Any SVD owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been pondering about getting a Dragunov rifle. Some people would suggest a Barrett but I am not interested in a large caliber rifle. 7.62mm is good.

The question is, is there anything American made that is equivalent of SVD? Because I have not seen any reputable retailer selling SVD and I do not know if I can trust private sellers on auction sites.

Like bandito said, the Springfield Armory M1A1, then there are the AR-10s .
The M1A! is a classic, not cheap nor or the magazines but truly
a pleasure to shoot.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
The question is, is there anything American made that is equivalent of SVD? Because I have not seen any reputable retailer selling SVD and I do not know if I can trust private sellers on auction sites.

There is the Nemo Omen. It is a semi auto .300 Win. Mag. that has been getting rave reviews in both accuracy, and dependability. They don't come cheap.

https://nemoarms.com/portfolio/omen_asp/

A fulton armory or even better an LRB made M14 would be the best 7.62 semi auto analog of an SVD.

Problem with the SVD is they were banned from import back in the Clinton years in a treaty with Russia. The only other source was China but again....clinton banned imports of Chinese rifles and pistols 20 years ago. So you have to get one on the used market from a private seller, collector, or dealer.

Note that the SVD is not accurate to the same standards as American Sniper Rifles. For the Soviets, it was more of a designated marksmen type rifle.

Now you can get American made FAL's from DSA and American made HK type rifles from PTR that will be other options.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: CT8
30 cal. box-fed semi-auto for longer range shooting and American-made?

The Springfield M1A is your solution. Choose your flavor:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series/
Springfields M1As suck.

What about them do you find so unappealing?

Many don't like they use cast receivers instead of forgings like the originals. The bolts are okay, but not great, especially when it comes to the guts. Those are two issues I know people have with them off the top of my head. I know I almost bought a Springfield made M1 Garand a few times, but I could never find one that held a decent group. Ended up with beat up USGI one brought back in from Denmark via CMP that shot way better.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Many don't like they use cast receivers instead of forgings like the originals. The bolts are okay, but not great, especially when it comes to the guts.

These same people must hate most anything made by Ruger.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: CT8
30 cal. box-fed semi-auto for longer range shooting and American-made?

The Springfield M1A is your solution. Choose your flavor:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series/
Springfields M1As suck.

What about them do you find so unappealing?

Many don't like they use cast receivers instead of forgings like the originals. The bolts are okay, but not great, especially when it comes to the guts. Those are two issues I know people have with them off the top of my head. I know I almost bought a Springfield made M1 Garand a few times, but I could never find one that held a decent group. Ended up with beat up USGI one brought back in from Denmark via CMP that shot way better.

Well, at least that's something constructive other than suggesting that they "suck" without further explanation. Thank you.

FWIW, I put a few magazines through the Scout Squad version this year. It kept a good group and was a pleasure to shoot. I love the action.

They're probably as close to the SVD as anything American-made.

At one time they [Springfield Armory] were made with military surplus parts they would stand up to any kind or hard use. the quality was remarkable. I owned 3 and they were accurate to almost benchrest target accurate and would last and last. Todays Springfields are made in Taiwan low end parts. unremarkable to say the least to a discerning shopper.

I always wanted a Dragunov semi auto 7.62 x 54r rifle. I looked for a reasonably priced one for years. Finally gave up.

Funny story: I ordered some 54r ammo from Midway way back when it was cheap. They sent me many times more than my original order of 2 tins. So I have a good bit of 54r. They also included a "bonus" ammo can full of Indian 308 (for free) (who knows if it's any good)

I could not believe it when UPS pulled up and continued to unload the truck for multiple hand-truck loads...

I called and spoke with them about the "overage" and they simply laughed, claimed they were trying to get rid of this surplus ammo and said "keep it". It would cost more to send it back.

I kept my end of the bargain and continue to order from Midway!!! I have always appreciated that bit of customer service!!

I have an old ,made in the USA Springfield M1A1 from the early 90s and it is a quality made weapon.
Sorry to hear they are now made in Asia.

The next best thing to a genuine Russian SVD Dragunov is the Chinese Type 79 (NDM-86) in 7.62x54r. It's a great shooting rifle with the right ammo. My Springfield M1A is more accurate, though.

What do you like about the Dragunov?

IMG_3126_zpsu34vjyk6.jpg

I like the reliability of it. It's a proven design and since I only need it for marksmanship, not as a sniper rifle, it fits well with my needs.

Another option might be the Romanian PSL54. Although it looks similar, it's completely different than the SVD in function . The PSL is essentially an overgrown Kalashnikov with a long barrel and chambered for the 7.62x54r cartridge. The ones that I've owned have been very accurate with the right ammo. The PSL rifles used to be easy to find and relatively cheap(~$700) before they quit importing them, but you can still find nice ones in the $1200-$1500 range on the secondary market.

IMG_4412_zps2lo7dnsn.jpg

Have you looked at the Molot VEPR rifles? I've never owned one, but they are supposed to be made well, and another alternative to the PSL or maybe even the SVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back