Vintage car "non-hypoid" SAE 80 GL-4 gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what the manual specs for a late 80's European car trans.
And synthetics are not allowed by the manual, not that I'd use them in an older vehicle.
Any ideas on a product name?

Last edited:
It might be helpful if you search for information about what other owners are using successfully in the same vehicle.

Off-hand and without knowing the specific vehicle, I'd think something like Brad Penn's "Classic" 80W-90 GL-4 gear oil should work. Liqui Moly makes an SAE 80W GL-4 but it does not appear to be readily available here in the States.

What vehicle is it? I think you're even okay with a GL-4 as long as it doesn't have "EP" on it. Many in the Unimog community use the Liquimoly 4427.

Redline makes a GL-4 product line in various weights- MTL, MT-85, and MT-90. I would have ZERO qualms using any of those fluids in a 60s vintage transmission (let alone 80s) . Even though they are synthetic they're pretty much made for the purpose.

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=7

If you want non-synthetic, your best (pretty much only) option is an ordinary engine oil. Use the viscosity table on the main BITOG page to determine what weight to use- SAE 40 engine oil is roughly equivalent to SAE 90 gear oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Originally Posted By: Beem
And synthetics are not allowed by the manual, not that I'd use them in an older vehicle.

It would help is you gave us the year/make/model of the car.

There are some European cars like BMW that specify a mineral based GL-4.

Originally Posted By: stchman

It would help is you gave us the year/make/model of the car.

There are some European cars like BMW that specify a mineral based GL-4.

I didn't want to muddy the water with the specific car to have anyone say I've used xxx and nothing bad happened, or the old standby "we've always done it that way".

Thanks for the input though.

What the manual specs is non-hypoid mineral GL-4 gear oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Redline makes a GL-4 product line in various weights- MTL, MT-85, and MT-90. I would have ZERO qualms using any of those fluids in a 60s vintage transmission (let alone 80s) . Even though they are synthetic they're pretty much made for the purpose.

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=7

If you want non-synthetic, your best (pretty much only) option is an ordinary engine oil. Use the viscosity table on the main BITOG page to determine what weight to use- SAE 40 engine oil is roughly equivalent to SAE 90 gear oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Despite some opinions, every vintage vehicle I've put synthetic oils in develop leaks very soon after use. Some people claim to get away with it, I never have. Can't fool me four times.

Maybe motor oil is an option as it is also noted as an option in the manual but that opens a whole new can of worms. Modern oils do not have zinc and phosphorus that the classic oils did. So a motor oil would probably need to be an old spec oil to be safe.

Thanks for the chart link. Looks like 30 wt is in the ballpark. I'm thinking before an SM rating might hit the mark.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Padawan
Off-hand and without knowing the specific vehicle, I'd think something like Brad Penn's "Classic" 80W-90 GL-4 gear oil should work.

There you go. That holds possibilities.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Modern oils do not have zinc and phosphorus that the classic oils did.

Most classic oils didn't have the ZDDP that we fondly "remember" either.

I'm guessing that classic Castrol GTX had high zinc/phosphorus levels because it was specifically named by Triumph in their vintage motorcycle owners manuals. The engines are the equivalent of flat tappet cam valve trains.

Last edited:
Or, could it have been because Castrol paid for an endorsement, or they had a relationship at the time? Blackstone ran a bunch of VOAs on some old oils, and the results were eye-opening.

You can get GL-4 rated gear oil at Napa. I have used Sta-lube in my old manual tranny, no need for anything fancy.

Thanks for all the input guys.
I've got a direction now.

Another option to consider is industrial EP gear oils. Most are same as GL-4. Read the product description and you will probably see applications similar to non-hypoid gear oil. Industrial gear oils do not come in SAE viscosity grades (usually) so look for an ISO 68 which is the same as an SAE 80. A five gallon pail will cost about the same as a one gallon consumer GL-5 product.

I'm comfortable with this: Brad Penn's "Classic" 80W-90 GL-4 gear oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back