grease for bicycle hubs/bearings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

What else we got? Motor oil on chains instead of a dedicated bicycle chain lubricant. You may just be right IN SOME INSTANCES, but your bold statement appears to say otherwise.

I worked in the industry as a mechanic including a service manager and warranty manager for a large Seattle bike shop. We didn't even use what we sold on the shelf because we could buy fork oil, chain lube, grease, etc. at the next door motorcycle shop cheaper with the 30% discount than off our own shelves at cost...knowing they were the same thing.

And no, motor oil is not a good chain lube. It washes off easy and has too many detergents that it will turn your chain black. But guess what, that $10 for a 4oz bottle of bicycle wet lube...it's called Bar Oil and can be found for $6 a quart at any hardware store.

There's nothing wrong with buying "Bicycle" lubricants, you know you'll get a quality product. But the point I am making is that this is just relabeled product that is commonly available for less (often much less) because it isn't called "bicycle grease" or "bicycle chain lube".

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I'm a big fan of Lubrimatic LMX Red grease.

In keeping with the theme/point of your post; is the above, or Mystic JT-6 Hi Temp, what is actually in the tubs/tubes of Bull Shot, which was the favorite grease (and also red in color) of the owner/mechanic of the shop I used to frequent??
21.gif

Bullshot was (haven't seen it for sale in years) was a lithium complex grease, just like you can find in just about any auto store. The greenish-blue Phil's Waterproof is an aluminum complex grease which tends to be more resistant to washout. As I mentioned before, Bel-Ray grease is basically the same stuff.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
As I mentioned before, Bel-Ray grease is basically the same stuff.

I'm guessing that the only brick and mortar places one has even a remote chance of finding this on the shelf of are motorcycle/'powersports' shops and dealers, correct?

I'd pick a grease that has high washout resistance. I think this should be the number one feature you'd want from a bicycle grease. Calcium based greases fit the bill.

How hot do you think a bike hubs gets? Never had a hot one, even after hours of riding. Even on a disc brake set up. But...YMMV.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Probably the highest loaded bike bearings would be competition Mtn bike bearings.

Yes, probably a downhill race bike with a heavier rider on it, bombing down a fast but 'technical' course, using very grippy hydraulic disc brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back