For those who want to build a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a good idea for those that don't want to get their hands dirty...................Looks like it may be a challenge to clean it though.

I built my AMD system I'm on right now about a year ago. I liked the challenge. Good thing, because I don't have the time anymore to do it.

My prediction is that it'll be gone in 3-4 years. Prices sound like it's higher than a regular PC and one of the advantages of building your own is that you can spec your own parts and get the best bang for the buck depending on what you're designing it for.

In 1997 I built a PC with a Pentium MMX processor. I think it was 200Mhz. Bought all the parts on Fryz electronics, in LA, just like in a supermarket, taking the pieces from gondolas and so. Also bought a Win95/Office copies there. It end up costing more than a ready box, but was a fun project and I learnt a lot from that experience, specially with that pesky defective quantum hd ...

Last edited:
the well to do will buy it, brag about it, and then eventually sell it on ebay for pennies on the dollar.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
In 1997 I built a PC with a Pentium MMX processor. I think it was 200Mhz. Bought all the parts on Fryz electronics, in LA, just like in a supermarket, taking the pieces from gondolas and so. Also bought a Win95/Office copies there. It end up costing more than a ready box, but was a fun project and I learnt a lot from that experience, specially with that pesky defective quantum hd ...

I started building my own PC back in '85, that was a Turbo 8 Mhz 8088, had 512k of Ram which was a big jump up over the Commodore 64 I had before. No hard drive back then, just 360k floppies. Maybe it was around 1-2k, can't remember, way cheaper than the average price of 5k for an IBM machine at the time. Now it's no longer cheaper to build your own so the only real advantage is to get the best parts and build it exactly the way you want and not have any pre-installed bloatware on the machine. Otherwise it's just cheaper to buy one pre-built.

Given how easy it is to assemble a PC these days with commodity-priced parts I can only imagine that idea came from someone in Acer marketing who has been living under a rock for the past two decades.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Pontual

I started building my own PC back in '85, that was a Turbo 8 Mhz 8088, had 512k of Ram which was a big jump up over the Commodore 64 I had before. No hard drive back then, just 360k floppies. Maybe it was around 1-2k, can't remember, way cheaper than the average price of 5k for an IBM machine at the time. Now it's no longer cheaper to build your own so the only real advantage is to get the best parts and build it exactly the way you want and not have any pre-installed bloatware on the machine. Otherwise it's just cheaper to buy one pre-built.

That made me open the old wood chest mem ... I had one of those 8Mhz pre-multimedia (w/o CD drive), of 1 MB of RAM (the max available at the time), no modem, in 1988, but it was a prebuilt. It used the OS Windows 3.0, AutocadCAD2, also the state of the art! After that, circa 1993 came the multimedia Acer Across dual speed CD drive with 66 on the clock, with a 36kbps modem or something like that, maybe 2MB of RAM, OS Win 3.1 ...
Old Timers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back