M1 0w-40 in the SRT-8 Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LubeLuke
Is the manufacturer allowed to specify a particular brand of oil to be used? Here we have rules. They can only specify a standard that the oil must meet. Otherwise they should supply the oil.

Nope, just a spec in this case. However, since the relationship fallout with Mobil, Mobil has not bothered to get their oils approved for Chrysler apps.

Maybe they can come up with an Agip version with the Chrysler/Fiat specification you require. Then you can really be out there.
wink.gif
You have to like Chrysler. You can face everything from an MB sheet, to a Fiat spec, to a generic ILSAC spec, to something slightly "better" than that which is not served by M1, to a Cummins spec, to a nebulous SRT specification.... The Nissan/Infiniti dealers in Canada could get away solely with Mobil Super 1000 and maybe a bit of M1 0w-40 in case of any GT-Rs. The Chrysler dealer has to carry everything Pennzoil and Rotella offer, plus a little that they don't.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Just go find an SRT in the boneyard and pilfer the M1 labeled cap off of it and install on yours, then use up your stash.

Problem solved!

I would assume you are joking but if not how does this solve the issue? The M1 caps were not used on the OP's vehicle so adding it isn't going to solve anything.

Let me just say NICE CAR!! I just rented a charger and was really impressed with it.

3311, yeah, me too, rented a Charger a couple of years ago (V6 rental of course!) to run around Miami and was impressed by the handling/steering/go-power.
Also, my ex-girlfriend had an '06 Magnum 3.5L, and that Mercedes Benz suspension made for a really cool station wagon. Wow, I want one of those Fiat-Chrysler,Ex-Benz cars.
Latest Chargers actually look better than ever now too. Magnum and 300 looked OK, but never really liked the Charger's looks.

I've posed the oil question to Chrysler Corporate so we'll see what the "official" stance is on the matter. I'm curious more than anything here
grin.gif

All of my documentation with my Jeep only uses the word "recommends" when it comes to the Chrysler MS specs and oil weight listings. Not sure it would hold up in a court of law, but also not sure I'd like to take the chance.

For simplicity sake, throw my name in the hat for not using the M1 while under warranty.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I've posed the oil question to Chrysler Corporate so we'll see what the "official" stance is on the matter. I'm curious more than anything here
grin.gif

OK, I finally heard back from Corporate on this:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting FCA Canada Customer Care. We certainly
apologize for the delay with our email response pertaining to your 2014
Dodge Charger SRT VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Included in your vehicle Owner?s Manual is the maintenance service
schedule recommended by FCA Canada, and required as a minimum for
warranty purposes. Any service enhancement suggested by an authorized
FCA Canada dealer should reflect local driving conditions.

The information below can also be found in your owner?s manual for
future reference.

Engine Oil Selection

For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating
conditions, the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic engine oils
that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SN. The
manufacturer recommends the use of a full synthetic SAE 0W-40 engine oil
or equivalent meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard
MS-12633.

Engine Oil Viscosity

Use Pennzoil Ultra? 0W-40 engine or equivalent MOPAR® oil meeting the
Chrysler Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating
temperatures. The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on engine oil
filler cap location, refer to ?Engine Compartment? in ?Maintaining Your
Vehicle? for further information.

Materials Added To Engine Oil

The manufacturer strongly recommends against the addition of any
additives (other than leak detection dyes) to the engine oil. Engine oil
is an engineered product and its performance may be impaired by
supplemental additives.

Synthetic Engine Oils

You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality
requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil
and filter changes are followed.

We note that Recall Campaign R35 (reprogram occupant restraint control
module) is outstanding on your vehicle. Please contact your dealer to
arrange completion of this service, at no charge to you.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to review this matter with you.

Which doesn't answer my question at all
smirk.gif
They are just quoting the manual. I'm going to reply for further clarification.

I talked to the service manager at the dealership and he told me point blank I can use the Mobil 1 0w-40, as that's what they were required to use to get rid of their stock of it BY CHRYSLER!!!
crazy2.gif
before changing over to the SRT 0w-40 which was coming in to replace it.

Also, I've apparently misunderstood the terms of the lifetime oil/lube/filter. This only applies to non-SRT and non-diesel vehicles according to the sales manager. So while it applies to my wife's '06, it does NOT apply to this car. Sorry to mislead everybody in this thread on that
frown.gif

Of course now that the free oil and filter are off the table this changes things a bit as I'll just do it in my driveway like I did with the BMW. It takes the same filter as the Expedition by the way, the XG2/FL-820S.

I do however, want something IN WRITING from Chrysler saying I'm OK to use the Mobil 1 oil and that may be hard to get. That way, if there IS a warranty issue, while I know I have the service manager on my side, I'd have some documentation from them saying the same thing.

I do however, want something IN WRITING from Chrysler saying I'm OK to use the Mobil 1 oil and that may be hard to get. That way, if there IS a warranty issue, while I know I have the service manager on my side, I'd have some documentation from them saying the same thing.

You are not going to get the definite answer you want and I would not expect them to give it to you anyways.

They are going to stick to the script as written in the manual and not deviate. The problem is and they know it, is if they give you any type of written or electronic correspondence on the matter, it will be posted for public consumption and take as a defacto variation from their publish policy and runs the risk of being misconstrued to other applications it was not intended for.

No saying your local service adviser advice is wrong, just that it sets up a precarious situation if things do go wrong and a warranty issue arises and corporate approval is needed. Since he deviates from the published corporate stance on this, the shift of cost for a warranty can be pushed back to the dealership if they so choose.

If your service adviser dies tomorrow, all you have is a hearsay statement on what he told and advised you.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

You are not going to get the definite answer you want and I would not expect them to give it to you anyways.

They are going to stick to the script as written in the manual and not deviate. The problem is and they know it, is if they give you any type of written or electronic correspondence on the matter, it will be posted for public consumption and take as a defacto variation from their publish policy and runs the risk of being misconstrued to other applications it was not intended for.

No saying your local service adviser advice is wrong, just that it sets up a precarious situation if things do go wrong and a warranty issue arises and corporate approval is needed. Since he deviates from the published corporate stance on this, the shift of cost for a warranty can be pushed back to the dealership if they so choose.

If your service adviser dies tomorrow, all you have is a hearsay statement on what he told and advised you.

I tend to agree and your last line is why I'm concerned and seeking that verification that I likely won't get.

It would be nice if the verbiage used was straightforward and clear rather than this convoluted mess which I believe exists for entirely this reason.

I tend to agree and your last line is why I'm concerned and seeking that verification that I likely won't get.

It would be nice if the verbiage used was straightforward and clear rather than this convoluted mess which I believe exists for entirely this reason.

If it makes you feel any better, I am in the same situation with my new RAM 2500 and the 6.4 motor that it has also shares the same oil requirements as your SRT. I would love to run Mobil 0W-40 but have resigned myself to just coughing up the extra dough for the spec'd oil and not run the risk down the line.

Another alternative, but no guarantee it won't be any less messy, would be to ask for Imperial Oil's opinion on the matter. Perhaps they'll back their product. Maybe they'll back Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 and you can really save some money.
wink.gif

I'm sure you wouldn't be so annoyed with this if Shell actually made the product readily available outside of the dealership.

Interesting twist:

http://oilselector.castrol.com/c/us/usa/recommendation/b960a2899c3db631b4266b46895b5dc5/Dodge/Charger-(2006-)/Charger-6-4-SRT8-(2013-2014)

Originally Posted By: Castrol

MAKE: Dodge MODEL: Charger (2006 - ) TYPE: Charger 6.4 SRT8 (2013 - 2014)
YOUR ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATION

CASTROL EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4
Use: Normal
Capacity: 6.97 US Quarts
Castrol EDGE provides superior motor oil strength for engines that work harder due to higher engine pressures, helping your vehicle to maximize performance.
Castrol EDGE is our strongest and most advanced range of engine oils yet. It has been engineered to withstand even the most extreme heat and pressure.

Yet it does NOT carry the Chrysler spec for this car.........

Also, Chrysler got back to me with the expected response:

Originally Posted By: Chrysler

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for your reply.

FCA recommends following the maintenance instruction and oil
specifications outlined in your owner?s manual. Proper vehicle
maintenance is necessary as a preventative measure to vehicle repairs.
Of course, regular maintenance does not eliminate the possibility of a
problem, but it has repeatedly proven to reduce the likelihood of future
repairs.

In addition, any technical information from FCA Canada is distributed to
our dealer network. It is therefore recommended that regular contact be
pursued with your FCA Canada dealer to discuss either vehicle
maintenance requirements, or a specific vehicle concern.

Although we are unable to assist you in this particular matter, we
appreciate you taking the time to write.

smirk.gif

Well, that was a nice bureaucratic response. Do they get paid by the meaningless word? In any case, is there an actual Pennzoil-Quaker State distributor nearby? I don't recall how many there are in Ontario, but there might be one near you. Here it's La Ronge for up north and Weyburn, of all places, for down south, which is ridiculously inconvenient.

As an aside, I'm surprised they don't market Shell Helix yet in North America as a distinct brand from Pennzoil. I'm sure they could shoehorn another SN/GF-5 line of products on the shelves in North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back