What's your thoughts, feelings, opinions on GTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOPUS, Ashland, XOM called me and told me that I could have a buy one get one free deal for life IF I pushed their oil on here really well. So, maybe they don't care about the bottom line afterall
smile.gif

Castrol is a good oil. All the name brands make good oils.

IMO There is a bigger difference between different quality oils of the same brand (e.g GTX Vs Edge) then there is between equivalent oils of different brands.

I have probably used more Castrol products over the last twenty years than any other brand oil. No problems. However I do regularly try (and read about) other brands, just to keep an open mind.

It's mostly hair splitting and personal opinion, but I think the castrol mineral oils (GTX) are a little towards the rear of the pack (e.g. NOACK figures above), while castrol full synthetics oils (Edge with Ti) are a little towards the front of the pack ( Edge 0W40 has some PAO last time I asked).

So now days I tend to avoid GTX unless it's on sale and a great deal. I would probably go Shell (SOPUS) or Penrite for a mineral oil.
However, I prefer Castrol Edge over most synthetics and would be willing to pay a little extra for it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
As opposed to Shell, XOM, Ashland, CP, and all the other oil companies who don't worry about the bottom line at all, right?
wink.gif

Just as long as those other companies take care of their off-shore oil rigs and don't
cause any environmental disasters, I'll keep their motor oil on my shopping list.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
So, maybe they don't care about the bottom line afterall

That must be it.
wink.gif
The retailers here take good enough care of bottom lines. I'd love to know what percentage of their oil is sold at regular price at Walmart Canada and Canadian Tire. Are there suckers out there? Or has it just become a giant game for those two retailers?

For me personally, the only Castrol I typically use is the 0W40/30 (Euro Spec) for the VW. Other than their 0W40/30, I have never used Castrol in any other grade in any other vehicle. I just think there are better oils for the same price available.

Last edited:
Perfectly fine oil but I personally boycott any and all BP products.

While very few "oil companies" are environmental darlings, a lot are better than others. Sunoco, Shell, and even Chevron (human rights issues though) have better (but not perfect) records compared to BP and Exxon/Mobil. I know that BP like to claim it is doing more... but an ounce of prevention is worth more than billions in "cures".

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Garak
As opposed to Shell, XOM, Ashland, CP, and all the other oil companies who don't worry about the bottom line at all, right?
wink.gif

Just as long as those other companies take care of their off-shore oil rigs and don't
cause any environmental disasters, I'll keep their motor oil on my shopping list.
wink.gif

Exxon Valdez

Hey car51,

Since you like Castrol, can you get Castrol RX Super Diesel Engine Oil ?
It's a HDEO (mixed fleet oil), 15W-40, API CI-4+ / SL.

It's well respected over here and a good price. Don't know if you can get it there.

We don't get Shell Rotella over here, but some people use this Castrol HDEO in their cars and bikes, like others do with the Rotella over there.

A good heavy duty mineral oil for the right applications.

I buy Castrol because of the little OCI sticker on the back of the bottle
laugh.gif

Seriously, it's true. I just wish Shell would do it and I'd use their stuff in a flash.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
laugh.gif

Seriously, it's true. I just wish Shell would do it and I'd use their stuff in a flash.

If you buy a REPCO oil filter, it comes with a little OCI sticker in the box. Then you can use whatever oil you want.

Still, not as cool as when I had a Castrol Edge OCI sticker on my car.
I can handle the REPCO stickers, but not the SuperCheap Auto stickers.

Originally Posted By: SR5
laugh.gif

If you buy a REPCO oil filter, it comes with a little OCI sticker in the box. Then you can use whatever oil you want.

Ok, maybe i just cant think today. But whats a repco?

Originally Posted By: lexus114
laugh.gif

Sorry for the confusion Lex114, REPCO is a common auto store in Australia with their own line of filters (and other stuff). Crinkles and I are both from Oz.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
laugh.gif

Sorry for the confusion Lex114, REPCO is a common auto store in Australia with their own line of filters (and other stuff). Crinkles and I are both from Oz.

oh ok..thanks haha

Castrol is very very good oil. My dad has been putting well over 200k miles on vehicles for 40 years using castrol Dino

It'll do the job.

It is on higher side of the spectrum price wise for conventionals though and I feel there are better bargains. I feel this way about Valvoline too.

I wouldn't mind trying the HM formulation in the Jeep if I had to, but that is about it.

It's certainly not my favorite as my sister used it for years in one of her cars at 5k miles intervals and it left a orangey looking varnish on the valve train.

The car ran well, but I wasn't impressed with its ability to keep and engine clean.

I've used Castrol edge with TI before and it seemed decent. I generally don't buy it because I prefer other brands.

Before going all SOPUS, Castrol GTX was my go to oil. I used it because it was always on sale. I found that PYB and QSGB made my engines quieter. Since they go on for the same price as GTX there is no reason for me to go back.

Originally Posted By: Run
Before going all SOPUS, Castrol GTX was my go to oil. I used it because it was always on sale. I found that PYB and QSGB made my engines quieter. Since they go on for the same price as GTX there is no reason for me to go back.

I honestly didn't care what was going into my vehicles before I bought my first brand new vehicle. Usually whatever te special was at the local lube place was good enough for me.
I started my automotive life with a 93 jeep Cherokee 4.0L, then a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse V6 (worst vehicle I've owned), 2000 Chevy S10 V6, 2010 dodge nitro V6 and now my 2013 Honda Civic 1.8L. The civic has only known Honda genuine 0w-20 and M1 EP.

I will also say that BITOG has me more motivated to be more mindful of my vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back