what apps for window phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently got a Windows 8.1 Nokia 635 phone. Suggestions on what apps to buy / get and where to get it? Older user, focus on practical. Weather in Cape Coral (239 ac) and also Indianapolis - (ac 317). Thanks,

Hey, another Windows Phone user! There aren't a lot of us...

All apps are available from the Store, represented on your Home screen by an icon that looks like a shopping bag with a handle.

NOTE: If in doubt about anything, click the row of three dots. This will expand those cryptic icons and tell you what those icons are supposed to do, plus you often get more menu choices.

You absolutely MUST get two particular apps, both from Microsoft.
1) Files (yes, that's the exact name of the app! Accept no imitators!)
This allows you to browse your phone as though it were a computer, which you cannot do unless you have this app installed.
2) Contacts + Message Backup (exact name, again)
This is new, and is a belated response by MS to a storm of complaints about the previous inability to copy your data to a location other than "the cloud". This app backs-up your contacts and messages to your SD card (if you have one...). Not the best solution, but the best that MS allows you at the moment.

For Weather, get The Weather Channel app. You can set multiple "locations" to keep track of, and you can easily slide the screen from one to the other. Works well.

I also have the Simply Advanced Unit Converter for converting between standard and Metric measures.

All of these are free.

I also strongly urge you to set a password on your phone, even if it's just "1234". Setting a password keeps the phone from "pocket dialing", which it WILL do -- embarrassingly -- unless you set a password.

What other interests do you have?

Is Navmii available on that phone?

It's a free app that gives you off line GPS

Very easy to use and gives step by step directions, just like a regular GPS

Password Padlock is good for keeping a list of different passwords for different websites under one master password.

Travel Wallet WP8 is good for keeping all your Frequent Flyer/Car Rental/Hotel Reward account numbers handy if you travel much.

Originally Posted By: expat

No. Neither are MapMyWalk and many other worthy apps.

If you like lots of apps, Windows is not a good choice for a phone: The app selection is extremely limited.

The only reason I have a Windows phone is that the Nokia 635 was the ONLY phone that was compatible with my hearing aids during the five months I spent looking for a phone.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

No. Neither are MapMyWalk and many other worthy apps.

If you like lots of apps, Windows is not a good choice for a phone: The app selection is extremely limited.

The only reason I have a Windows phone is that the Nokia 635 was the ONLY phone that was compatible with my hearing aids during the five months I spent looking for a phone.

Not Bluetooth then?

Hey! Imagine that! A phone that WORKS!! Yes, there are many Apps and "Files" is one of them. "Office Lens" and "PDF Reader" are also good. I have never regretted this Lumina 630 phone. It's always been great and I'm sure the next update will make it even better.

Not Bluetooth then?

Bluetooth with hearing aids is a major pain in the rump.

It requires the use of a Bluetooth receiver/transmitter that intermediates between the aids and the telephone or motor vehicle. This device must be clipped to your lapel (works poorly with T-shirts) or other location close to the aids and your mouth. So now you have three devices involved: Hearing aids, Bluetooth, and phone.

The system is clumsy, awkward, and involves just one more device to get damaged or have the battery run down. Not worth it.

It's a free app that gives you off line GPS

Very easy to use and gives step by step directions, just like a regular GPS

The "HERE Drive" GPS/GLONASS app is free, terrific, and works offline with downloaded maps.

It's in the store under "lumia collection".

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
Recently got a Windows 8.1 Nokia 635 phone. Suggestions on what apps to buy / get and where to get it? Older user, focus on practical. Weather in Cape Coral (239 ac) and also Indianapolis - (ac 317). Thanks,

You should check to make sure it's updated to Lumia Denim. You can chack under settings > extras+info.

I find the stock MSN weather app perfectly acceptable. I don't have any others installed.

edit: chack? check.

Most of the stock MSN apps are good imo, at least good enough for me. The Lumia apps under lumia collection are also quite good, and all of the apps are tightly integrated.

If you like sports, ESPN Radio and Watch ESPN are good. I Heart Radio and Tune In radio are also good for "radio" listening, as is 911 scanner.

Windows 10 Mobile preview may be available for your 635. I have it running on an older 920.

Last edited:
Weather channel is a good one. The downfall of Windows phone is the lack of apps. After 3 WP's(htc surround, Lumia 900, Lumia 925) in a row I finally made the switch to the iPhone 6. Miss the simplicity of the Windows OS but the quality of the iPhone itself is better than any of the other devices I owned.

You absolutely MUST get two particular apps, both from Microsoft.
1) Files (yes, that's the exact name of the app! Accept no imitators!)
This allows you to browse your phone as though it were a computer, which you cannot do unless you have this app installed.

Thank you! I like this app. I installed it today.

For contacts backup I like the Contacts Backup to Excel & email app. I don't know why these phones just don't allow phone book backup on the SIM card like my old ones did.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I don't know why these phones just don't allow phone book backup on the SIM card like my old ones did.

They do. If you install the OTHER Microsoft app I listed and that you snipped:
contacts+message backup
The weird thing about this app is that it shows up as a listing in Settings, not as a separate app.

Windows Phone users ought to also be made aware that there is NO WAY to back up your PHOTOS automatically except to the "cloud", even with the above app. You need to back up photos manually, by connecting the phone to a regular computer using the USB connection, and manually dragging the Camera Roll to a folder on the computer.

Microsoft gets most things right, but the stuff they get wrong, boy oh boy oh boy.

Tegger, your narrative says it backs up the the SD CARD, not the SIM card. I was talking about SIM card backup because it allows for your phone book to be copied into a new phone very easily - almost automatically. I was using the contacts backup app that back up the data to the SD card, but I prefer the Excel file backup.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Tegger, your narrative says it backs up the the SD CARD, not the SIM card. I was talking about SIM card backup because it allows for your phone book to be copied into a new phone very easily - almost automatically. I was using the contacts backup app that back up the data to the SD card, but I prefer the Excel file backup.

Sorry about that. I got SIM and SD confused in my reply. If your Excel solution works for you, then you might as well stick with that.

In case anyone else is wondering, this is how the restore would work using Microsoft's contacts+message backup app:
1) Use contacts+message backup to back up contacts & messages to SD card on old phone (if you hadn't already done that).
2) Swap SD card to new phone.
3) Install contacts+message backup app on new phone.
4) Use the app's "Restore" function to put contacts & messages from SD card onto new phone.

I guess this would only work if new and old phones were both Windows Phones...

^I do like this option, too. I installed the app - very easy to use. As long as you don't lose the phone before buying a new one, you're good.

I read recently that Microsoft knows that WP has only 3% of the cell phone OS market. They say they are still committed to supporting and expanding it. I am not a big app-a-holic so the smaller app market has not really been an issue for me. I was disappointed, though, when Bank of America and American Airlines both ended their WP apps earlier this year. Those were two I actually used!

Originally Posted By: Win
The "HERE Drive" GPS/GLONASS app is free, terrific, and works offline with downloaded maps.

it also has offline maps for pretty much whole world.

FYI: this app it also likes to block the phone. or overheat because of gps/processor. (not fun at night and strange towns)

I've not noticed that on my 640XL, but it has a pretty thick case.

This app is also ported to Android. Seems to work fine on an Android Go Phone I have.

It looks like find my friends is an app.

Not familiar with torque, but looks like there is at least one app that does real time obd II monitoring.

Haven't tried either, so this is about all I can tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back