Coffee - Your Current Brew

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
I had a huge bowl of latte ($5.75) with half a Danish ($3.25) and half a piece of pie ($3.75) in my favorite café La Boulange de Sunset on Irving Street this morning. No idea what coffee they use, but it's very good.

La Boulange's days are numbered - they were bought out by Starbucks a while ago. I love their pastries - their Danville cafe is a must-stop on my bike rides up Mt. Diablo.

And I raise you Bicycle Coffee or Blue Bottle from across the bay. But Peet's is my favorite macro brand.

Last edited:
A1eb90yEHZL._SL1500_.jpg

Bought this on sale for $3.99 at local grocery store Ralphs last night. Tried it this morning, it is very smooth with good aroma and decent crema. It isn't as good as the best Italian espresso such as Illy or Alessi, but not too far behind. I think it is about as good as Lavazza Crema e Gusto or Qualita Rossa.

For 33 cents an ounce it is a good alternative to the more expensive Alessi at 73 cents and $1.36 for Illy.

Amazon has it at $9, so $4 is a bargain.

A1eb90yEHZL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Because of the "coffee culture" at work, I only drank tea at home until a few months ago.
At 1st I bought lbs of ground drip coffee that would go bad before it was used up, so I bought one of those little hand held grinders.

WOW! GREAT THREAD I'VE READ IT ALL.

1)...."Crema" now in my vocabulary-I have to look it up the definition so I can use the word.
2)....Tennessee must be a fantastically civilized place with all those roasting outlets.
3)....I employ "Mom's recipe" of 8 o'clock Columbian Dark and regular (red bag) in a 3:1 ratio.
.......It's consistently good for the brewer we use.
3a)..The differences among brewers is a true wild card when making coffee.
4)....Gotta get to an Aldi's to try their coffee
5)....My coffee experiences in Germany were over-all very positive.
6)....Coffee in Sweden is good but uniformly quite strong
7)....Starbuck's is pencil lead.
8)....Sis and brother-in-law used to add Bustelo to the locally roasted restaurant blend coffee they served in their restaurant. It added a rich tone.
.......The customers loved their coffee.
9)....Remember, add a dash of conventional oil to your coffee for smoothness, never synthetic. Kira

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Picked up a can of this at my local World Market. Haven't tried it yet...

DSC_9890.jpg

I hope you enjoy it QP. I recently found it in capsule format to fit my Lavazza machine; so it's my daily espresso for now.

Nice aroma and good crema.

Thanks. I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that they specifically call it espresso, but then say that it's suitable for all coffee makers. Makes me wonder whether it truly is an espresso grind. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Probably for marketing purposes. I rarely buy pre-ground espresso, but when I do and I don't enjoy it, I use it for drip. I have a #4 type filter which calls for a fine/espresso grind anyway.

Or, maybe they meant all types of ESPRESSO makers (Mokas, semi-automatics, etc.) Essentially a translation error.

BTW, I tried the Danesi. It's pretty good but, you're right, expensive.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Or, maybe they meant all types of ESPRESSO makers (Mokas, semi-automatics, etc.) Essentially a translation error.

They actually have a picture on the back, and it shows all kinds of coffee makers, including something that looks like a traditional drip.

P1020030.jpg

Alessi, on the other hand, is more specific and says "for all types of espresso machines" only.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR

They actually have a picture on the back, and it shows all kinds of coffee makers, including something that looks like a traditional drip.

P1020030.jpg

Alessi, on the other hand, is more specific and says "for all types of espresso machines" only.

Oh, it actually shows the coffee makers; I've seen that before.

Apparently, some roasters use a state of the art industrial grinder which allows for a "universal" type of grind.

I will believe it, when I see it.

Reminds me of the "All-season" tire. LOL.

Interesting.

I always thought espresso was just a brewing method, but that it worked best with a fairly fine grind. On the other hand, you can make espresso from various roast styles/levels.

Well, this KIMBO appears to be a rather fine grind, typical of other espresso grinds. As for taste, it's really good. Nice crema, and great blend of smoothness and strength. It is now my favorite, along with Alessi. It's a bit more expensive though - it was $8/can, and that was the sale price.

Well, this KIMBO appears to be a rather fine grind, typical of other espresso grinds. As for taste, it's really good. Nice crema, and great blend of smoothness and strength. It is now my favorite, along with Alessi. It's a bit more expensive though - it was $8/can, and that was the sale price.

Good to hear; Kimbo makes good espresso coffee. They have one called "Export" that is very good too, IMO.

If you have a burr grinder, Kimbo is also available in whole beans(1kg).

Getting ready to have another cup.

http://www.shopwell.com/always-save-coffee-ground/nc/p/7003830695

We do not buy the expensive coffee, do not need the ego ride. We were buying the Classic Roast Folgers at $9.99 or more a can at Sam's Club, but now we buy Always Save Coffee at a local Mom and Pop grocery store for $4.99. The can holds 34.5 oz. Hey, its good coffee, works for us. I still like Folgers, but why pay them for a name brand, when good old Always Save works...kind of like buying a less expensive car with air-conditioning and it rides and cools just as good as a Lincoln.....just saying----- smoke'm if you got'em.

Back