(Sensored!!) GM Dealership woes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tzu
I'm relaxed and open minded now. People are so quick to pounce on me because I was finding it incredible coincidental that this just happened within 80 feet on the dealer's lot. I could have driven 1 mile away and the same could have happened to me? Maybe nothing for another 20k miles? Who knows...Then I would have praised the dealer and had a different reaction altogether. Sure.

I know it's an older car with miles on it. My rusty Camry went to an independent shop for a front end alignment last year, and I apologized for it being older, rusty, and with a 60,000 more miles than the Impala, and I honestly got the best alignment I've ever had. They had many reasons to just blow it off, say it's old and drool at the 2012 Malibu in for a tire rotation/ oil change. They impressed me and in retrospect, I should have went there instead. Next time I will.

How can I get past the previous dealer diagnosing a bad transmission when I found a test and final solution off of Google? Maybe I just had a bad day, but still this makes me very nervous going to any dealer, Toyota included. My coupon for a free NYS inspection at a totally different Chevy dealer took over 2 hours 4 years ago with the same car again. A little excessive and annoying for me. I'll spend the $21 and be out in 20 minutes thank you.

I'll just fix it at home for $20 and call it done. But to have people judge the condition of my car 2,000 miles away is funny. Not every car in New York State 15 years old is a rust bucket. My truck is the same age with 24,000 more miles. I guess I'm screwed? That one ain't ever going to a dealer. Mark my word.

You don't get it. Your vehicle is almost 16 years old with 240K on the clock. There is metal fatigue you can't even see. Things can happen. It's not a classic...it's a almost 16 year old car. You need to fix your own car because dealers cannot get OEM parts for your car anyway. They will buy the parts from the same places you can. Your desire to buy and work on newer cars is quite evident from the vehicles you own. I guess dealers don't even need you to purchase cars from them.

BTW-every car that's 15 years old in New York has some sort of rust that may not be obvious-you can count on that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: B20z
Originally Posted By: BurrWinder

You own a 240K vehicle in a very bad rust belt state.. Lucky that it didn't fail sooner on the road. I guarantee you fixing brake lines on your car was not anyones' cup of tea and meal ticket for the day. Stuff happens... Realists realize this and know life isn't perfect. Roll with it...Don't be a hater...

BurrWinder

"Realists" are the people on this forum that are willing to admit the dealer will screw you 5 ways from Sunday. You know, people being honest. This forum is run by the likes of the Cardinal and the Ranger who toe the company line even when they're off the clock. Do they get off on it? Who's to say.

BITOG is a ball of corporate suck with a lining of good info and anecdotes. Amongst all of the other ridiculous (criminal?) games I've seen dealers play nothing is better than the "get you into a nice new car today!" scam. It's a great show of teamwork between the "techs" and the finance office involving some loosened connections and an "imminent safety concern"...

Great post!

Last edited:
I'm relaxed and open minded now. People are so quick to pounce on me because I was finding it incredible coincidental that this just happened within 80 feet on the dealer's lot. I could have driven 1 mile away and the same could have happened to me? Maybe nothing for another 20k miles? Who knows...Then I would have praised the dealer and had a different reaction altogether. Sure.

I know it's an older car with miles on it. My rusty Camry went to an independent shop for a front end alignment last year, and I apologized for it being older, rusty, and with a 60,000 more miles than the Impala, and I honestly got the best alignment I've ever had. They had many reasons to just blow it off, say it's old and drool at the 2012 Malibu in for a tire rotation/ oil change. They impressed me and in retrospect, I should have went there instead. Next time I will.

How can I get past the previous dealer diagnosing a bad transmission when I found a test and final solution off of Google? Maybe I just had a bad day, but still this makes me very nervous going to any dealer, Toyota included. My coupon for a free NYS inspection at a totally different Chevy dealer took over 2 hours 4 years ago with the same car again. A little excessive and annoying for me. I'll spend the $21 and be out in 20 minutes thank you.

I'll just fix it at home for $20 and call it done. But to have people judge the condition of my car 2,000 miles away is funny. Not every car in New York State 15 years old is a rust bucket. My truck is the same age with 24,000 more miles. I guess I'm screwed? That one ain't ever going to a dealer. Mark my word.

We are not "judging" you when we say we know your car has more rust on it - most very likely - than you realize. NO, I AM NOT SAYING YOUR CAR IS A VISIBLE RUST BUCKET... that it does not have to be. But if it is driven year around... I GUARANTEE YOU it has more underbody, frame and even "hidden" rust ( subframe mounts/bolts, under moldings, pinch welds, back sides of body panels, etc) than even you realize. I am a tech in WI and have been for over 25 years - one of my best buds from tech school was from Leroy, NY... WE aren't judging you... again - we are just realists and are knowledgeable about how cars age in the real world and actually deal with this every day.. NOT JUST on our own car... on the weekend...in our driveway..
I truly wish WI would adopt basic safety inspections like you have in NY to get some of these not safe vehicles off the road by virtue of inspection ! If it isn't in good repair or can't be fixed safely, GET IT OFF THE ROAD !!
I am not saying yours isn't in good repair, just that many things that get neglected are caught and made to be fixed by basic inspections you have in NY.

BurrWinder

Basically, they just glue an insert into the key slot making an elongated opening now one with a center hole.

cobalt-tsb-key.jpg

It seems like a stupid fix I probably won't do. If I do it I will be bringing in the key and recall card, on my bicycle. I don't see why I would even need to bring the car in for this.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Basically, they just glue an insert into the key slot making an elongated opening now one with a center hole.

cobalt-tsb-key.jpg

It seems like a stupid fix I probably won't do. If I do it I will be bringing in the key and recall card, on my bicycle. I don't see why I would even need to bring the car in for this.

I'm assuming this is to prevent the key ring and the other miscellaneous keys you have from touching the steering column or ignition switch, which in turn can shut off the car if it's not prevented. I guess.

Its very common for fuel and brake lines to rust out, and no dealer in the world would want anything to do with it on a 16 year old car.

No money to be made from the repair as no owner of a car worth $2k will spend $3k at the dealer to have all the rusty lines fixed. Plus its a [censored] job as anyone who has done it knows.

Thank you for not judging and trying to understand. When I write it's about ME and MY experiences. It seems when you talk about bad dealership experiences, some people get upset so easily it's like your talking dirty about their family and it becomes very personal. I really don't know of anyone that enjoys going there except to buy/lease that new car. After the warranty expires, the dealership experience can get ugly for some. I've never worked at one, and never had to break the news to a customer about a problem they did know they had, and the costs that go with it.

Just to appease the finger pointers, I am so happy the dealership found a leak that I didn't know I had. It is professionals like that that give me smiles on my face. There have been instances mentioned here about moving a car and suddenly having problems. I get it! I was just upset that the dread of actually going there turned out to be coincidentally what I didn't want and that is what happened. So be it. It's at home waiting to be fixed by me. It could have broken when it was 0 degrees and snowing on a major highway and it didn't. I'll fix it this weekend and move on to something else.

But when people here keep bringing up the 15 year old car, bunch of miles, techs running away at the sight of it, etc. etc. what is the point of worrying about getting the maximum OCI out of a Walmart oil change or keeping it from rusting away on anything older than 10 years. Guys that live in the south should junk anything over 15 years too no matter the condition because stuff gets old. Plain and simple.

Two out of 3 vehicles I own look pretty darn nice to me yet and others have said the same. I personally bought my 2000 Silverado after seeing what the 2008 Silverados looked like. The 99-02 trucks were some on the nicest looking IMO. That is why I still drive it. I'm not cheap, but I just like what I have. I'll wave to guys in the $55,000 trucks while still enjoying mine with zero payments. Good for them and good for me. Win win people. Yesterday was a great day for me
smile.gif

(note to self: absolutely NO dealership topics......ever)

Thank you for not judging and trying to understand. When I write it's about ME and MY experiences. It seems when you talk about bad dealership experiences, some people get upset so easily it's like your talking dirty about their family and it becomes very personal. I really don't know of anyone that enjoys going there except to buy/lease that new car. After the warranty expires, the dealership experience can get ugly for some. I've never worked at one, and never had to break the news to a customer about a problem they did know they had, and the costs that go with it.

Just to appease the finger pointers, I am so happy the dealership found a leak that I didn't know I had. It is professionals like that that give me smiles on my face. There have been instances mentioned here about moving a car and suddenly having problems. I get it! I was just upset that the dread of actually going there turned out to be coincidentally what I didn't want and that is what happened. So be it. It's at home waiting to be fixed by me. It could have broken when it was 0 degrees and snowing on a major highway and it didn't. I'll fix it this weekend and move on to something else.

But when people here keep bringing up the 15 year old car, bunch of miles, techs running away at the sight of it, etc. etc. what is the point of worrying about getting the maximum OCI out of a Walmart oil change or keeping it from rusting away on anything older than 10 years. Guys that live in the south should junk anything over 15 years too no matter the condition because stuff gets old. Plain and simple.

Two out of 3 vehicles I own look pretty darn nice to me yet and others have said the same. I personally bought my 2000 Silverado after seeing what the 2008 Silverados looked like. The 99-02 trucks were some on the nicest looking IMO. That is why I still drive it. I'm not cheap, but I just like what I have. I'll wave to guys in the $55,000 trucks while still enjoying mine with zero payments. Good for them and good for me. Win win people. Yesterday was a great day for me
smile.gif

I didn't mean anything with my comment about an older car. My one vehicle is a 2001 GM pickup with 207k on it
cheers3.gif
but the guys in the shop know everything they touch on an older vehicle is going to be more difficult. If it's steel it's rusty, if it's plastic or rubber it's brittle. The owners usually don't want to invest a lot in an older car, and typically only drive them because they don't have a lot of money or are cheap.

One of my jobs in college was a service writer, and we really didn't look forward to telling people they had a huge repair bill they weren't looking for - there was enough honest work out there that we didn't need to make stuff up. Now misdiagnosing things is another story!

Thank you for not judging and trying to understand. When I write it's about ME and MY experiences. It seems when you talk about bad dealership experiences, some people get upset so easily it's like your talking dirty about their family and it becomes very personal.

There have been instances mentioned here about moving a car and suddenly having problems. I get it! I was just upset that the dread of actually going there turned out to be coincidentally what I didn't want and that is what happened. So be it. It's at home waiting to be fixed by me. It could have broken when it was 0 degrees and snowing on a major highway and it didn't. I'll fix it this weekend and move on to something else.

Quote:
My dad and I were having breakfast together waiting for the car, when 10 minutes after I dropped it off, they called and said there was a major brake line leaking fluid all over the floor and the brake pedal almost bottomed out. I don't know how hard they beat on it driving it from the road to the empty bay 80' away, but now they asked me if I wanted an estimate for that "new" problem. I declined again, but I was for sure not a happy camper.

Quote:
I've been screwed over by 2 different GM dealerships with the same car. A few years ago another Pontiac/GMC/Cadillac dealer charged me $110 to misdiagnose a bad transmission for a faulty MAF sensor. They quoted me $2000 to R/R transmission and in real life a new $120 MAF from car parts store fixed it fine.

I'm sorry GM that I drive a nice looking, 99% rust free 240k mile 15 year old Impala loaded LS, but if this is how you deal with potential customers, I'm staying with Toyota. In fact, my beater Camry will have to do until I can get my Chevy back on the road. Four hours ago, my car was fine. Now it's on ramps in front of my house leaking brake fluid into a bucket waiting to fix it at home. What are the odds of it "just happening" when a dealer just drove it less than 100 feet? Dealers suck!!! frown

The reason you got the responses you did is because you came on the forum half cocked, started a rant thread about some evil dealer and your car- and you didn't even truly know what happened. Heck, you even accused them of beating on your car and asked "What are the odds of it just happening". Where were the facts? Where was the hard evidence/proof? And bashing a manufacturer for the actions of one of their independent dealers?

As I said before- these things do actually happen. I've heard tales of engines, transmissions and other major components failing on a test drive after the repair of an unrelated item.

Next time you start a rant thread about some loser dealer or indy mech, have actual knowledge of what happened. Make sure they are guilty before you crucify them on the www and no doubt you'll have no shortage of people wanting to jump on your bandwagon.

^ And the last thread I read the guy thought he had a transmission problem and it turned out to be the MAF sensor!

If you're paying for a diagnostic you expect it to be accurate, I get it...but stuff happens.

I'm a member of the older car club now too. I just made a trade deal with my son for his 2002 Cavalier (which I bought new) for my Challenger. He's liked that car ever since I bought it. I have noticed from personal experience that finding a good independent shop is your best bet. Keep those old domestic cars. The junkyard is littered with them as they were popular, making parts cheap. Also, cheaper to get new parts at the parts store as well as being widely available.

Guys that live in the south should junk anything over 15 years too no matter the condition because stuff gets old. Plain and simple.

LOL.... that's hilarious. For most common models the supply and ability to get wear and tear items is incredibly easy and pretty inexpensive as well, I own a 20 year old Honda and a 19 year old VW both in excellent condition and reasonably well serviced. I can still repair my old vehicles correctly and the cars are reliable, and also I keep a low insurance payment, and yearly auto property tax.

I have NO interest in a high car payment, and what's worse is todays cars have serious complexity (even the inexpensive ones!) and when the warranty expires it could be VERY expensive to repair those cars even after just a few years or so.

It's easier to keep a car back in your part of the country than to drive it across 6 hours of desert out west.....

The rear brake line just blew on my 1998 Chevy K3500 truck a couple of weeks ago while driving to the doctor. It still sits because the line is behind the gas tank and the gas tank is 3/4 full. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to replace the line.

The rear bleeder valves are very rusty and I doubt they will open. I have been soaking the valves as well as all unions for the past two weeks in hope that they will come apart without breaking.

I know this will turn into a cluster and I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Wayne

As a rule of thumb dealerships are terrible. But the brake linen could be a coincidence. Hows the rest of the line/car look ? I can't think of what they could do to blow a brake line. But heck the dealer ruined my aero shield and crushed the ac compressor guard so i wont put a thing past them, but they aren't all bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back