GPS Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 3.5 inch TOM-TOM has reached the end of its usefulness and looking for a 4-5 inch replacement for occasional use. Suggestions as to manufacture, model and source? Thank you. Ed Hayes

Take a look at a Garmin.

I use one, frequently. It works well and the display is easy to use.

There will always be someone to throw rocks at any selection but several people here at work still use their Garmin after using the unit that came in their cars.

Last edited:
If you're familiar with Tom-Tom then stay with them. Each brand is a little different.

I think one thing that Garmin has in its favor is that there are many more models available than TomTom.

I own a TomTom that I've had since 2007 and it still works fine but when it comes time to replace it then I'd likely pick a Garmin for it's IMO better functionalities. I will always go with a vent mount than something I put on the dash and that itself can sway which model or brand you choose independent of what's inherently "better".

I use my Samsung Note 4 with Maps app. Would never buy a stand alone GPS unit again.
Any recent smart phone with data is all you should need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
I use my Samsung Note 4 with Maps app. Would never buy a stand alone GPS unit again.
Any recent smart phone with data is all you should need.

I never had any stand alone GPS so I don't have opinion about it.

I had Samsung Galaxy Core Prime for about 3 months, Waze map app is very good at navigate in unknown area.

The deal is it costs $8/mo for 24 months with Verizon, but they have $25 discount from $40/mo with Verizon Edge plan.

I used to take my Garmin with me on travel, but haven't for the past two years. I've opted to use the (mostly) up-to-date Google maps app on my, HTC One M7, which has worked out well.

Even in the Subaru, which has built-in GPS, we usually keep the Google Maps app going, to keep track of traffic and other notifications.

I use Waze on my iPhone primarily, but keep a Garmin handy. I have been in places with poor or even no cell signal and the Garmin saves the day.
My wife still uses the Garmin Nuvi 260 (with lifetime maps) that I bought her in 2009. The data plan on her phone is only 200mb/month so using that for GPS would use up her data quick.

If you buy a Garmin, make sure you get one with the lifetime maps, otherwise in 2 years or so it will be outdated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back