allowing vehicle to warm up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Start engine, put on seat-belt, turn on A/C ... but this time the idle goes down to less than 1000 RPM, shift to reverse to get out of the garage then go easy the first mile or two.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Some cars electronically limit available power based on oil temperatures

My turbo limits boost to 5 lbs until the oil is 150F. But you will not get that idling in the winter. You have to have some load on the engine to warm it up good.

My Accent will not get much above 130F if left idling in 0F temps.

Originally Posted By: Nissan101
LOL .....just a questions to see what others would have to say, if they allow their engines to heat up to operating temperature :p

Not in warm Hawaii. I just drive right away. I don't rev it up above 3k RPM until engine is warm though (i.e. oil temp reads 135 F).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Sure... my vehicles warm up while I drive them.

That's what I do. By the time my seatbelt is on it goes into gear and I drive it, but I don't try to do my best 0-60 time. I take it easy for a couple miles.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Some cars electronically limit available power based on oil temperatures
It hasn't been cold yet to see if it's true with my current Camry (I'm sure it is) but my 97 Camry limited power. When cold and trying to merge into traffic it had almost no power at all, computer said "No".

If you let a cold engine idle instead of starting it then driving off slowly, you are not only potentially hurting the engine, you are not warming up the rest of the vehicle.

Those that let the engine idle for several minutes and then take off at highway speeds, thinking it's warmed up so everything is ok, have not considered the rest of the car. Tires, brakes, differentials, transmissions, ect.all should be warned up slowly and gently and that's accomplished properly by driving and stopping smoothly and slowly for the first 2 or 3 miles(longer for cold, outside temps).

And no, I'm not an old fuddy duddy. Well, I am 76 but it wasn't that long ago when I participated in driver's schools at both Road Atlanta and Roebling Road wit my 1986 SAAB 9000 and my 1991 Camaro Z281LE. In 2001, I drag raced my 2001 Ford SVT Lightning at the Silver Dollar Raceway. Ah, those were the days😊.

Dan

The odd time if I'm running behind in the morning, the car will get a -20C start and 10 seconds later will be run at 1/2 throttle up the hill on my driveway... And if the windows are iced, I might drag the brakes at half throttle down the hill to build more heat...
All of them have had the drivetrain outlive the body, so my level abuse seems to be OK.

I start the vehicle, put on my seatbelt, and drive away. Even in the dead of winter our vehicles are never allowed to just sit and run-doing so would be a complete waste.

On the rare occasion that our temps dip below freezing (two months a year, if then), I let my cars idle for maybe another 30 seconds. That's beyond the 30 seconds I give it the rest of the year: starting, putting on my seat belt, turning on the radio, etc. My first two miles are not difficult in any case. But right after that I jump on the GNO bridge, which has a relatively steep incline, and I need to rev the car some (~ 3K rpm) to keep up with the crazies.

Even in cold weather, though, the coolant gauge is up to the midpoint and the vents are throwing heat by the time I reach the bridge, so I'd guess the 5W-30 oil is getting where it should be as well.

Depending on how cold it is I might let the truck idle for 4-5 minutes, if it's really cold I'll let the elevated idle take over for a little longer so I don't freeze but other than that just a few minutes and I'm driving gently. Granted it's a diesel and winter here can be -40F, fortunately these newer diesels are very reliable starters as long as the fuel doesn't gel up.

If it's hot I'll maybe start and go but if it been parked in sun I'm just as likely going to allow a couple minutes of cooling by heading for shade tree out back... In winter it's all about my comfort, they'll run till making heat... Could give a rat's [censored] about the gas used or well being of vehicle...

Start it, put it in gear and go.Even in winter i remote start it while i put my boots on so it runs maybe 3 or 4 mins max and i hit the road.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back