Charge-for-Oil Shift Gains Momentum

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Lube Report

Originally Posted By: Lube Report
“These collectors are nervous that if they are the first to charge for used oil collection, their customers will shop around and find someone else who is still picking up used oil for free – or even paying a little for used oil – and they will lose important accounts and market share,” he explained. “From the customer’s perspective, the difference between being paid a few pennies a gallon, or charged a few pennies, can seem like a big deal, even though in real dollar terms it is insignificant. For example, for a typical used oil generator who has 1,000 gallons of used oil annually to be collected, a five-cent swing in their price only represents $50 per year. But the perception that they are now paying for a service instead of being paid for the oil causes some customers to hesitate.”

Do you think that this hesitation will cause people to find other - maybe less environmentally friendly ways of used oil disposal? I understand the rerefiners wanting the extra revenue to make up for their losses due to base oil price depression (why pay for rerefined when virgin base oil is the same or within $0.10/Gal)?

I think that the market should support rerefiners because their products are comparable in quality (most of the time) and it's good for the environment.

I guess that's more than "a few pennies per gallon" - depending on your definition of "few".
grin.gif

To me, a gallon of good waste oil is equal to the cost of a gallon of diesel. But some stuff I get is too nasty to put in my fuel tank, so I take that to the local AZ.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
To me, a gallon of good waste oil is equal to the cost of a gallon of diesel. But some stuff I get is too nasty to put in my fuel tank, so I take that to the local AZ.

how do you prep you used oil for use as diesel?

I let it settle for a couple of weeks and filter it a couple of times. Mostly I make sure I know what I'm putting in it. I've run gear oil, ATF, and used motor oil. I used to have a steady supply of waste oil out of valvetrain test rigs from where I used to work. I ran concentrations up to 15% with that stuff (M1 0w20), but mostly around 10%. I don't run waste oil during the winter, and I've never been brave enough to run waste diesel oil.

What kind of filter? I have a few barrels of used oil and a diesel fuel furnace that I would like to burn it in diluted with the diesel fuel.

I'll have to set up a stand alone filter to use before dumping it in the tank. Do you run straight used oil or what ratio of diesel to oil do you use.

Quote:
Sorry for hijacking this thread. It will continue on in a normal fashion soon.........

I just pour the filtered waste oil into my fuel tank a gallon at a time. In a 34 gallon tank, one gallon is 3%, two gallons is 6%, three gallons is 9%, etc. I put the oil in before filling with fuel so the fresh fuel disperses the oil.

Depends on the operation size.

I'd say most businesses that needs licensing would not dare to dump the oil down the rainstorm, but mom and pop or DIYer may feel cheated and just dump them down rainstorm.

Parts store having free oil drop off is a good compromise. If it does cost a lot of money, let local governments pay for it so they don't cause even more expensive pollution to clean up is a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back