GM permitting 0w20 in 5w20 cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/22181002@N07/21090773982/in/dateposted-public/
I was out at a GM dealership today, doing contracting work and there service department I saw this bulletin. So basically they are saying is you can use 0w20 dexos1 oil in these cars calling for 5w20 dexos1.

Last edited:
I don't know how other people get pictures posted on here, but this is the best I could do. I like to make a complaint to the moderator to allow uploading of pictures to our post.

The only difference between 0W-20 and 5W-20 is the cold flowing properties. At operating temperatures, they are both 20 weight.

No surprise. My Silverado owner's manual calls for 5W-30 but states that in cold environments use of 0W-30 is allowed.

Originally Posted By: NH73
I like to make a complaint to the moderator to allow uploading of pictures to our post.

I bet they'll get right on that if you fund the server space and the bandwidth.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I like to make a complaint to the moderator to allow uploading of pictures to our post.

What? Really? How do others get pictures up on there post?

They use an image hosting service. They're not actually uploaded to BITOG. You had the correct idea; you just didn't wrap it in image tags. When you use the full screen editor, like you did to start (not the quick reply), there's an icon fourth from the left that will help you insert the image right into your post. I'm not sure how do it with flickr, though, but I bet someone else here does.

If you look through the BITOG Test Forum, you can see all kinds of things that people here do and try to do and how they accomplish them. If you want to see what a person did, using what tags, just click the "Quote" button below the message in which you're interested, and it'll show all the bulletin board tagging they used.

If you click the "Quote" on my message, you'll see the tagging I used, using the link button second from the left in the editor, to turn a URL into BITOG Test Forum underlined as a link.

As big as this site is, someone is making some money. This is an old outdated format if you ask me. BITOG could use a facelift.

Originally Posted By: Rat407

As big as this site is, someone is making some money. This is an old outdated format if you ask me. BITOG could use a facelift.

It's fine. Leave it alone.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

It's fine. Leave it alone.

+1. Simple and old school is best for this site.

2mq832t.jpg

I actually like the simple format. To each their own I guess.

Originally Posted By: jstutz

That's fine with me as long as you don't have to upload a picture.

I actually like the simple format. To each their own I guess.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
2mq832t.jpg

Thanks skyactiv. Off the rabbit trail I created. The reason I posted this is for those people with those vehicles or engines that they can use 0w20 dexos1 without worrying about there warranty.

Last edited:

I would normally agree, newer is better but not here. One of the few boards that is easy on the eyes and not clutter with a bunch of extra junk nobody uses most times on other boards.

What's outdated? The fact that you don't see 60 ads and 3 popups on each page? In that sense it is way behind the times. I can't see how that enhances the experience however. This site is one of the very few where you can turn off adblock and not really notice a difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stchman
The only difference between 0W-20 and 5W-20 is the cold flowing properties. At operating temperatures, they are both 20 weight.

When the oil is new, this is true. Maybe Honda and others were/are concerned the 0w-20's reliance on VII long-chain chemicals broke down too quickly in some engines. (Also not the S2000's use of 10w-30, high-revving.) Remember VII thickens oil at high temperatures.

See this confusing chart Honda put out in 2010:

yXteN.png

Making a 0w-20, you start with a thinner basestock oil compared to a 5w-20, and the 0w-20 will drop in hot viscosity over time sooner than the 5w-20 since the 0w-20 relies on VII polymers more. This varies some with what oil, GroupII or GroupIII,IV etc we compare, but in general Honda got nervous about what might/could/does happen in some of their high-performance engines especially. GM does not look as nervous about it.

Chevron Oronite's website says it best: "The oil’s viscosity falls during the test due to polymer coil breakage. In other words, only that part of the oil’s viscosity which is contributed by the VII polymer is susceptible to breakage. Neither the base oil nor the additive performance package suffers permanent viscosity loss. Moreover, different VII polymers have different shear stability characteristics, depending on the molecular weight and chemical nature of each. Those VIIs having higher molecular weight have a greater propensity for polymer coil breakage.

A VII polymer’s “Shear Stability Index” (SSI) is defined as its resistance to mechanical degradation (polymer coil breakage) under shearing stress.

Example: An oil is formulated with base oil of viscosity 5 cSt and a VII is used to increase its viscosity to 15 cSt. The VII’s viscosity contribution is therefore 10 cSt. During the shear test, the oil’s viscosity falls to 12 cSt. It has permanently lost 3 cSt of viscosity.

VIIs are available across a range of the SSI and oil formulators choose the appropriate VII product that allows them to meet their finished oil performance and marketing needs.
"

Making a 0w-20, you start with a thinner basestock oil compared to a 5w-20, and the 0w-20 will drop in hot viscosity over time sooner than the 5w-20 since the 0w-20 relies on VII polymers more. This varies some with what oil, GroupII or GroupIII,IV etc we compare, but in general Honda got nervous about what might/could/does happen in some of their high-performance engines especially. GM does not look as nervous about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back