else should be illegal. REALLY

Most EVERYTHING has been cut open by somebody somewhere - just look online,

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
only cut them USED - anything else should be illegal. REALLY

Most EVERYTHING has been cut open by somebody somewhere - just look online,

It's ok to cut new filters when it's old and rusty, or if you dropped it, or otherwise unfit for service.

Also, I made a mistake in my OP: the Service Champ was made in October 2011, not 2008

So it is written, so It shall be done
smile.gif

I am guilt of cutting open some federated AP Clarecore/ Baldwins. Glad I did that, they were terrible - at least as far as having not nearly enough media for anything other than a lawn tractor ...
Federated-HastingsLF240F_assmstack_jpg2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, the Federated filters are surprisingly sparse in terms of media. Good to know, since I bought 5 of their FL400s equivalents. Looks like these will be ~5000 mile OCI filters

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
So it is written, so It shall be done
smile.gif

I am guilt of cutting open some federated AP Clarecore/ Baldwins. Glad I did that, they were terrible - at least as far as having not nearly enough media for anything other than a lawn tractor ...
Federated- HastingsLF240F_assmstack_jpg2.jpg

media looks like an eg or tg with metal end caps.

Bosch Distance + has the best box, hands down.

But I'd use the Federated filter shown for 5,000 miles.

Looks well constructed with sufficient media.

There are some filters out there that offer even less media and crummy construction to boot.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

But I'd use the Federated filter shown for 5,000 miles.

Looks well constructed with sufficient media.

LOL ... looks to have less media than an EG.

Someone told me that mobil 1 makes their boxes out the same cardboard they make the eg and tg medias out of. Lol great package material!

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Bosch Distance + has the best box, hands down.

I forgot all about the clear plastic D+ boxes, but they are awesome. Just too bad they're so expensive and not included with oil change specials anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back