2016 Kia Turbo 20W50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted earlier seeking confirmation that M1 5W30 is a good choice for this 2.0T TGDI.
The dealer insists that I should run 20W50 three seasons. Indeed the manual shows this as an option.
My guess us that will be the optimal solution for the turbo heat.

5w40 is a factory service manual recommendation for various hyundaikia 2.0t.

I would use 0w40 or 5w40 year round.

Originally Posted By: java
I posted earlier seeking confirmation that M1 5W30 is a good choice for this 2.0T TGDI.
The dealer insists that I should run 20W50 three seasons. Indeed the manual shows this as an option.
Why the 20w-50 shock?

Do you intend to do any competitive or track racing? If no then just use the recommended oil.

It is a popular misconception that turbocharged engines get ultra super hot during normal driving conditions when in reality they don't.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Do you intend to do any competitive or track racing? If no then just use the recommended oil.

It is a popular misconception that turbocharged engines get ultra super hot during normal driving conditions when in reality they don't.

Completely agree with ^^^

The manual says 20w-50 is OK?

Well its tough to argue with the manual, its not just falling to the whims of CAFE.

That said, there are enough high powered exotic cars out there running lighter oils that it is believable that there is no real plausible need for a 50wt, let alone a relatively low tech 20w-50.

If one buying an econobox kia with a hot engine was planning to scrimp on lube oils and only buy super tech blue bottle, heavier may be a better choice, but if a decent sun is selected, well, you're not going to be buying a 20w-50 anyway...

The manual indicates 20W50 above 20 degrees F.
Go to your Kia dealer and drive a 2016 Sorento SXL. Then rethink econobox. This thing is better built then my BMW 535i and Lexus ES350, both 2014 models.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The manual says 20w-50 is OK?

Well its tough to argue with the manual, its not just falling to the whims of CAFE.

That said, there are enough high powered exotic cars out there running lighter oils that it is believable that there is no real plausible need for a 50wt, let alone a relatively low tech 20w-50.

If one buying an econobox kia with a hot engine was planning to scrimp on lube oils and only buy super tech blue bottle, heavier may be a better choice, but if a decent sun is selected, well, you're not going to be buying a 20w-50 anyway...

Go to your Kia dealer and drive a 2016 Sorento SXL. Then rethink econobox. This thing is better built then my BMW 535i and Lexus ES350, both 2014 models.

This is the first time I hear that a Kia vehicle is better than BMW and Lexus.

Oil must meet ACEA A5 or higher for this application while under warranty.

What would be higher than A5? Pardon my ignorance.

Last edited:
Better built IMO. The BMW clearly drives better but the quality of the Kia is better. Fit and finish, NVH and tactile feel of controls. The BMW and Lexus both have very slightly nicer materials for dash. Given both cars cost $10-20K more than the Kia its reasonable. And I only notice as I am in all three cars almost everyday. I shopped X5, Touareg, MDX. On a whim I drove the Kia and never looked back. One mans opinion but Kia clearly moving on up.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

This is the first time I hear that a Kia vehicle is better than BMW and Lexus.

Yikes...it may be in the manual but honestly I think your optimal weight would be a 5w40. That way you have your cold and high temps covered. Change the oil according to the owners manual of course.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Yikes...it may be in the manual but honestly I think your optimal weight would be a 5w40. That way you have your cold and high temps covered. Change the oil according to the owners manual of course.

+1 The 2.0T sonata's prefer a 5w40 as well. no way i would run a low tech and dated 20w50 even if the manual allows it.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Oil must meet ACEA A5 or higher for this application while under warranty.

What would be higher than A5? Pardon my ignorance.

ACEA A3 would be.

In the past, when we asked HyundaiUSA (i know it isnt KIA, but same engine) about it's recommendations, they've said any certified 5W-30 SM/GF-4 will more than suffice for the very conservative 5000 mile max OCi, even 'SuperTECH'. They dont care whether you use a "marketed synthetic" (thier words) or not. Any reference to ACEA A5 is for long drain intervals in Europe and the very heavy 20W-50, for middle-east countries. Neither KIA nor Hyundai has had any major systemic engine issue since the Theta-II platform came out so i'd say they know what they're doing with the manual's recommendations.

KIA's recommendations may differ though.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Tracking a Kia?? Is that a troll post stchman?

Have not kept up with Kia, they may have a car that is very spirited at the track.

I have them. Cant figure out how to post them.
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Post a picture of the owners manual oil visc chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back