Sebastian Vettel: 160 (-67)
Constructors
Mercedes: 426
Ferrari: 242 (-184)
Williams: 161 (-265)

For more please check out my post on TOV Motorsports

12_Italy_E_300DPI-886x498.jpg

Last edited:
gofast182, are plans still on track (no pun intended) to get a race for New Jersey? In what, 2017?

Talk had died completely for about a year but I read a story a couple months ago that Bernie still wants it. Who knows? But an F1 race less than an hour from my house...oh man would that be awesome!

Investigation concerning tire pressure on Hamilton's car. I think they also broke rules by coaching him at the end of the race. Time penalty, stripped win, and grid spot penalties are all possible.

Yeesh. If there was concern about his tires, they should have just yanked him in for the stop. I think they had the time, and given the performance differential after a quick stop, it should have been okay. Then again, nothing ever goes wrong in a pit stop.
wink.gif

This "Golden Boy" has got the free pass. It is more likely that his teammate will get a penalty for catching fire. They have coached him in other races, even going as far as telling him when to start coasting in the braking zone and nothing was ever said about it.

If his tires were underinflated, then they were, pure and simple. They'll cook him over it. Formula 1 can be noted for being extremely pimpy in these type of situations.

Originally Posted By: whip
Investigation concerning tire pressure on Hamilton's car. I think they also broke rules by coaching him at the end of the race. Time penalty, stripped win, and grid spot penalties are all possible.

Which words do you interpret as 'coaching'?

It has been suggested that only in Italy could the FIA have concocted this scenario. Who stood to gain from a Lulu DQ? Mmm-hmm.

Originally Posted By: Tosh
It has been suggested that only in Italy could the FIA have concocted this scenario. Who stood to gain from a Lulu DQ? Mmm-hmm.

I wouldn't read anything into it. It's just F1, along with the FIA doing what they do best, picking fly $h!t out of pepper. I wouldn't be surprised if they bumped Vettel down to third because the lettering on his right rear was one lug out of time with the left front.

From what I can gather the tyre pressure rules were hastily introduced following Spa. It appears that the rule is not very well written and is therefore open to interpretation. I don't have all of the facts yet because the rule in question hasn't even been made public yet!

"Having heard from the technical delegate, the team representatives and the Pirelli team tyre engineer, the stewards have determined that the pressures in the tyres concerned were at the minimum start pressure recommended by Pirelli when they were fitted to the car," said an FIA statement.

"In making this determination regarding pressures, the stewards noted that the tyre warming blankets had been disconnected from their power source as a normal procedure and the tyres were significantly below the maximum permitted tyre blanket temperature at the time of the FIA's measurement on the grid and at significantly different temperatures from other cars measured on the grid.

"Further the stewards are satisfied that the team followed the currently specified procedure, supervised by the tyre manufacturer, for the safe operation of the tyres.

"Therefore the stewards decide to take no further action."

Mercedes motorsport chief Toto Wolff underlined that the team had been confident the measurement was legal at the correct time.

"We were exactly on the minimum pressures like we should have been when the tyres were put on the car," he said.

"I don't know where the discrepancy came from, but it was not a mistake done by the team in order to gain an advantage."

Wolff added that "we need to talk about procedures in the future" and the stewards also suggested a clarification on how and when pressures are measured.

"Nevertheless, the stewards recommend that the tyre manufacturer and the FIA hold further meetings to provide clear guidance to the teams on measurement protocols," their statement concluded.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
From what I can gather the tyre pressure rules were hastily introduced following Spa. It appears that the rule is not very well written and is therefore open to interpretation.

Steve Matchett read the rule as written on the air after the race. Seemed pretty clear. The tires have to be up to a minimum pressure as checked on FIA certified equipment. One of Hamilton's was not. The only excuse Mercedes put forth at the time, is it checked fine on their gauges, which is irrelevant.

Formula 1 rule changes seem to take place every 5 minutes. This one is no different. They changed the start procedure, and it cost Kimi the race, or at least a podium. They didn't complain. Whatever they do, it's always the same for everyone. Now they're all over tire pressures because of what happened to Rosberg and Vettel. And the fact Pirelli is making a big deal over it. Because it's a monkey they'd rather have on someone else's back. In this case, Hamilton's for running the incorrect pressure. This is nothing more than a complicated game of CYA by Pirelli. Michelin and Bridgestone never pulled this nonsense.

The problem with the rule as I understand it is that it only specifies the pressure when the heating blanket is on the tyre. Once the blanket is off there appears to be no provision to account for the fact that the temperature, and therefore the pressure, will then of course fall.

I agree with you about Pirelli. This is a nice deflection away from the Spa problem.

Last edited:
This is like a dog chasing it's tail. The FIA is making this stink over 1/3rd of a PSI. Heating a tire, either by driving on it, or with an electric heating blanket, can raise it a couple of PSI easily. So now the whole thing becomes some type of silly game, as to exactly when the tire is checked after the blanket is removed. Man, the FIA is becoming an expert at creating problems where none exist.

Originally Posted By: billt460
This is like a dog chasing it's tail. The FIA is making this stink over 1/3rd of a PSI. Heating a tire, either by driving on it, or with an electric heating blanket, can raise it a couple of PSI easily. So now the whole thing becomes some type of silly game, as to exactly when the tire is checked after the blanket is removed. Man, the FIA is becoming an expert at creating problems where none exist.

You are right. They seem to want to ignore the laws of physics. Let's pretend that Charles Law doesn't exist!

Here's a bit more to add to the story.

Mercedes has welcomed the idea of a push to establish a firm tyre checking protocol in Formula 1, following the post-race controversy involving Lewis Hamilton.

The FIA stewards were asked to investigate whether or not Mercedes had broken the rules at the Italian Grand Prix when Hamilton's left rear tyre was found to be below the minimum pressure recommended by Pirelli shortly before the start of the race.

In the end, it was deemed that the team had operated within the rules because it was shown that when the tyres were fitted to the car they were above the limit.

The pressures had only dropped as the result of the rubber cooling while the tyre blankets were disconnected.

In the stewards' statement it was suggested that "the tyre manufacturer and the FIA hold further meetings to provide clear guidance to the teams on measurement protocol."

Good news

The idea of establishing a better protocol comes because there is no established system for when the tyres should be measured.

Mercedes and Pirelli had worked on the idea of the tyres being measured when they were fitted to the cars and heated from tyre blankets, while the FIA checks that found an issue took place just a few minutes before the start of the race when the tyres had began to cool.

Toto Wolff, Mercedes motorsport boss, said: “You check the tyre pressures when you put them on the car.

“It is about defining the procedure when those pressures are being checked in the future, so it is the same for everybody.”

Cable chaos

Wolff said it did not make sense to ensure the tyres where heated for the whole period before the start of the race, because at some point the blankets needed to be unplugged.

“If you wouldn’t disconnect the tyres from the generator, you would need four generators behind every car,” he said. “There would be cables all over the place.

“So the normal procedure is you keep the tyres warm when you put them on the car.”

Further investigation

It is likely that Mercedes will conduct its own investigation in to the circumstances surrounding what happened – and in particular why there was such a pressure difference between Hamilton and Nico Rosberg's cars.

“We don’t know why there was a discrepancy,” he said. “At the end of the day it can be performance costly if you have one tyre that is a different pressure from the others.”

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Originally Posted By: billt460

You are right. They seem to want to ignore the laws of physics. Let's pretend that Charles Law doesn't exist!

And furthermore, the tire pressure will be even higher once it's up to operating temperature on the track. I used to believe that the FIA would penalize someone who's running away with the championship in order to keep it close. But they've gone crazy this year issuing multiple grid spot penalties against backmarkers for engine changes. 55 grid spots against McLaren? Get real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back