Amsoil's Base Stocks, who supplies them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know who Amsoil purchases their basestocks from? I've heard in the past that they purchase them from Exxon/Mobil.

Do they still purchase from Exxon/Mobil or do they also purchase from Sopus, chevron, or other Refiners?

Some of the Specs for SS and PU SN are very similar in the 5w30 and 10w30 grades. Is Amsoil still using mostly PAO or are they possibly purchasing some GTL stock also?

I chatted with a jobber for Amsoil who told me they still get a lot of their base stock from Mobil. Since they now have broadened the line to include Group III blends, I would suspect they get base stocks from others as well. I am pretty sure the SS stuff is primarily PAO. The XL line I believe is a PAO/Grp III blend, and the OE line is primarily Grp III. But they also have different levels of TBN and other additive formulations as well in each of those product lines.

It's secret...and apparently not (all) Mobil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3826436/Re:_Amsoil_TEOST_Test_VS_Pennz#Post3826436

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Amsoil makes quality stuff.

Amsoil MIXES quality stuff...they don't actually make their synthetic base oil, it is sourced from ExxonMobil. It's their very robust additive package in their SS that makes it a strong oil.

Well not many actually make synthetic base oil, but Mobil doesn't supply all the base oil (Common internet myth). Amsoil purchases from various sources. Both base oils AND additives make an oil.

By not having API certification, they can shop around.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Do we know who Amsoil purchases their basestocks from? I've heard in the past that they purchase them from Exxon/Mobil.

Do they still purchase from Exxon/Mobil or do they also purchase from Sopus, chevron, or other Refiners?

Some of the Specs for SS and PU SN are very similar in the 5w30 and 10w30 grades. Is Amsoil still using mostly PAO or are they possibly purchasing some GTL stock also?

If you're talking about the old Pennzoil Ultra (which I don't believe was GTL), I can see some similarity to Amsoil SS in the 5W30 grade. Not so much for the new Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, which has a higher NOACK % than the new Pennzoil Platinum.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
By not having API certification, they can shop around.

To me, that means that their formulation can and does change on a regular basis. How do you know what you're getting?

I would guess that the Mobil SN formulation from 2011 is the same as the Mobil SN formulation from 2015.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

If you're talking about the old Pennzoil Ultra (which I don't believe was GTL), I can see some similarity to Amsoil SS in the 5W30 grade. Not so much for the new Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, which has a higher NOACK % than the new Pennzoil Platinum.

Yes, the old "low NOACK" formula, had similar specs.

Also if you look at PQIA. Amsoil OE and MSS could be interchanged. Add pack and NOACK are nearly identical within statistical error.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I chatted with a jobber for Amsoil who told me they still get a lot of their base stock from Mobil. Since they now have broadened the line to include Group III blends, I would suspect they get base stocks from others as well. I am pretty sure the SS stuff is primarily PAO. The XL line I believe is a PAO/Grp III blend, and the OE line is primarily Grp III. But they also have different levels of TBN and other additive formulations as well in each of those product lines.

I believe this is probably correct.

Quote:
I would guess that the Mobil SN formulation from 2011 is the same as the Mobil SN formulation from 2015.

They do tweaks. You can guess by looking at when the MSDS was updated.

Also if you look at PQIA. Amsoil OE and MSS could be interchanged. Add pack and NOACK are nearly identical within statistical error.

Amsoil OE actually looks incredibly similar to Super Tech in that 5W30 testing!!!
I think the one big difference is that ST had no moly.

A little
32.gif
here (what bitog thread isn't!
laugh.gif
), but for a brief period before the re-branding/re-labeling, Pennzoil was indeed using GTL base stocks circa 2013 and confirmed this in a Q&A.

Amsoil OE actually looks incredibly similar to Super Tech in that 5W30 testing!!!
I think the one big difference is that ST had no moly.

Very true. The MSS is almost the same. It even contains the same concentration of moly. Both ST and MSS are Dexos oils so definitely great lubes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie

A little
32.gif
here (what bitog thread isn't!
laugh.gif
), but for a brief period before the re-branding/re-labeling, Pennzoil was indeed using GTL base stocks circa 2013 and confirmed this in a Q&A.

Are they still using GTL basestocks in their conventional oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back