Best Daily Driver Car (Sedan or Hatch) for $16K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to drive a fiesta st if it was me. A fun little car with good handling speed and fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
I've seen new Elantra GT's for under 16k. The base model has heated seats/mirrors, power everything. The rear seats fold flat making it VERY utilitarian. I've hauled everything from snow blowers to 6x6 lumber and 500 lbs of concrete.

It's spirited to drive with the 6-speed manual trans.

Proven powertrain and warranty to match.

2nd the GT. Great vehicle and hits the price point.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
I've seen new Elantra GT's for under 16k. The base model has heated seats/mirrors, power everything. The rear seats fold flat making it VERY utilitarian. I've hauled everything from snow blowers to 6x6 lumber and 500 lbs of concrete.

It's spirited to drive with the 6-speed manual trans.

Proven powertrain and warranty to match.

This is what I was thinking...the Elantra coupe. I imagine it would be a reliable car overall and they aren't bad to look at either, especially the hatch. OP, I agree with you on the Jetta. My GF has a 2014 SE with the 1.8T and it too is sitting at 10K miles. It is very sprightly and fun to drive, plus if you get the SE (which I believe all of the 1.8T equipped models are) you get the V-TEX leatherette.

You just said reliability is a concern yet are considering a VW???

I would buy what you will be happy driving....
The last thing I would worry about is a few more miles on a lightly used car. 10 vs 20K what is that like one OCI?

VW/Audi has been better with reliability lately. It's too early to tell if the new Jetta will be reliable or not. The old Jetta's with the 2.5L 5 cylinder engine were reliable. Most issues you hear about were from the early 2000's VW's and to a lesser extent, the last generation 2.0T FSI engine.

So, the Jetta checks all your boxes except possibly reliability.

Your other option, the Focus, has issues with the dual clutch transmission, so I don't think you're doing any better there reliability wise. And it has a tiny rear seat.

Yeah Cruze is a good choice too. Feels and drives like a much more expensive car.

Folks, he wants FUN to drive.......

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/630561274/overview/

Before anyone brings up reliability, if you stay with the N/A motor, and not the turbo, it is fine. Mine has 80k+ on it, and has no problems. The only "issue" with mine, is that it uses 1/2 qt every 1000 miles, and thats "sometimes". I change it every 10k. I believe the motors have changed since 2010, and even the turbo models aren't as bad as the '07-'11s. I drive it like a racecar, and it continually gets 34 mpg. I've gotten 37mpg on the highway.

I'd buy another one to replace mine if I had to.

A stick-shift higher-trim Cruze with the "sport" suspension is fairly fun to drive. It's decidedly more engaging than the automatic version. It's even possible to get a stick-shift with leather, although good luck finding a used one of those custom-ordered cars for sale at this price point at this moment in time and meeting the other criteria.

16k is a bad price range. Its a lot for a used car and too low for a nice new midsize. I would either spend less or spend more for new.

If you can get to 20k you can haggle a new midsize from most makes.

If you really want leather i would go a bit older on a Acura tsx or similar.

Originally Posted By: wn1998
The cars I have been eyeing.

2014 VW Jetta SE 1.8L TSI (10k miles) $15,500
2013 Ford Focus Sedan 2.0L (15k miles $14,900

I'm not currently interested in the smaller Mazada 2 or Another Versa

I would pick the VW Jetta SE 1.8. However, for a few thousand more, you may want to look around for a 2013.5 Jetta GLI DSG with the updated EA888 engine for an additional 10 hp compared to the previous one. That'll be fun to drive, but you'd have to cough up premium fuel and a harsher ride than the 1.8 SE.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Honda Fit
Hyundai Accent
Mazda2
Chevy Sonic (turbo)
Kia Forte
Ford Fiesta

tolerable
ick
ick
ick
ick
ick

Not a fan of tiny cars.

We really like our '14 Sonic. I believe it was 16.6 out the door.

1.4 Turbo, Auto, MyLink, Rear Camera, Painted Rims.

36k bumper to bumper, 100k powertrain.

It's everything you want except the leather. You can get sedan or hatch.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
If I had to choose even tho I'm not a Ford fan I would pick the Fiesta over the Sonic (plus that 1.0L ecoboost is awesome) the Sonic is so ugly. The Cruze would be pick over the Focus. (Focus looks better tho) lol

That would be a fun little car! I want to test drive one but no one stocks them.

Originally Posted By: wn1998
I have had a few deals fall through and am back to the drawing board. I am looking to buy over the next few weeks and have some criteria.

What I would like to find
1. Lower than 15k miles if a used car
2. City MPG of 24 or better
3. I keep cars along time (7-10 years) so reliability is a concern
4. Fun to drive (I think this is why I liked the new jetta with 1.8 Turbo)
5. Leather

I know I can't get much at the 16K price point but thought I would ask those in the know what cars I should keep an eye open for.

I'm biased; stipulated. But maybe a slightly used '13 or '14 Buick Regal would suit you (though mine does not get 24 mpg city!), N/A or turbo. Reports have been that they are quite reliable.

For the money i'd second a Mazda 3... should be as reliable as honda/toyota without the "its a honda/toyota" premium everyone seems to pay endlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back