Scotty Kilmer on oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many that many members here love Scotty Kilmer videos. I really get a kick out of this old school, quirky and insightful mechanic. He had a TV show here in Houston before YouTube came about and he is always good for a laugh. I can't say I would recommend everything he does (like cleaning your catalytic converter in soapy water) but he is usually right on the mark.

What I found interesting was this video he recently uploaded about properly changing your engine oil. He talks about using top quality components to get the job done. Like proper OCI intervals (naturally), Pennzoil Platinum (good choice), and best of all, filter made by Purolator!!! Ahaha there are more of us than you expected eh Frampires!!
grin.gif
Lol. Enjoy the video!!

http://youtu.be/TnS53T3gcPg

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I know many that many members here love Scotty Kilmer videos.

Count me out of that club, guy is fixated on a couple of things and he's annoying AF

I am too anal to enjoy his videos. I might cut an oil filter open with an angle grinder, but I would not do it on video without a big disclaimer.

And......Most oil change videos make me squirm, because I find the makers are cavalier about not taking care to eliminate dirt introduced in the process. I may not be the neatest person, but I take pains to keep foreign material out of my engines.

Not sure I follow. 636 was my old radio call sign for a Fire Department I used to work for. Has nothing to do with Kawasaki or anything else.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Originally Posted By: jk_636
I know many that many members here love Scotty Kilmer videos.

Count me out of that club, guy is fixated on a couple of things and he's annoying AF

Seconded

I can hear him in my head "just give it a good tightening!" burn your torque specifications guys.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Paid propaganda, since in older video he said "I use Castrol GTX"...

What old school car guru didnt use Castrol GTX?

Scotty may be entertaining, but more often than not, when I watch his videos, I find myself cringing at at least one thing he does and thinking "tell me he's not actually advocating people do that!"

.. and so what if he says use a Purolator. he's one guy - How does his endorsement of their filters have ANY bearing on whether or not they're a quality product or if any other filter is good or bad? If he had said "use a Fram" would you have still posted this thread?

I don't think that by watching him you turn in your Bitog Card. Sure we may have different views than Scotty, but he's an interesting and kind of funny view. I enjoy his videos.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Scotty may be entertaining, but more often than not, when I watch his videos, I find myself cringing at at least one thing he does and thinking "tell me he's not actually advocating people do that!"

Yeah, like his advice on getting under a car without jack stands at time 3:00 in the video. A car coming down off a jack on to the tires will certainly kill you if the car is low to the ground like the one he's working on. He's a bit nuts sometimes.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Yeah, like his advice on getting under a car without jack stands at time 3:00 in the video. A car coming down off a jack on to the tires will certainly kill you if the car is low to the ground like the one he's working on. He's a bit nuts sometimes.

All of the weight of the car coming down is going to compress the suspension ... Which means there's going to be an oil pan / rocker panel / "frame" rail right on your head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back