AC Delco PF65 and PF46E cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This AC Delco PF65 came off my 2014 Chevrolet Volt for its first oil change with around 3k miles on the engine (about 6k total on the car at the time). This was the filter straight off the assembly line. Seems to look really good but you would expect that for only 3k miles. No anti drainback valve and no bypass valve. I replaced it with a Fram Ultra XG3387A.

The AC Delco PF46E came off my mom's 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe after about 6,800 miles. The Tahoe has 125k on the odometer. Didn't see any holes or tears but some wavy pleats around the seam. I put a Wix on subsequently and don't plan to use an AC Delco again.

Thanks for the cut and post! I have been curious to see the PF 65, it looks like a really robust filter. If I had a Volt or ELR, this would be my choice for sure.

Good call on going with a Wix to replace the e-core, I would of done the same. That e-core looks pathetic.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Where was the PF65 made?

I'm not sure. It doesn't say on the filter and since this was from the GM assembly line, I have no box. It is likely made by Mahle since the PF65 on amazon shows a picture with the GM and a Mahle logo but that filter is black or dark grey in color. Not sure where they make most of their filters.

Yeah, I've seen that GM Mahle, probably made in Austria, But of course, the factory-installed filter could be different. I know that Ford and the Japanese use different filters on the assembly line than the parts counter.

For example, the factory Ford filters are made by Fram, similar to the Ultra, whereas the Motorcraft from the dealer and parts stores is made by Purolator, very close to a P1.

Originally Posted By: czbrian
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Where was the PF65 made?

I'm not sure. It doesn't say on the filter and since this was from the GM assembly line, I have no box. It is likely made by Mahle since the PF65 on amazon shows a picture with the GM and a Mahle logo but that filter is black or dark grey in color. Not sure where they make most of their filters.

Interesting. I've never seen an ACDelco Champ made filter with a coil retainer spring. Based on that I don't believe it to be Champ/(fram) made filter either.

No bypass and no adbv too. Recently another GM ACDelco factory oil filter was posted and it too had no adbv, but the replacement ACDelco over the counter sale filter does.

Beyond that and without a coo difficult to definitely say who the manufacturer is. Looks like a well made filter though.

As for the ecore, seam pleat area looks a little unseemly, pun intended. But as long as the seam pleat and area didn't breach it got the job done. Pleat spacing elsewhere looks relatively tight and uniform.

One plus side, this GM the engine would have block bypass, so no combo valve is needed or spec'd for this ACDelco ecore. Even the new GM vehicle ACDelco filters with filter integral bypass, spec a dome poppet style bypass. GM says no combo valves.

Thanks for pics. I don't remember a Volt filter, factory or otherwise, being posted here before.

Does the Volt one have at least a gasket on the baseplate inside, or is it metal to metal? It almost looks like the filter was designed to have an adbv, with the long neck on the end cap, but they left it out for some reason. To me both filters not impressive.

I am irritated that GM has gone to all e-cores across their line. It's virtually impossible to find an AC Delco non-ecore anywhere anymore. I used one on my last OCI for our Silverado, but I refuse from here on out.

I ordered a PF46 classic from Amazon last month and they sent me an ecore. I complained and they refunded me but let me keep the filter so I will use it.

Originally Posted By: czbrian
No anti drainback valve and no bypass valve.

That's interesting right there. It looks like a well made filter; unlike that PF46E.

Is there a reason why you went with a Fram Ultra on the Volt and not on the Tahoe?

I won't run e-cores on any of my GM vehicles. The classic AC Delco oil filters are good for shorter intervals, but I won't take a chance with the e-core filters.

I run either the Fram Ultra oil filters or the Amsoil EAO oil filters. Nothing else.

I suspect that eventually there are going to be more and more ecores on the market and choices for non ecores will be slim. You can certainly run what you want-but ecores within most OLM change intervals will work just fine. I don't think GM is in the business of specing oil filters that will blow up their engines.

Last edited:
AC seems to be phasing out the classics and replacing them with ecores. I have no problem with ecores. I have run and cut them since they came out years ago as Super Tech. All have performed well so I don't worry about them. They seem to hold up just fine. I cut one last year that ran over 6k miles and it looked perfect.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Is there a reason why you went with a Fram Ultra on the Volt and not on the Tahoe?
At the time I bought the AC Delco and the Wix, I didn't know about the Fram Ultra. I have one sitting in the closet for next time though.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
AC seems to be phasing out the classics and replacing them with ecores. I have no problem with ecores. I have run and cut them since they came out years ago as Super Tech. All have performed well so I don't worry about them. They seem to hold up just fine. I cut one last year that ran over 6k miles and it looked perfect.

Yep - Ecores seem to have found their place here on BITOG with Chinese Tires,All Car Dealers, The Subaru brand and the like.

Ecores are an OK filter for the average OLM countdown.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

Ecores are an OK filter for the average OLM countdown.

Average filter for the average driver that gets their oil changed at the Quickie Lube 3k overdue and down 2 qts.

I like to think we demand better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back