Thinking of 3 different oils for a 2013 Mazda 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Been a long time since I last posted. I was wondering if you could make a suggestion for my folks 2013 Mazda 6 (purchased mid-summer of 2012 and has the 2.5 liter 4-cyl). It is garaged and has only has a little over 18k total miles on it, so that averages to 6k miles/year.

I know the owner's manual recommends Castrol 0w20 (which we all know the brand recommendation could be just marketing only), but after reading the recent post about how to find Kendall 0w20 and the good UOA reports to go with it, I thought this could be a better choice.

So with all that in mind, would you recommend...
1. Castrol gold bottle, 0w20
2. Castrol black bottle, 0w20
3. Kendall 0w20
4. Something else

Also, would you also be able to make an oil filter recommendation? Thanks again as always.

I think you should go to AAP or Carquest and get the $20 Havoline synthetic special.

If you go to AAP, get the upgrade filter (a P1)

If CQ is closer, the standard CQ red is good enough for your use.

Kendall is great stuff. Lots of boron, moly, and titanium additives, more than other oils use of those combined together like that. Any name-brand 0w-20 would do fine though. Walmart is just too hard to beat on DIY prices in 5-quart jugs, and Castrol Edge gold jug is there, a very good extended oil with lots of reserve capacity.
Oil Filter: Fram Ultra it is, wire-backed all-synthetic media, double layer for depth filtering, silicon ADBV, best filter performance/capacity. If someone could find an oil filter that has all those features, I'd change recommendations, but they can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back