Michelin Offers Mobile Installation Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there are plenty of tire dealers out there who need to clean up their act, properly train their installers, and finally figure out how to take care of the customer.

Most people won't utilize a service like this. They'll simply do it the way that they've always done it. Sears, Wal-Mart, Discount Tire, the dealer, their local mechanic... whatever.

However, the people who expect a little bit more... they'll be all over this.

Wow, so they have a tire balancer inside the van that comes to your house? That's kind of cool. I've never heard of that.

$169 is steep for convenience. Plenty of mobile tire installers in my area do the same thing for a heck of a lot less than that. I'll just stick to driving a few miles to my regular tire place which is $50 OTD.

Last edited:
If that price included road hazard protection (I don't think it does), and if the technician is an actual Michelin employee (instead of a low-bid subcontractor), I might consider it. But the price differential is hard to pay when Sam's Club will install your tires for 60 bucks and include road hazard.

If install costs typically are 15-20/tire then its only about 100 for the concierge part.

Given that time loss to get new tires is a hour or even more if you dont have lucky logistics and can't do other things while the car is getting worked on., I think many would take up the offer for thst time savings.

The thing is if they can get the word out. because if their target aufience is ones that want to save time, that audience isnt going to have time to search the internet to find this service

Last edited:
Don't balancing machines need to be recalibrated frequently? Bouncing around in the back of a van should change the recalibration frequency to what - hourly?

Originally Posted By: Danh
Don't balancing machines need to be recalibrated frequently? Bouncing around in the back of a van should change the recalibration frequency to what - hourly?

Virtually every tool needs a "calibration", A Master calibration is different than zeroing it out. So no they would not need to calibrate it hourly.

Originally Posted By: Danh

I have a snap-on balancer that would fit nicely in a van. I have to thread a crank on and manually spin the tire up, but the whole thing runs on a wall wart for power!

When its calibration drifts, zero is still zero, but the magnitude of weight changes slightly. So if it says add 1.5 oz, it could really be 1.25 oz. I always re-spin and get zero, so no problems there.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If that price included road hazard protection (I don't think it does), and if the technician is an actual Michelin employee (instead of a low-bid subcontractor), I might consider it. But the price differential is hard to pay when Sam's Club will install your tires for 60 bucks and include road hazard.

For member only.

I tried to get local Sam's Club to install tires I bought from DTD few years ago, they refused. I had it installed at local America's Tire for $80.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

For member only.

I tried to get local Sam's Club to install tires I bought from DTD few years ago, they refused. I had it installed at local America's Tire for $80.

That's why it's call a club. If you're not a paid member, you don't get the benefits. Pretty simple concept, like Costco, Amazon Prime, etc.

Last edited:
I like the free rotations, rebalancing, and flat repairs at my local shop.

Last edited:
I can see that it works out ok as a "mobile lube" kind of event at large corporate office. I do not think it will work in the long term for individual owners whenever they schedule, the operation would need to scale much bigger for that.

Consider when people want tire replaced: hit a curb, got a nail, etc which means they will need it NOW, waiting 1 week for the next visit in your neighborhood would be a deal killer.

And how is this better than a local tire store offering pick up and drop off service? They would have even better economy of scale.

Sam's wont, but Wal*Mart will install carry in tires. I and others have taken many a TireRack tire to Wal*Mart for installation.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

For member only.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Sam's wont, but Wal*Mart will install carry in tires. I and others have taken many a TireRack tire to Wal*Mart for installation.

I have had it before and I didn't very happy with Walmart services.

The installation/balance was okay, no complaint there.

The rotation few months after that was disappoint. I drove my car there and had to wait more than 2 hours, even when I was there before other cars the manager let other cars in first for installing tires or other services, since free rotation don't bring in any revenue they tried to make it as inconvenience as possible so I don't come back for another rotation.

They did it right, I didn't come back for anything with Tire&Lube.

As of now, there is no better service than AT/DT.

Interesting concept.

Obviously cost involved however depends on how much you value your free time to deal with things like this. Personally I hate buying/installing/dealing with tires. Even though I have free rotations at tire shop I'd rather pay my regular mechanic rotate tires as I don't like wasting my life in a shop.

My neighbors use the battery service from AAA which has merits too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back