Lube to ValveTrain: -35C, 0w-30 vs. 10w-30 cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
0w-30 takes 5 seconds to get to the cam lobes in -35C (-31F)
10w-30 takes 30 seconds, after a lot of slow cranking too.

If that doesn't sell more 0w-30 oils for anybody north of Texas in the winter, I don't know what will.

Valve cover was off during cranking:
Ck2rZkb.jpg

Youtube Esso video (jump to 4:50 point for valve cover off test):

Its Canadian, so at any minute we expect to see Red Green jump out and fix somethin' with duct tape. Eh?

It leaves us with how to extrapolate to -10C (+14F), and we know the viscosity is dramatically increased non-linearly down around the great-white-north's -35C seen in the test. I'd guess 2 seconds for the 0w-30 and 6 seconds for the 10w-30 at -10C. A guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
It leaves us with how to extrapolate to -10C (+14F), and we know the viscosity is dramatically increased non-linearly down around the great-white-north's -35C seen in the test. I'd guess 2 seconds for the 0w-30 and 6 seconds for the 10w-30 at -10C. A guess.

Basically, what the 0W does at -35C is what the 5W is likely to do at -30C, and the 10W will do at -25C...

at -10C, a 25W will be on par with the 0W at -35C.

There will be no effective difference between 0W, 5W, and 10W at -10C.

So I can't see how you can "extrapolate" 2 seconds for the 0W at -10, and 6 for the 10W at -10C.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Very interesting stuff...
Shannow do you have any graphs of pour point/pumping points, comparing 0w to anything thicker?

Have posted some in this thread (not specifically 0W)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3838978/Re:_VIIs_&_differences#Post3838978

And coincidentally, I published a thread
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3839695/Re:_The_Esso_cold_weather_oil_#Post3839695

Some 12 hours before the video appeared in this one, with a link to a paper that describes the methodology of the Esso test, and some of the results.

If you go down that document to page 179, there is a chart showing the time to oil components for various MRVs...pick an MRV viscosity ("W" rating and temperature), and that's the oiling time...so as I keep saying, pick an appropriate W for your ambient.

Note the "zero point" on the chart (the two superimposed dots) is basically what the mechanicals of the engine shift priming the galleries at "normal" oil temperatures. 100cst is 0.1Pas.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

If you go down that document to page 179, there is a chart showing the time to oil components for various MRVs...pick an MRV viscosity ("W" rating and temperature), and that's the oiling time...so as I keep saying, pick an appropriate W for your ambient.

But what if the appropriate W for my ambient is a much lower quality varnish and sludge inducing API SJ dino lubricant(very true in my area), and the 0W and 5W go on sale and is a much better group3 base stock?

I do remember seeing a chart you posted about the cold viscosities and how they came together on the graph much sooner than one would suspect. If my memory is right it was a 0w, 5w, and 10w. It was was very interesting to see this gragh demonstrate what you stated about to a tee.

At slightly below freezing (ca -5°C), with 15w-40 my old w123 diesel would need around 15-20 seconds for the oil pressure gauge to rise to maximum after a cold start. With 5w-40, that was 3-5 seconds...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alcyon
But what if the appropriate W for my ambient is a much lower quality varnish and sludge inducing API SJ dino lubricant(very true in my area), and the 0W and 5W go on sale and is a much better group3 base stock?

Well buy the oil that you want for different reasons than cold starting

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I do remember seeing a chart you posted about the cold viscosities and how they came together on the graph much sooner than one would suspect. If my memory is right it was a 0w, 5w, and 10w. It was was very interesting to see this gragh demonstrate what you stated about to a tee.

There's this one for M1 0W30 and 5W30

m1%20comparo.jpg

In that graph, were the lines reversed? It shows the 5w-30 being thinner cold.

Down below about 0 C, the calculator isn't accurate at all. There obviously will be some crossover point, with one being a 5w-XX and the other being a 0w-XX. There could theoretically be another crossover point when one gets to operational viscosity, too. Replace the M1 0w-30 with Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 as a mental exercise and you'll get the idea, since it is a 0w-XX and has an HTHS of higher than either of the other oils in the example.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

m1%20comparo.jpg

That graph should really end at 0C, as we know it isn't accurate below that.

-10 pulls this little black duck up in Oz anyway...not any "W" grade I know of that isn't usable here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back