Used car min sale price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a coworker who wants to sell a car, and we got into a small debate. 88 Olds Ciera, 3.8L V6, one owner, meticulous maintenance, etc. 160k miles. 5k miles on tires. Only known issues are a brake line and fuel line that need to be replaced sooner than later, but he drives it here and there despite his new car now being used as the primary DD.

He wants to get $575 for it. I said any car that is driveable with minimal to no work needed, regardless of make, model, mileage etc can get $1200-$1500 all day.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It depends on how fast you want to get rid of it .

I agree. It should fetch about a $1,000 - $1,200.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It depends on how fast you want to get rid of it . I'd say $1000

+1

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Prove it to him. Buy it for $575, sell it and split the profit. Win/win.

Buy it, sell it for $1200, and and KEEP the profit!

Someone will drool over the 3.8 in a 2700 lb body.

I'm trying to sell a 2005 neon with 160k and current inspection for $1500, no biters. Only issue is it has aftermarket rocker panels crudely installed due to rust, which, if you're a glass half full type guy, "fixed" the rust.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Got a coworker who wants to sell a car, and we got into a small debate. 88 Olds Ciera, 3.8L V6, one owner, meticulous maintenance, etc. 160k miles. 5k miles on tires. Only known issues are a brake line and fuel line that need to be replaced sooner than later, but he drives it here and there despite his new car now being used as the primary DD.

He wants to get $575 for it. I said any car that is driveable with minimal to no work needed, regardless of make, model, mileage etc can get $1200-$1500 all day.

Thoughts?

If he wants $575, he should list it for $850 and let them talk him down.

But it's a 1988 Olds; aside from being in classic territory it's coming up on 30 years old, and there are a lot of things that go into the price - condition being one.

I'd never buy something that old with that many miles, unless it was mint or I was a collector.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Someone will drool over the 3.8 in a 2700 lb body.

I'm trying to sell a 2005 neon with 160k and current inspection for $1500, no biters. Only issue is it has aftermarket rocker panels crudely installed due to rust, which, if you're a glass half full type guy, "fixed" the rust.

The 3.8 was a great motor. The Neon is way over priced for the miles if you truly want to sell it.

$600 to $1000 around here. Really depends on locale that rolling relic is 27 years old. This kind of car you buy and hope for the best.

Believe it or not, the collapse in scrap prices is making cheap stuff available again, but it sounds like a decent car-if you were closer I'd send one of my needy friends or relatives over to buy it!

$575 is a good fair price. Most people feel when they but a vehicle it goes up in value. All jokes aside he could get more but it's a very fair and reasonable price.

I've owned 3 GM 3800's and I've never paid over $900 for any of them. Two of which had less then 100k miles.

The biggest problems with theses cars are electrical problems. Every single one I've owned has had electrical problems one time or another. Its incredibly annoying chasing down a fraid wire arching off the engine causing it to run very poorly.

If it's a good car it's a good car but I would bring a multi meter to make sure it has a good ground. It can save you a lot of time... And skin on your knuckles.

Regardless of condition it is very old..but list it higher and see if anyone wants it. Nothing to lose by asking more.

IMO the car is worth whatever the junk yard will give you for it.

If one brake line is deteriorated to the point of needing replacement, all the brake lines probably need to be replaced. Same goes for the fuel lines. That's a lot more than just "minimal" work. Quite honestly, I wouldn't take the car if it were free. Around here you can buy cars that are 10 years newer with less miles for $1,000.

My philosophy is that any car that cranks, runs, and drives with no major problems or safety issues is worth a thousand. Heck, you can recycle it to a scrapyard for $400, I think. He can always accept less than asking price.

Originally Posted By: THX1138
My philosophy is that any car that cranks, runs, and drives with no major problems or safety issues is worth a thousand. Heck, you can recycle it to a scrapyard for $400, I think. He can always accept less than asking price.

That's not true anymore I think scrap around here is approximately down to $100/ton

At $575 seems like it should sell quick. Then again it depends on what the local market is like. I had great trouble selling my old minivan for $500. Maybe due to the fact that it had 230K miles on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back