Microguard MGL57712 ~4900 miles/6 months -Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my other brother came over last night for his 5k mile OC. I had used O'reilly High Mileage 5w30 conventional and this Microguard filter. His car is a 2003 Subaru Legacy with 190k miles on the clock. I put O'reilly High Mileage 5w30 and another Microguard MGL57712 back in, but now i may have him pick up another filter soon and replace this one. I have been cutting up filters for about 8-9 months ever since I stumbled across BITOG, but only recently started taking pictures.

I do OC's for some of my family members(for free) and some friends give me their filters to cut open. I have cut up 3-4 Puro Classics, 4-5 Puro P1's, 2-3 Fram EG's, 2 Fram Ultra's, 1 Mobil1, 3-4 Microguard, 2 random no name and 3-4 Toyota OEM filters. Half of the Puro's I cut open(classics and P1's) were torn and 1 other Microguard had a hole in it like this one, but was a bigger filter not off this car. All other filters I have cut did not have tears or holes. I recommend OEM to family and friends or at least not Puro(because I've seen first hand that they tear), but now I'm adding Microguard to my list to stay away from.

Anyway, here is the Microguard, enjoy.

Ignore metal shavings(used a hack saw)

image_zpscjnzu38t.jpg

image_zpsxw2arppd.jpg

image_zpssjfaqu6z.jpg

image_zpstmdl8uhv.jpg

image_zpst4ncwqml.jpg

image_zps5lbpjgbd.jpg

image_zpsqkqgui5u.jpg

image_zpsdif9sxlj.jpg

image_zpss6zlfxep.jpg

image_zpsngr0akzx.jpg

image_zpssny9mwvt.jpg

image_zpsz5tbtzg7.jpg

image_zpsccfygvaz.jpg

Obviously WIX made, can't miss that base end bypass valve. Tear not good.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Xrs2zz

Half of the Puro's I cut open(classics and P1's) were torn and 1 other Microguard had a hole in it like this one.... All other filters I have cut did not have tears or holes. .....now I'm adding Microguard to my list to stay away from.

Dude, great post! You have the experience here.
cheers3.gif

Wow, what are the odds you'd find half the Purolators torn? I think the doubters are going to have to admit that Purolators are prone to tearing, after this and other evidence mounts.
But MicroGards? MicroG's are made by the Wix wizards, the company we thought had adults in charge. Cheap oil filters just suffer from weak paper media, plain and simple, but some like Fram cheap models seem to avoid tearing anyway. For my money, I'd just spend a little extra and use a Fram Ultra and leave the paper out of the equation.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Wow, what are the odds you'd find half the Purolators torn? I think the doubters are going to have to admit that Purolators are prone to tearing, after this and other evidence mounts.

The evidence has mounted a long time ago.

This hasn't been kept up by Stu_Rock in quite some time, so there are many others reported that haven't been logged.

The Spreadsheet of Tears

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Half of Purolators torn lol. This thread is so troll.

Its for real. A steady stream of torn Purolators have been reported for about a year now. The thing that must be understood is that the average consumer does not cut open his oil filter, so in the general population, few people even know if their oil filter tore. It doesn't suddenly destroy engines, so the problem remains hidden, which is good for Purolator!

Yes I believe that some may have tearing problems, but claiming 50 percent failure rate, while not impossible, is a tad over the top for me to believe.

^^^ The OP said 50% of HIS were torn ... doesn't mean the total failure rate is 50%. I think we all pretty much know the failure rate is much higher than it should be.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Half of Purolators torn lol. This thread is so troll.

The part numbers were L14476, L14477, PL14476 and PL14477. Some came off my car and some off a friends 2005 Corolla and his wife's 2008 Scion XB. We had purchased most of them around the same time from Sears back in 2014.

The tears were no where near a hole like the filter posted, but there were tears at the seam and the ones that didn't tear took almost no pressure to tear with my fingers. The first one I found with a tear I figured I did it by accident, but I found more and thought no way I could do that every time.

Anyway, I didn't get on here to bash them, I just won't use them anymore and I'll use the OEM filters. I will keep posting my cut open oil filters as they come in.

Yikes...that tear! Thanks for cutting and posting, I don't believe I have seen a WIX made filter with a tear. Ill keep using my Fram Ultras, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Xrs2zz
BigD1 said:
The part numbers were L14476, L14477, PL14476 and PL14477. Some came off my car and some off a friends 2005 Corolla and his wife's 2008 Scion XB. We had purchased most of them around the same time from Sears back in 2014.

I'm surprised the 14476 tore, since that's a rather short and stubby filter.

Fort example, the 14610 and 14459 are the worst in terms of tears, but the shorty 14612 isn't nearly as problematic.

This is definitely a rare occurrence. I took one off my brothers truck that looked mint. I am running another one on the Kubota.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Tear not good.

It's a conspiracy. Wix will start tearing because Purolator, Wix, and Fram all want us to buy their top tier filters no matter what.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Tear not good.

It's a conspiracy. Wix will start tearing because Purolator, Wix, and Fram all want us to buy their top tier filters no matter what.
wink.gif

Never know. Maybe all these low tier filters are getting cheap media from the same source lately ... ??
21.gif

This is a really weird one, and the tear isn't in the same area as the Purolators.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
This is a really weird one, and the tear isn't in the same area as the Purolators.

No, that was a strange one.

Maybe all these low tier filters are getting cheap media from the same source lately ... ??

I hope it doesn't start happening to regular Wix stuff, or I'll be rather peeved. And, Purolator shouldn't be treating Bosch Premiums and Pure Ones as low tier filters with low tier media. That shouldn't even apply to the classic.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: dishdude

No, that was a strange one.

Maybe all these low tier filters are getting cheap media from the same source lately ... ??

I hope it doesn't start happening to regular Wix stuff, or I'll be rather peeved. And, Purolator shouldn't be treating Bosch Premiums and Pure Ones as low tier filters with low tier media. That shouldn't even apply to the classic.

Who knows what kind of cost cutting steps some of these companies might take to make more profit. In that other thread by HangFire about his correspondence with Purolator, it was said that Purolator commented that they were looking to change their media ... for some reason.

Maybe they had changed the media a while back which help contribute to the current tearing problem (?). The Classic that tore on me had very "brittle" media, and quite a few others here have mentioned the same thing. I'm sure that was part of the reason the media failed, along with the wide pleat spacing and large V-spread of those pleats - a bad combination in the design.

I'm wondering if the media in this WIX/Microgaurd is somewhat brittle, and might have contributed to this failure?

I have cut a lot of Napa Silver equivalents. The media is very brittle but I have never seen a tear under use. I would speculate the stresses such a small filter must deal with was simply too much in this case.

No wonder I like to oversize!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back