early 2000s Honda odyssey transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
for the early 2000 Honda odyssey vans- whats the automatic transmission failure mode, what causes the failure, Honda had some type recall, my son has an odyssey - great car first transmission was fixed by honda, second one (at high miles between 150 and 200k) symptom was no drive in drive cost $2700, I think at a non Honda repair shop. what causes these failures? clutches? or something else?

Clutches, valve bodies, lack of fluid changes etc.

If they fail every 100k (as yours did) just replace it with a manual. Cheaper, lighter, more reliable easier to diagnose/fix, more enjoyable to drive, you have better control of the vehicle and no reliance on 'shift logic' that some programmer you never met thinks you might like, you decide EXACTLY how every single shift occurs and when.

Put simply, don't buy an automatic because it WILL fail.

Originally Posted By: Olas

If they fail every 100k (as yours did) just replace it with a manual. Cheaper, lighter, more reliable easier to diagnose/fix, more enjoyable to drive, you have better control of the vehicle and no reliance on 'shift logic' that some programmer you never met thinks you might like, you decide EXACTLY how every single shift occurs and when.

Honda never put a manual transmission in a North American Honda Odyssey.

If they fail every 100k (as yours did) just replace it with a manual.

What planet are you from?

Hmm, I wonder if you could swap in the 6-speed they used in the TL for a little while, those have J-series engines I believe.

My family had a 1999 Odyssey with the transmission problem. We tried keeping up with fluid changes and got it up to about 150k when it was time to retire the care (last year, 2014). It was slipping when you gave it gas from a stop. It would eventually start moving, but the "shift" was somewhat violent. It made me think it had something to do with the torque converter, but I know autos are very complicated mechanisms.

My 2002 just turned over 230k miles, original transmission and it shifts fine.

It's had dealer documented ATF changes with Z1/DW-1 every 30k.

I just drew a sample of the ATF for a UOA, I'll post the results. (It's at the ALS / WIX lab, so sometimes it takes a while)

Ignore Olas, he's a Manual Transmission bigot. Suggesting on every automatic transmission thread to swap to a MT is beyond unhelpful. (By the way Olas, don't buy a MT, the clutch WILL fail!)

There's a cheap easy to fix failure, the 3/4 and 4/5 shift sensors fail around 100K miles. They are as easy to change as a spark plug, and the new ones usually last much longer. The symptom is delayed hard shifts between 4th and 5th and a blinking "D" light.

I had the symptoms, did this fix myself for less than $100 around 105K on my 2005 Pilot, and it still works great after another 30K+ miles. I suspect this was the issue that prompted it to be traded-in, giving me a great deal.

Around 2003- 2004 there was an internal lubrication issue, and a recall to install an oil jet kit to address it. Torque Convertor solenoid is also a known failure point.

Honda dealers are usually clueless about its existence, but there is a replaceable transmission filter on the V6 transmissions.

Of all automatic transmissions, the Honda V6 transmission is most sensitive to deferred maintenance. When they say change out all the ATF every 30K miles, they mean it. I drop and refill 3 quarts with every oil change, so my fluid is always getting refreshed.

Here's a diagram showing an early screw-on filter, part #8. Later transmissions replaced it with a cartridge style. Any dealer can get these for you, they are readily available, I got mine from Majestic and the price was reasonable. A fluid changeout and new filter sometimes fixes problems with these transmissions, sometimes not, but is always a good idea for proper maintenance.

S9V4A0700A.gif

Originally Posted By: JRed

We should educate and not ridicule, the model names are different outside the USA.

I have had Hondas with v6 with 200k miles with ORIGINAL tranny and worked fine and still working fine.

Originally Posted By: e40
My 2002 just turned over 230k miles, original transmission and it shifts fine.

It's had dealer documented ATF changes with Z1/DW-1 every 30k.

I just drew a sample of the ATF for a UOA, I'll post the results. (It's at the ALS / WIX lab, so sometimes it takes a while)

I have 2 Hondas now,
All I do is drain and fill the ATF at the end of summer and onset of fall when the leaves start to fall.
Yes, I do this every year regardless of miles.

i believe the 99-2001 the clutch material was not up to snuff so basically the clutches wore out as the vehicle was too heavey. 2002 to early 2004 had lubrication issues with 3rd gear. Late 2004s had an internal fix. I have a late 2004- I have 266k miles on mine and I have been religious about fluid changes and at 260k miles I swapped out the third an 4th pressure switches due to blinking D light. As mentioned before- pressure switches were easy to get at and easy to fix.

Hangfire is correct- there is a filter and I know people on the oydclub forum that have changed it out- not impossible but not super easy. Most dealers will claim it does not have one.

HAHAHAHAHHAAHA... oh you werent trolling/joking.

Where does Honda put a MT in their USA spec minivan? Not North America that's for sure.

I love to drive MT.. sure wish they would make everycar with that option.. but esp here that isn't the case.

Also Clutch will fail. Quite fast with some of these noob racer MT drivers. The auto will likely outlive the clutch significantly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Ignore Olas, he's a Manual Transmission bigot. Suggesting on every automatic transmission thread to swap to a MT is beyond unhelpful. (By the way Olas, don't buy a MT, the clutch WILL fail!)

There's a cheap easy to fix failure, the 3/4 and 4/5 shift sensors fail around 100K miles. They are as easy to change as a spark plug, and the new ones usually last much longer. The symptom is delayed hard shifts between 4th and 5th and a blinking "D" light.

I had the symptoms, did this fix myself for less than $100 around 105K on my 2005 Pilot, and it still works great after another 30K+ miles. I suspect this was the issue that prompted it to be traded-in, giving me a great deal.

Around 2003- 2004 there was an internal lubrication issue, and a recall to install an oil jet kit to address it. Torque Convertor solenoid is also a known failure point.

Honda dealers are usually clueless about its existence, but there is a replaceable transmission filter on the V6 transmissions.

Of all automatic transmissions, the Honda V6 transmission is most sensitive to deferred maintenance. When they say change out all the ATF every 30K miles, they mean it. I drop and refill 3 quarts with every oil change, so my fluid is always getting refreshed.

Here's a diagram showing an early screw-on filter, part #8. Later transmissions replaced it with a cartridge style. Any dealer can get these for you, they are readily available, I got mine from Majestic and the price was reasonable. A fluid changeout and new filter sometimes fixes problems with these transmissions, sometimes not, but is always a good idea for proper maintenance.

S9V4A0700A.gif

Interesting, that filter does not exist on my 2008.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Honda never put a manual transmission in a North American Honda Odyssey.

I can change my clutch out in 1.5-2 hours for £60 ish pounds. What is the time and cost to pull your auto, diagnose, repair, refill and refit?

The engine in the odyssey is common to many Hondas, many of which are manual. The bell housing is the same.
Pedal box, clutch cable/hydraulics, And shift mech. Is all you need to worry about, and fitting em would take less time than stripping/repairing your auto.

Originally Posted By: JRed

The planet whose inhabitants prefer simple, rugged, reliable tech. that isn't renowned for problems.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

S9V4A0700A.gif

As per my previous post, a clutch is cheaper easier and longer lasting than an auto. Torque converters absorb torque and numb the driving experience.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
i believe the 99-2001 the clutch material was not up to snuff so basically the clutches wore out as the vehicle was too heavey. 2002 to early 2004 had lubrication issues with 3rd gear. Late 2004s had an internal fix. I have a late 2004- I have 266k miles on mine and I have been religious about fluid changes and at 260k miles I swapped out the third an 4th pressure switches due to blinking D light. As mentioned before- pressure switches were easy to get at and easy to fix.

Hangfire is correct- there is a filter and I know people on the oydclub forum that have changed it out- not impossible but not super easy. Most dealers will claim it does not have one.

The clutch material was not up to snuff. Kinda says it all..

Tranny failures weren't just exclusive to V6 Odys. My 4-banger Accord got a rebuilt tranny at 130K. The 1-2 shift started off as firm but then became so bad the entire car shuddered and lurched violently. I kept up with fluid changes and everything. That couldn't make up for a garbage tranny, though.

Originally Posted By: Rand

HAHAHAHAHHAAHA... oh you werent trolling/joking.

Where does Honda put a MT in their USA spec minivan? Not North America that's for sure.

I love to drive MT.. sure wish they would make everycar with that option.. but esp here that isn't the case.

Also Clutch will fail. Quite fast with some of these noob racer MT drivers. The auto will likely outlive the clutch significantly.

Honda NA don't fit bypass filters or scan gauges or the ability to run in lean burn mode but that doesn't mean they aren't fittable, same goes for intakes, exhausts, stereos etc etc. J series is available as a manual. Look at the bell housing bolt pattern - doesn't take a rocket scientist..

Suggesting an auto will outlive a clutch is beyond ridiculous! The OP had a failure, got repaired and failed again, then got replaced all in less than 200k miles.

A reasonable life for a clutch is 150k miles, and then 2 hours to replace for no more than £80/90.
The OPs failed twice in 200k. That makes a clutch last 1.5x longer than an auto, after which it is significantly cheaper and quicker to repair.

Not to mention all of the benefits of proper gear selection at the correct time. How many autos pick the right gear before the corner? IME they don't which leads to a dangerous feeling drive. Weight transfer and car balance are crucial, and an auto simply can NOT get it right.

Olas,
While the engine may allow a manual transmission to attach to it, the unibody floor pan has no access for the shifter, there are no provisions for a clutch pedal to be added under the dash, the engine control module requires input from the transmission control module to run the engine. This is not an old carburated engine and transmission. The change would require vast changes to the entire vehicle. Suggesting dropping a manual into this model is beyond stupid.

Custom fabricating the gearbox to shift linkages for a one-off minivan conversion is well beyond the scope of consumer questions here on Mechanical/Maintenance. Suggesting that such a custom arrangement is a practical repair is beyond laughable.

Perhaps you are perfectly serious in your own mind, Olas, but you're still laughable and you're still trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back