Powerstroke 6.0 VS 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 6.0 has been out of production since Dec.'07, unless its an E-body and they were used through the '09 model year. So since we are looking at '16 models on the lot the 6.0's running yet are getting old. I traded my '07 in last fall with 211,000 trouble-free miles, I hated to see it go as they were so much more of a pleasure to drive than a 7.3. With the TorqShift transmission and more power offered a much smoother drive.

I had several 7.3's and still have an '89 IDI, while they were reliable they were also very course and noisy.

If I had the need for a used high mileage truck I wouldn't hesitate looking at a 6.0, I almost bought my '07 back from the dealer.

I have to agree about the 6.0 being quieter and smoother. My cousin used to have a number of Super Duties. My personal favorite was a '99 7.3 with the 6-speed manual, but it was a cantankerous truck to drive around. The '06 6.0 with a TorqShift was pretty quiet for a diesel, smooth, and never did have any major issues. Something caused a perpetual "water in fuel" warning, but my cousin said to ignore it, so I did. It's a shame they couldn't achieve more consistent reliability during production...when they are working correctly the 6.0 is a good engine.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
'03.5-'07 is not much newer. You are still talking about 10 year old HD pickups. I don't see how going a couple years newer would really help you in this situation. At that age trucks are either torn up or not anyway. I'd rather go a little older and get a 7.3 personally.

Ford updated the seats in 2001 and updated other bits and pieces of the interior around 2005, but otherwise the cabs on '99-'07 models are all about the same. A clean 2000 won't feel any older than an average 2006.

Actually, the 2005-2007 trucks are quite a bit different than the 1999-2004 models. The update in 2005 was a lot more than just "interior bits". The 2005+ models have a stronger frame, larger brakes, different suspension, better transmissions, and other things that make them a more capable truck than the earlier models. The gas engines were alao updated to the more powerful 3V versions for 2005.

I was just talking about the cabs. Good points though. The OP mentioned not wanting "too old" of a truck though, and it's not like an '02 model Super Duty is a 1950s Power Wagon or something. It's not a drastically older vehicle than a '07, especially when talking about HD pickups where age hardly matters compared to usage. I have seen 2-3 year old, very expensive HD trucks that were absolutely trashed.

I worked with a few guys who had a 6.0. They didn't run a tune, and they used conventional 15w40 changed on time. Unfortunately, that didn't save their turbos. Maybe if they used synthetic 5w40 and idled the engine for 2 minutes before shutdown, turbos would last. That in mind, with all the horror stories I have heard, I don't think that would save the 6.0 from mechanical failure.

Whenever I look at a car or truck that saves fuel, I ask "How many gallons of fuel could I buy for the price of a major engine repair?"

No love for the Cummins 12v? IMO the most reliable diesel ever is the 12v cummins P7100 pump. i would pass on the Ford 6.0 and 6.4.

Originally Posted By: dareo
No love for the Cummins 12v? IMO the most reliable diesel ever is the 12v cummins P7100 pump. i would pass on the Ford 6.0 and 6.4.
Yeah, why does it have to be a Ford?

Responding to original post primarily.

If you cant go Cummins 6bt Ppump 12v(either swapped in, or in a dodge) stick with the 7.3 - they tend to absolutely last forever. (the older IDI certainly do, i'm less familiar with the newer 7.3's) The 6.0 is poop and so is the 6.4 that replaced it. Even if the problems are fixable whats the point - youre spending thousands more for a newer vehicle then more on top of that to fix problems it never should have had in the first place and you risk a breakdown happening dog-knows-when. :p For used vehicles the ford diesels are no cheaper than a cummins though.

Just watch out for water jacket pitting in the 7.3's (this at least was an issue with the IDI's i'm not sure if it was later properly fixed) - apparently the coolant passages would cavitate and cause pitting if certain antifreeze additives weren't used. The 6.9's didnt have that problem because the walls were thicker and the heat wasn't as super-localized on the water jacket side. (this is what i'm told by a ford guy) 6.9's and 7.3's lasted an eternity without major fail points (like the gm 6.2/6.5 unfortunately) though lacked the power and driveability of newer diesels admittedly. Furthermore the older ones seem to get about the same mileage as the newer ones - sometimes less as the demand for power and injectors that flow 350hp makes them a little less efficient at flowing the lesser amounts normally used without your foot on the floor.

I should specify I am not a diesel expert and the above is in the category of reliable crosschecked hearsay but not personal experience.

Last edited:
Do you need a truck? Buy a diesel VW or something. Buying a diesel because it "lasts longer" is silly these days. Yeah, the engines might go 400k, but it will cost a lot of money to get there, probably more than it would to bring a gas truck to 400k miles. All of the contractors here are switching back to gas powered trucks for this very reason.

If I was to get a diesel I'd get a '99-'03 7.3 Powerstroke, and nothing else. Even the new 6.7 blows turbos due to ceramic bearings in the turbos. Newer is not better.

I had a Ford dealer turn down work on a 6.0... how bad is that? I have two 6.0PSD in my fleet and if it was not for Merc's Sprinters horrific electrical issues, they would be shipped out into the middle of the ocean. I think one 6.0 set my budget back $18K last year and has 4K in it this year. It only has 80K miles and about 9000 hours.

Ride our that F150... even at 180K I would rather have that than a 6.0 brand-spanking new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back