Make a cheap 4wheeler for kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, you got kids and 4 wheelers are expensive, here is a way to have one and not have a ton of money tied up, all you need is a yard, could be fun.

Last edited:
These kids are pretty good at this. That one kid is like 3 years old and he knows which tools are which.

I'm glad to see patient and kind brothers working together to accomplish a goal.

Many will make fun of them, but i believe society could learn a lot from these three. Very cool video.

I would have measured the belt and got one to fit, however.

Looks like a winner of a hobby to me. And they're staying out of trouble.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Looks like a winner of a hobby to me. And they're staying out of trouble.
19.gif

I'm on your side,,,,,

Used bikes seem to be pretty cheap too. I like motorized junk as much as the next guy, but for kids, muscle power, gravity, and 20lbs of steel is all the trouble they need...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Used bikes seem to be pretty cheap too. I like motorized junk as much as the next guy, but for kids, muscle power, gravity, and 20lbs of steel is all the trouble they need...

Yup, I learnt a lot of physics "drifting" my 20" Huffy. Put weight on the handlebars so the rear tire had little weight on it, lock its brake, and work it sideways with my thighs. I'd go so far to suspect that those who make stupid driving mistakes, like expecting friction on ice, never really rode bikes to their limits as youths.

Yep, the hours of ripping around on a bike does give a kid a good understanding of the basics of traction and driving. My SIL didn't do that as a kid and then she wanted to do autocross. It took about 1/4" of rubber off the front tires of my Neon to get the basics of the traction circle down, but now after a couple years of it, she's probably faster than me.
I think I'm just going to stick with motorbikes for my boys when they get a bit older. Or maybe just mountain bikes? Not sure yet. No motors are cheaper and safer I guess, and I need the exercise too!

I grew up visiting my grandparents farm summers in NH that bordered Maine where I had a good friend who's father did such things like these fast tractors.

The progression was incredible, at age 13 his dad got a few field beaters(Citation and Chevette) for $100 where I learned to drive a manual, driving in general, driving dynamics, and drifting. I also learned some basic mechanics and difference between FWD and RWD etc.

Definite redneck fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back