Attack! OUCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUCH!! I've expected to run into dogs, raccoons, cats, even mountain lions on my morning runs, but I'd never thought I'd be hit by an owl on my morning run! Crazy! I didn't hear a thing, first it felt like I got smacked in the back of the head, then a strong pulling sensation, like someone was pulling on my hair. It was so strong I thought it was a person doing it to me. I turned around to see a large bird flying back to a tree. It was 5:30am and pitch black, so I'm guessing it had to be an owl. I'm glad I was soaked in sweat and slippery, as all I got was some puncture holes on my head. I'm also glad it was not my shoulder or arm where he could have got a strong grip into the soft muscle. Wow, what a rush!!!

My wife was not amused when I popped in the bathroom with my head and back covered in blood!

We've had a Eurasian eagle-owl locally that attacked anyone coming close to it's tree. And yes, they don't make noise at all while flying.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Mountain lions! - In Iowa?

Yes. We have black bears and mountain lions back in our state. I have personally seen a mountain lion in northern Iowa, but not seen any of the reported bears yet.

Came very close to having that happen once- only the owl was headed straight for my FACE and not the back of my head. I ducked and the owl pulled up at the last second- it was just barely light enough for me to see him.

Wow. I love owls. Have had a few cats taken by them but never had one try to take me before!

robert

For about 12 years I lived right next to a park that had the city zoo in it. Every once in a while a bird, or birds, would escape through the overhead netting and make their way into the neighborhood.

I came home from a gig one night about 4am and as I was walking to my back door. I thought I heard something behind me and turned around to see something the size of a dog with what looked like a 10ft wingspan swooping down at me. I ducked and it missed. It was a HUGE owl. He landed on the corner of the house and sat there looking at me. I grabbed a piece of chicken from the fridge and threw it up to it. It looked at me, the chicken, then grabbed it and flew off.

One other time my neighbor came over right after I got off work and told me to come outside. I walk out and there's a Monster Bald Eagle standing on top of his car just looking at us. We called the zoo and let them know. Then we went back out with some chicken and kept it there by feeding it until the people from the zoo showed up. A guy got out of the truck and it flew right over to him. After all was said and done I was kicking myself for not get some video of it. It was a really cool experience.

There was a note in an older National Geo. with an article about great grey owls about why the photographer wore a hard hat - the owls he was taking photos of would sometimes buzz him with their feet balled up for the strike (not to grab). He had dents in his old loggers helmet.

The owl was a sign of good fortune and wisdom to the ancient Greeks. On the other hand, the old Romans regarded the owl to be a harbinger of disaster. The owl is a powerful symbol in freemasonry, probably because it is also a common symbol for wisdom. Owl poop is extremely slippery.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Do you have Donald Trump hair?

Now he does.

Have watched them fly through the woods at dusk - silent. VERY impressive.

Never heard of anybody being intentionally attacked by one. That must have been pretty scary once you figured out what had just taken place. Glad your injuries are no worse!

John.

I've been dive bombed by a few smaller birds (red winged blackbirds in particular), but never something as large as an owl. That had to smart just a bit.

A friend's mother had a small parrot on her shoulder in her back yard one evening, and an owl swooped down and snagged it right off her shoulder.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
A friend's mother had a small parrot on her shoulder in her back yard one evening, and an owl swooped down and snagged it right off her shoulder.

That's terrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back