HID After Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Hid bulbs put into halogen projectors are very bad. Hid bulbs do not have the same lighting characteristics as halogen bulbs. The projectors are different and must be made to match. Your probably blinding everyone with scattered light.

This forum is very helpful.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?393807-H11-projector-bulbs-35w-HID-vs-LED

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?380558-What-s-wrong-with-projector-retrofits

Here is some relevant lighting threads. The first one of is relevant to bulb differences and the second thread is about the facts of swapping in hid projectors. Both have good information for anyone who is new to this stuff.

SHOZ, all relevant information is in these two threads.
I quite well aware. But none of that applies to my situation of using them as hi beams and in my fogs as they are wired.

Sure no problem with using them in the high beams but fog lights should be switched off 99% of the time unless there is actually a need to use them in low speed low visibility situations

How do you use HID in high beam? It takes few seconds for HID to reach its full brightness. What happens when you need to switch from high to low and from low to high?

For the fog, you really want light which as yellow as you can stand it. If you are using aftermarket HID, you are most likely using the 7000K aka blue light which is very bad in the fog.

Sure no problem with using them in the high beams but fog lights should be switched off 99% of the time unless there is actually a need to use them in low speed low visibility situations

I have the fog lamps wired so they only come on with the hi beams on the Gen Coupe. And the lenses are aimed higher than stock. 55w of 180* ditch to ditch light for about 100 ft. Great for spotting deer on rural roads.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How do you use HID in high beam? It takes few seconds for HID to reach its full brightness. What happens when you need to switch from high to low and from low to high?

For the fog, you really want light which as yellow as you can stand it. If you are using aftermarket HID, you are most likely using the 7000K aka blue light which is very bad in the fog.

Once the HIDs are warmed up they take only a second or two to reach brightness. I don;'t use them for flash to pass. The HIDs I use are 4300k. This is what my OEM lo beam HIDs are. On my Accent with regular incandescent headlights the 3000k HIDs would match the color better. I will get that bulb next time.

Neither car do I use the fog lights for fog. Though they still work better than no fog lights in fog. 35w HIDs in the Accent.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

I have the fog lamps wired so they only come on with the hi beams on the Gen Coupe.
I will let Memphis reply to this one!

I have the fog lamps wired so they only come on with the hi beams on the Gen Coupe.

Well since he's moved the aim they are no longer fog lights, but still more light on the foreground is usually counterintuitive to seeing further down the road

Well since he's moved the aim they are no longer fog lights, but still more light on the foreground is usually counterintuitive to seeing further down the road
You are nuts. It floods the front of the car from side to side and about 150' forward.

hi-lo-and-fog-2.jpg

Because the human eye tends to be able to focus on one portion of the entire field of vision at one time, having the foreground lit all the time tends to pull focus from the distant objects. If you were stationary, this wouldn't be a big deal, however moving a highways speeds means this is less desirable.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Because the human eye tends to be able to focus on one portion of the entire field of vision at one time, having the foreground lit all the time tends to pull focus from the distant objects. If you were stationary, this wouldn't be a big deal, however moving a highways speeds means this is less desirable.
I suppose if you have the deer in the headlight vision that's true. Out here in the country you have to be constantly sweeping your field of vision.

You are nuts. It floods the front of the car from side to side and about 150' forward.

Is this high beam with fog light ? Or low beam ?

Last edited:
Are you just joining this conversation? Those are his high beam HID + his fog HID aimed up.

Once again, will he believe some random guy on the internet or his own eyes?

I read the whole thing.

From the picture the light didn't go very far, about 200-300 feet. High beam with fog light on should light up more than 500-600 feet.

The foreground is too bright, it is hard to see down the road with this bright foreground.

This was said too many times before but you have to understand that he will not believe your explanation over his own eyes!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I read the whole thing.

From the picture the light didn't go very far, about 200-300 feet. High beam with fog light on should light up more than 500-600 feet.

The foreground is too bright, it is hard to see down the road with this bright foreground.

The light easily goes a 1/2 mile. It will light up road signs at least 2 miles down the road. Here's a picture of my Accent with the 35w fogs only. It's about 300' where the light cuts off on the road.

fogs-only.jpg

Here's a pic of just the high beams.

hi-beams-no-fogs.jpg

The first picture didn't show the light travel very far. The last 2 pictures did show the correct distance.

Ideally, if you can get some pictures of a flat surface with some marking on the road and on the sides then it will be easier to see how your lights work.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
I get seriously irritated with HIDs in halogen reflectors/projectors. It is an obnoxious blinding glare, and it enrages me, and the worst part is, the person behind the illegal unsafe lighting, believes their blinding unfocused flood lights actually help them see better

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back