Another Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes vehicle. My first GM product in my 25 years of owning vehicles.

1. What kind of vehicle you have? 2011 Buick Enclave 3.6L DI 70k Miles

2. What your owner's manual says and change intervals as well? 5W30 Dexos1 OCI every 5K. Currently using Kendall Full Synthetic 5W30 AC Delco PF63 non-Ecore (have about 4 of these left).

3. Where you live? Northeast Ga. Fairly predictable weather: 3 months of High 80's to mid 90's, 3 months of 40's to 70's Spring and Fall, and 3 months of 30's to 50's. Snow a couple times of year for less than a week. Occasional single digits and teens, probably several weeks per Winter.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) She drives hard. Quick off the block and quick to stop.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) 50% country 2 lane 55-70mph. 25% 30-50mph small town stop and go. 25% highway 75-80mph. Interstate 1-2 times per month for an hour or so at 75-80mph. Long vacation driving trip a couple times per year interstate 75-100mph for 5-6 hours.

6. Whether your car has any known problems? No know issues. Uses about 1/2 to 1 qt oil between changes. But no detectable leaks.

Vehicle will be kept for several more years unless issues come up. Honestly it's been a good vehicle so far besides the annoying half dozen recalls it's had. From reading a lot of horror stories about this engine I've always been concerned about it. I've read many UOA's of the Penn Ultra working well in this engine but since the reformulation I'm not sure anymore. I'm not set on the Kendall, just figured I'd give it a try. It did develop a loud tick at startup after my wife took it to a local independent guy for the last oil change. He used a Might Guard II filter and who knows what oil. I changed the oil and filter @ 1684 miles and no more tick.

If you're only keeping it another few years just use a cheap Dexos blend or synthetic (SuperTech) and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
If you're only keeping it another few years just use a cheap Dexos blend or synthetic (SuperTech) and call it a day.

By several I really meant prolly 4-5 years if all is well.

I say keep doing what your doing.. seems to have been working for you so far. Kendall is a good oil. And you can't go wrong with the Delco filter.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
I say keep doing what your doing.. seems to have been working for you so far. Kendall is a good oil. And you can't go wrong with the Delco filter.

I think so too. I sent off the unknown oil from the last oil change to be analyzed just out of curiosity. I'll probably have the next 2-3 oil changes with the Kendall analyzed and go from there.

Originally Posted By: freshcopedawg
My first GM product...

it's been a good vehicle so far besides the annoying half dozen recalls it's had. From reading a lot of horror stories about this engine I've always been concerned about it.

Is your car still under warranty?

I had a similiar 2011 GM SUV and we had nothing but problems. It spent a considerable amount of time at the dealer for all kinds of warranty work including a transmission at 30k, 50k, and 72k. Traded it the next day at 72k miles.

I used PP 5w30 and a Fram Ultra. Had no oil concerns during it's short life, although it did burn a bit.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wait-what-c...-miles-shorter/

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
My first GM product...

it's been a good vehicle so far besides the annoying half dozen recalls it's had. From reading a lot of horror stories about this engine I've always been concerned about it.

Is your car still under warranty?

I had a similiar 2011 GM SUV and we had nothing but problems. It spent a considerable amount of time at the dealer for all kinds of warranty work including a transmission at 30k, 50k, and 72k. Traded it the next day at 72k miles.

I used PP 5w30 and a Fram Ultra. Had no oil concerns during it's short life, although it did burn a bit.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wait-what-c...-miles-shorter/

It is still under the powertrain warranty until next July. (Knock on wood) We have had no real issues with the vehicle mechanically. You had 3 new transmissions? Wow. Must have gotten a lemon. This is our first GM ever and probably last. We bought it because it was a perfect size for our 3 kids with the second row bucket seats. My wife refuses to drive a minivan. I think I'll do the same thing as with my truck and have UOA's for the next 3 oil changes with the Kendall and go from there. If I see anything we may just dump it. She's had 2 Infiniti's and a Land Rover before this. The Infiniti's were perfect but the Land Rover was a money pit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back