Flying Stemme S10 Glider, 115HP Rotax in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: horse123
It's not really a glider, it's a glider body with an engine in it, which makes it a regular airplane that happens to be good at gliding. It is cool, but glider is a stretch :p

I spent two weeks at the Stemme Factory in Strausberg, Germany. On the last day, we had a discussion about this very thing.

It seems there is a European classification for various types of aircraft. Such as Ultralight (like our light-sport) Glider, Touring motorglider and so on. The licence the pilot holds, needs to match the class of aircraft.

The Stemme S10 is not classified as a touring motorglider that can be flown by a private pilot. An example of a touring motorglider would be a Grob G109b (which has a soaring performance of 30 to 1).

The 50 to 1, S10 is considered by both Europe and the FAA to be a glider, requiring a glider pilot's license.

Grob G109b:

7566403932_1d7ef675f8_b.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
... but getting down takes some time.... as it wants to remain aloft. A descent at Vne seemed like it was less than 300FPM. (I could be wrong on that one, but it certainly was not much of a descent rate)

Well, if you wanted to get downstairs faster, you could always just put it into a spin, and use the occasion to maintain your spin recovery skills (j/k)

Originally Posted By: Jack_Kieran
@Cujet

With your user name & being a glider pilot--ever see the Caproni jet sailplane? that might be more your speed.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafe...wered+sailplane

I've never seen the Caproni jet glider. But I have seen a few gas turbine launched gliders. In fact, that was my dream in college. That's why I started building gas turbine engines (and rocket engines) as a hobby. I really wanted to have a 2 seat, tandem glider, with a simple jet engine. Crank it up, consume all the fuel and go soaring without carrying extra weight.

It really is possible to have a 20 pound jet engine that produces 300 pounds of thrust. Takes some effort to achieve that, but it is possible. Especially if long life is not a major concern, such as simply launching a glider.

Somehow my dream turned into a lifetime of drudgery.... Just kidding. I still want a jet launch glider. Maybe in my next life.

The "bonus jet" :

BonusJet_-_TJ100_-_11.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Jack_Kieran
@Cujet

With your user name & being a glider pilot--ever see the Caproni jet sailplane? that might be more your speed.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafe...wered+sailplane

I've never seen the Caproni jet glider. But I have seen a few gas turbine launched gliders. In fact, that was my dream in college. That's why I started building gas turbine engines (and rocket engines) as a hobby. I really wanted to have a 2 seat, tandem glider, with a simple jet engine...

The Caproni A21-SJ is a side-by-side two-place; and the jet engine can be used either to self-lauch or as a "sustainer" in cruise. Other than that, it's pretty much what you were looking for. This link (about a slightly modified/improved Caproni Jet)might interest you:

http://flightlog.seven-alpha.com/cap.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back