allowing vehicle to warm up

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL .....just a questions to see what others would have to say, if they allow their engines to heat up to operating temperature :p

yes, other people on the board are going to bash me but, letting your engine coming up to operating temperature is crucial before you step on it. what vehicle are you talking about to warm up? Ive had many Nissan's including a Sentra Spec V with a Maxima VQ35 swap and i always let the car warm up. Also i had manual transmission that wouldnt go into 2nd gear if it was cold because i had a mix of redline and M1 tranny fluid in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nissan101
LOL .....just a questions to see what others would have to say, if they allow their engines to heat up to operating temperature :p

You mean by just idling them? Over here, during winter the engine will never reach operating temp if you just idle it. Idling is bad for the car in a lot of ways, anyway. Try doing a search - this subject must have been discussed a million times on here, and there are hard core fans on both sides of it.

I never let an engine sit and just idle it to warm it up, at least not for more than 30 seconds to a couple of minutes at most. Go ahead and drive, just drive GENTLY and keep the rpm down until the engine oil is up to about 150F. Itll warm up much faster and experience a lot less fuel dilution and acid formation that way.

Originally Posted By: Grambo
yes, other people on the board are going to bash me but, letting your engine coming up to operating temperature is crucial before you step on it. what vehicle are you talking about to warm up? Ive had many Nissan's including a Sentra Spec V with a Maxima VQ35 swap and i always let the car warm up. Also i had manual transmission that wouldnt go into 2nd gear if it was cold because i had a mix of redline and M1 tranny fluid in.

Driving gently is all that is needed, to avoid any issues during warmup. Letting an engine come up to temp while idling wastes fuel, and causes more wear, not less.

And Redling MTL or MT 90 (Whichever is the appropriate grade for your transmission) would end that cold shifting problem.

For me it's more about oil pressure than temp. As others have said, the best way to warm up the engine is just to drive it gently. However, I do like to give it about 10-15 seconds after I start the car for the oil pressure to build and get circulating.

Yeah, no real need to warm up an engine. Those 8-15 seconds sounds about right, that's about the time it takes to put on a seatbelt, turn on the radio, hit the windshield washer fluid if the windshield is dirty, check for traffic and then just shift it out of park and go.

The Subaru, no. The Ducati, yes. I let it idle a few minutes (1200rpm) to let the 15W50 move around a bit before heading off.

Not so much to warm up the engine but to wait until the oil is fully circulating. This depends on oil viscosity and ambient temperature but I ran 10w30 then ran 20w50 the next change. The 20w50 I could hear, took longer to reach the top end on colder mornings because the lifters tapped for longer. I usually wait 15-30 seconds and then drive steady until the engine is hot

I let the tach tell me when its ready to drive. I wait until it drops down to about 1000 rpm and take off. That's not very long in the summer and can be about 1-2 minutes max in the winter.

Your Nissans' manuals probably say to let it idle for 30 seconds before pulling away. That seems to be the was Nissan/Infiniti words it. Of course, that doesn't mean to floor it 30 seconds after starting in -40, either.

In the winter, we might have -27C in my area, so once the oil pressure light goes out - if it even comes on - the car is put in gear and away we go - albeit slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back