Time for a new shop computer- have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'd like to thank you for your help/input! I ended up going with a Dell from the Dell auction site- a Dell OptiPlex 790 SFF, 3.10 GHz Core i5 Quad, 4 GB, 250 GB, DVDRW, & Windows 7. Also a 23" LED monitor. I missed out on an i7 rig that had 8 gig of ram and no OS... Wasn't paying attention and got outbid.

I guess the main hanging point with the mini puters from System 75 or Fit PC was no disk drive. With the System 76 rig, upgrading to a bigger SSD, more RAM and the i5 processor made the price something like 650.00! I figured I would be better off with a tower style puter for less money.

Will likely put a SSD in and bump the RAM to 8 gig, then install 64 bit Ubuntu. Should I go with the LTS 14.04 or the newer 15?

Thought I'd update this thread, and thank whoever it was that suggested the Dell auction site - but not from this thread.

The little Dell got Ubuntu 14.04, maxed out on RAM (16 gig), a Samsung 250 gig SSD, a PCI wireless card from Think Penguin and a replacement case fan. I must say- this son of a gun ROCKS!

We are enjoying the MUCH larger screen (in fact, it's bigger than my home PC) and the ridiculously quick times to open something or surf to a different page.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Hey guys, I'd like to thank you for your help/input! I ended up going with a Dell from the Dell auction site- a Dell OptiPlex 790 SFF, 3.10 GHz Core i5 Quad, 4 GB, 250 GB, DVDRW, & Windows 7. Also a 23" LED monitor.

How much was it?

To clarify, the monitor was a separate auction. That I think went for 120?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back