Please suggest oil/filter for a 2001 Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would use whatever 5w30 dino on sale and a regular filter like Purolator classic, oem, auto parts store brand, etc and change every 5k miles

Is this a new to you car? Otherwise I would stick with what you have. If not, I would use the motorcraft oil and filter. Their oil is known for being pretty good and you can get them both fairly cheap at WM.

As mentioned by others, I would flush the cooling system

Originally Posted By: AshleyQuick
Also, why isn't a Motorcraft filter recommended?

I would totally recommend a Motorcraft filter for that application. My previous daily driver was a 2003 Mercury Sable, which is basically the same car as the Taurus, just with slightly different fascia and trim.

I sold the car with nearly 180,000 miles on it, and it still ran great, and I ran Motorcraft FL820s filters on it, nearly exclusively, from 75,000 miles onward. My OCIs ran from about 4,000 miles up to as much as 8,000, mostly highway driving.

Also, although Ford now specs 5w20 oil for both of the engines offered in that car, they originally specced 5w30 oil for it, so either will work IMHO. I ran 5w30 in my Sable most of the time, but then again I live in Phoenix.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with an FL820s and Valvoline MaxLife or Motorcraft Semi-synth 5w20 or 5w30 oil and not look back.

... then again, if you do plan on running long Oil Change Intervals (8,000+ miles), you can't go wrong with a Fram Ultra.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
What ever dino is on sale with a decent filter.
That is what I did with my 2000 and it was running strong at 275K.
Second owner is nearing 300K with same strategy and all is well.

Valvoline Maxlife or similar high mileage oil, Motorcraft filter. Run it for 5k or so. Hard to beat this being only 20 bucks and change.

Is 5 qts of the Mobil 1 synthetic enough to do the job?

My '02 DOHC Taurus takes 6 quarts w/filter

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
These engines will leak a little as they age. I have been using Maxlife 5W20 in my 2002 Taurus. A Ford should always use a Motorcraft filter. I buy both at Walmart.
On a different note flush your coolant. Back flush the heater core.

Why should Fords always use a Motorcraft filter?

Is 5 qts of the Mobil 1 synthetic enough to do the job?

The manual should specify the oil capacity. The SOHC engine takes 4.5 quarts.

Just noticed OHV vs DOHC, the capacity should be right at 5 then with filter for OHV. DOHC specs 5.5 qt for oil and it is dead on with 6 quart fill using FL820

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Also, why isn't a Motorcraft filter recommended?

Also, although Ford now specs 5w20 oil for both of the engines offered in that car, they originally specced 5w30 oil for it, so either will work IMHO. I ran 5w30 in my Sable most of the time, but then again I live in Phoenix.

When the engine was originally designed, it was speced for 5w30, but they changed the spec afterwards, some say for CAFE reasons to 5w20. Mine has an oil cap which says 5w20. 5w20 is also fine to run in the car, I don't think it will affect longevity as it's usually not the engine that goes.

Originally Posted By: MrGiggles
Valvoline Maxlife or similar high mileage oil, Motorcraft filter. Run it for 5k or so. Hard to beat this being only 20 bucks and change.

Perfect setup for a Taurus.

Why are people recommending synthetic oil in an unknown maintenance history car? I owned that exact same car (well maintained) and it leaked from the rear main seal, leaked from the valve cover gaskets, leaked from the oil pan gasket, etc. This is not a fantastic candidate for synthetic oil unless you are taking the car to Deadhorse Alaska this winter.

That car should get a Motorcraft filter and the cheapest on sale conventional oil that you can find (aka SuperTech from Wal-Mart).

If the gaskets are seeping a bit of oil, than use a high mileage oil such as Maxlife or SuperTech high mileage. It will slow the leaks down and perhaps fix them if they are small.

As to 5W20 vs 5W30, that is an ancient engine design. They seem to run better on 5W30 down here. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
What ever dino is on sale with a decent filter.
That is what I did with my 2000 and it was running strong at 275K.
Second owner is nearing 300K with same strategy and all is well.

Our 2000 OHV only had 200k when we sold it last year, but same experience. Used whatever oil/filter combo was on sale with 4-6k OCI and never had any problems.

This vehicle has nearly 140,000 miles. I want good oil.

As someone else who has actually owned a Vulcan, I'll throw my two cents in.
If an engine could laugh at a thread, yours would.
The Vulcan is a development of the ancient Ford Essex V-6. It makes only about fifty horses per liter, no discernable torque and isn't overly happy at redline.
Giving this engine a high end synthetic oil and filter would be equivalent to giving the local homeless guy a plate of caviar on points of toast and a bottle of Veuve Clicquot for his lunch.
We put 175K on our 3.0 '97 Aerostar over thirteen years and the engine couldn't have cared less what oil it got, from M1 0W-30 (not the current AFE) to VWB 5W-20, Castrol Tection 15W40 and even Rotella 5W-40, on which it saw the best tank fuel economy ever on a trip to South Florida, a little over 25 mpg, loaded with four adults and ten days worth of impedimenta.
Use any API SJ/SL/SM/SN oil of whatever grade strikes your fancy along with any decent oil filter and you're doing everything that you can to maintain the Vulcan.
I'd be more worried about the tranny myself.
The poster advising a backflush of the heater core was also right on, since these do tend to clog and limit heat output.
Not sure why, since there is no heater control valve and coolant flows through the heater core all of the time.

I too own a vulcan, with 68k miles. The reason why I use a full synthetic is because for only $30 including a filter, It's hard to beat for the price and piece of mind. In you car, use 5w20. My car is a 1999, specced for 5w30. The vulcan engine is rock solid, burns close to ZERO oil, and is the strongest part of the car. It's almost impossible to kill it unless it's neglected. The only leaky tauruses are the ones that have the Duratec motor. The weak link in the taurus line is the AX4S and AX4N transmissions, which are notorious for failing with the torque converter splines stripping. I know almost everything about these cars.

Since you know almost everything about these cars, I'm sure that you're aware that this engine got a roller valvetrain post '91 or so and that every such Vulcan can be run on a 5W-20, according to Ford.
Anyway, a 68K engine is but a youth. Check back in another 100K or so.
Using an oil that exceeds the needs of an engine can neither reduce wear nor extend engine life.
This is a hard lesson to learn, but it is one that we all grasp after enough reading here.

I understand that there was never a flat tappet cam in a vulcan. My manual states 5w30, so thats what I run.

Mobil 1 High Mileage full synthetic or Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend

Either oil coupled with a FRAM Ultra or Tough Guard

Motorcraft filters are also a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back