The real "stock car" racing days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just messing around and found some interesting and old photos doing a google of nascar drivers. I already miss Buddy Baker; may he rest in peace. I always loved the styling of the Plymouth Saviy and the Belvedere GTX/Satellite also

28wdkc2.jpg

15xmw61.jpg

2rh0ao3.jpg

dnn1ud.jpg

10drss1.jpg

9sz2jb.jpg

11txx81.jpg

I still cant figure out why Dodge isnt in Nascar. I liked the older days of Nascar when all the American brands were duking it out. Now the cars are so much alike it took the excitement out.

FCA sales are doing fine thanks to Jeep and RAM,I guess they don't need any so-called "Win on Sunday,sell on Monday" rub off to assist that.Now GM and its SS sales....that's another story...

Great old pics! I remember watching the races with my dad growing up and being able to pick cars out on the street that looked like the racers.

Thanks for the pics. I live 25 miles from the old Petty shop where the pic of Petty and Baker was taken. A fan could just walk in 'back in the day' and get an autograph and have a conversation with Richard. Oh how I long for the old 'big block' days.

Smokey Yunick wrote a book in the 60s or 70s on how to legally cheat. You know, using 1 inch diameter fuel lines from the tank, and inflating the tank with 5 psi air to increase the capacity etc etc It was a good read. He was fireballs mechanic.
at Darlington one year someone went thru the first turn guardrail, clipped off the telephone pole supports flush with the ground.

He was a great mechanic and seemed to understand the physics of engines. he said something like " most of the engines energy goes to produce heat" and if you could get the engine more efficient you could use a very tiny radiator.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Back when NASCAR consisted of actual cars, not tubular-framed plastic-bodied pictures of cars.

Correct!!!!!
thumbsup2.gif

This weekend, before the Nascar race, there will be a throwback
program to these races.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Back when NASCAR consisted of actual cars, not tubular-framed plastic-bodied pictures of cars.
And the cars were good looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back