Michelin Pilot A/S vs Goodyear F1 GSD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of Noise and ride comfort, which one is best?

People seem to be quiet impressed with both from Tire Rack reviews.

Apparently the goodyear is made in Germany and imported here. Almost sounds like german castrol
smile.gif

I am hung between upgrading to the A/S or Goodyears here.

Basically I want a high performance tire that can act like a touring tire...and when im driving fast im not sweating fearing a catastrophic loss of control on curves.

Thanks-

Outrun,

Have you thought about the Toyo Z 800 Ultras?
I have them now and can say that I'm very impressed with what I've experienced driving wise.

Good Luck in you search,

Scotto

I recently purchased Yokohama's A539's and very impressed. Great value for money too (here in Oz anyway). Guy here just put AVS Sport on his VW Bora V5 and reckons better than the Michelin Pilot MMX they replaced.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
In terms of Noise and ride comfort, which one is best?

People seem to be quiet impressed with both from Tire Rack reviews.

Apparently the goodyear is made in Germany and imported here. Almost sounds like german castrol
smile.gif

I am hung between upgrading to the A/S or Goodyears here.

Basically I want a high performance tire that can act like a touring tire...and when im driving fast im not sweating fearing a catastrophic loss of control on curves.

Thanks-

What size?

A couple options

with standard 16 x 8 wheel

245/50/16 (standard)

225/60/16 touring option

Upgrade to 17 x 8

225/50/17

275/40/17

*I would lean toward the smaller tread thickness tires since it usually means better fuel economy*

The 60 series is little thick sidewall, i like lower profile goodies.

Prefer load rating index to be at least stock which is 96.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:

Without a doubt, the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S.

[ February 16, 2004, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

It's always tough to compare replacement tires. Generally the tires that are replaced are shot and well, aren't at there best. I used to work for Pirelli and nowadays any major brand can produce a top quality performance oriented tire, including TOYO
lol.gif
. I wouldn't say they make the best but at a price point they make a good tire with decent value.

I've been outta the game for a few years so my opinion is only that.

Goodyear makes a decent tire there presence in top level racing has been missed for awhile now but they do manage to stay in the Ultra High Performance game, OEM fitment being the barometer. I remember the GY ZR Gatorback being a very formidable tire in dry traction - absolutly lacking in wet traction despite the proliferate marketing jango saying otherwise. They do now as you know have a very comprehensive and capable line of UHP tires.

Michelin has had the benefit of very recent top level racing experience, Formula 1 (in competition with Bridgestone, a very good situation for the race fan!), WRC, World Superbike and now, this year AMA racing. I currently run either a Michelin or Bridgestone on my motorcycle and BFGoodrich on the truck (Michelin owned).

I quickly googled GY and Mich. to see exactly your choices and I can say this:

The GS-D is a tire that's been around for awhile it has seen OEM fitment, can't recall which model I used to know
confused.gif
. Should be good. It's still around and has probably seen some development since it's introduction. It is a UHP tire and is obviously a very very good dry handling tire, probably a good wet tire too. Just doesn't have the siping for any snow or ice traction. It may say M+S but it doent't mean M+S, it just says it.

The Michelin A/S: A new tire, benefiting from the technology derived during racing. The World Rally Championship experience hopefully went into this tire because it is heavily siped and promises to be all things according to the promo literature. On a high horsepower vehicle I don't see this tire being a good dry performer. It will be an excellent performer in the wet and should have superior performance in snow and ice over the GS-D, given the tread design and advanced compounding.

They are both good tires it's a choice between the old and the new. The Old promises at least dry traction and probably decent wet traction. The New promises it all, dry, wet, and winter a real UHP all-season performer (If it's true it will shatter my preconceptions).

Longevity of tires like this of course should not even be considered.

Sorry I can't recommend a Pirelli tire they seem to have missed the boat and haven't introduced a new tire in some time.

What is the tire going on?

"PIRELLI",A FINE ITALIAN TIRE !
Dego through sand
Dego through mud
Dego through rain
Dego through snow
And when Dego flat
Dego,WOP,WOP,WOP !

Just a little humor,
don't get out of shape.
Have a great week.

I don't know about the Michelins, but my summer tire is the F1 GS D3 and I love them! Very quiet, they stick like glue and great in the rain too, very impressive.

Both the Pilot a/s & the gs-d3 are great tires and are popular with drivers of luxury performance cars. I understand the pilot a/s gets a bit noisey after 20K miles and few people get 30K out of them, but they do have reasonable snow traction for an a/s tire. The gs/d3 on the other hand does poorly on snow, but, like the pilot a/s, does great on dry & wet roads. It's more like a S03 with a quieter, smoother ride.

I'd personally go with the gs-d3, regardless of price. I run winter tires (Arctic Alpins) from Nov-March, though.

i just got a set of continental conti-extremes and i've been very pleased. excellent traction on dry, wet, snow and ice. noise level isn't really an issue for me.

i ordered them from tirerack.com and had them installed locally.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
When you say winter tyres do you have a 2nd set of rims or do you actually change tyres?

In my case I have another set of rims which I bought specifically for the winter tires, so I can simply swap them out at home from now on instead of going to a shop to get tires mounted. Through my car club I was able to buy a set of used Camaro Z28 rims for only $60 each.

Can anyone here recommend an ulta high performance tire that is available in 15 inch sizes for an older BMW? Most all are 16 or bigger today. Tirerack has the Yokohama AVS ES 100 in H rated. Any opinions on that tire or others?

In my experience between Goodyear vs Michelin, Michelin wins hands down. GYs came stock on my truck and had to be replaced at about 42K, replaced with same. At 85K, time again to be replaced. This time I thought I'd try a different tire and did some research, Michelin seemed to be the best choice even though about $15 more per tire. I now have 130K on these Michelins and still have about another 10-15K left on them! I don't know if this will apply across the board but I know what tires will be installed next time on my truck.
Edit:Ride is much smoother with better control feel, a little more noisy because I chose an A/T instead of a M/S. It was my choice for a little bit more aggressive tread. I'll probably go with the M/Ss next time.

[ February 18, 2004, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Toy4x4 ]

outrun,

If low noise and ride comfort are important in the UHP category, I'd consider Dunlop SP9000, ContiSportContact2, and Falken ST-115. These are strictly summer tires, but seeing as you are in Texas, I'm pretty sure that's fine.
smile.gif

As far as the MPS A/S vs. GS-D3, it just depends what you prefer. If you have to have some light snow capability, then go with MPS A/S. Otherwise, go with GS-D3 - you'll get better dry weather performance. A/S tire is always a compromise. Besides, in my experience, most Michelin tires are overpriced and mediocre performers at best. Not to say that Goodyear is all that great.
grin.gif
That's why, since there are so many other tires out there, I wouldn't probably choose either. See my recommendations above.

I'll always take a Michelin over a goodyear. The quality difference is obvious if you put them side by side.

I've seen more than enough bad goodyears too. But still I do think they are good tires.

-T

quote:

When you say winter tyres do you have a 2nd set of rims or do you actually change tyres?

Yes, a separate set of tires & rims; cost me about $1000 for custom rims & tires, but to me it's worth it for the added safety.

quote:

In my experience between Goodyear vs Michelin, Michelin wins hands down.

Normally I'd agree that Michelin is superior, but these GS-D3s are Made-in-Europe (German, I think) tires and have been sold there for some time, not your usual N.Amer. Goodyear.

Confirmed Patman.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 are made in Germany.

Only problem now, TireRack and even my companies warehouses are all out of inventory.

This tire sold a bit fast at is import debut to N.America.

I guess demand speaks volume to the qualities of this radial.

*off topic update*

I need to buy A/S tires ASAP, my Blizzak WS50 nearly wiped me out on a Panic stop at 80mph today. These things are great in tons of snow...but when its dry and warm the braking control is horrid. Guess God saved me from becoming a vedgetable tonight.
worshippy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back