2008 f150 5.4 ticking noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007+ 5.4s and v10s got new heads and new spark plug design. They don't break.

It's the 2004 to 2007.5 year model 3vs with the bad head and spark plug design. This includes the 3v v10.

It was the 97-2003 2v motors that shot spark plugs out damaging the heads. Including the 2v v10.

Ops truck should be an easy spark plug change.
Also, a ticking phaser is no big deal. Rattling is. But if it goes away after warm up then I wouldn't worry. A broken phaser stays loud even after warn up.

Could be a noisy injector as well.

Last edited:
Use Motorcraft filters. I've seen where that helps this issue on the 04-08 5.4L & 4.6L F-150. I don't remember the specifics of why, but you can Google it.

Could just be lifter clatter. If that's the case a motorcraft filter might help.

That being said, there are some modulars - like mine - that clatter at start up regardless of the filter being used.

Lash adjusters, exhaust manifolds, and spark plugs issues are all about as common as one another, so it may be easiest to diagnose by the sound .. But you have to know the unique sounds each ailment makes.

Fords modular engines have never been accused of being too quiet. Generally reliable and robust in build, bunt not overly quiet.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Use Motorcraft filters. I've seen where that helps this issue on the 04-08 5.4L & 4.6L F-150. I don't remember the specifics of why, but you can Google it.
Because on some filters the ADBV does not prevent leak down and thus the engine has start up clatter--this is especially true of filters which do not have a silicone ADBV. Motorcraft filters (FL-820s) use silicone and I also use FRAM Ultras with no issues. However, if it is a cam phaser tick, the only "cure" is a repair or to lock out the phasers (which results in a slight loss of HP, but stops the noise).

With the miles you put on, the truck's odometer rolls over faster than yours.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
wink.gif

grin.gif
Thanks Garak!

Originally Posted By: Garak
wink.gif

Ah! to be 25 again
grin.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back