turn off or leave running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a hot engine turned off while air is passing by it will help pull off the heat assisting in cooling off the engine, so yes I agree your hybrid is not part of my point. Im talking about a hot engine turned off in a stand-still parking lot that is cooking the oil.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Originally Posted By: Rex
I always keep the engine running. If its filling up gas, or taking a 1,300 mile trip the engine never shuts off. I dont like the idea of the oil "cooking" or sitting on the hot cylinder walls during shut-off. This practice has also eliminated all my oil burn and no longer need to "top off" my oil between changes. Just my 2 cents..

Well, that does not compute. Like I mentioned in a earlier post, hybrid engines shut on and off many times per mile, with no problem. I figure the Camry hybrid engine I had with 183kmi on it had million+ start/stops on it, and ran perfect, until it got wrecked by someone else. It really was a great car. Still ran/drove like new, and the original brakes where not even half worn.

You have to be crazy to leave the car running while in a gas station or any similar situation. That's like saying 'come and get me'.

I always keep the engine running. If its filling up gas, or taking a 1,300 mile trip the engine never shuts off. I dont like the idea of the oil "cooking" or sitting on the hot cylinder walls during shut-off. This practice has also eliminated all my oil burn and no longer need to "top off" my oil between changes. Just my 2 cents..

Another case of major overthinking, millions of engines are started & shut off dozens of times daily without issue..

I only leave mine running if it's keeping me cool or warm... Well there was the case when I was jumpering the neighbor's '40 Pontiac while I was troubleshooting the ign system... Battery was marginal, needed to keep it topped off...

It's illegal here to buy fuel with a running engine... fire hazard I suppose.

S/S systems are easy to turn off, disconnect the battery condition sensor...

Originally Posted By: ccap41
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
As a contrary viewpoint, UPS trucks stop their engines at every single house stop, which can be less than a block between start/stops.

I read long ago that it DOES take more gas to start an engine than to keep it running, but the break-even point is less than 30 seconds of idling.

So personally, my rule of thumb is that if Im stopping for less than 15-20 seconds, I leave it running. Ditto if it is not up to temperature yet, its really cold (though I dont purposely turn on my car to let it idle and warm up), its really hot, etc. Otherwise I turn it off. It reduces pollution, fuel consumption, etc.

Because the oil system is primed, everything is well coated (the oil isnt going to all fall out/off in a few minutes, even if the oil is full hot), the subsequent start-up wear from an additional start is minimal, IMO.

I believe UPS/FedEx/etc are required to shut of their engines at every stop they are getting out at.

They are...though I have seen FedEx drivers leave trucks running at stops in the winter. (Presumably, they simply want the heat running.)

Originally Posted By: Snoman002
Originally Posted By: Lapham3
If a guy thinks about it a bit, when your engine is shut off, the starter pinion to ring gear/flex stop locations will be repeatable around the ring circumference. How many locations will depend on how many cylinders. If the stop/start locations were completely random, it wouldn't matter as much, but as is, the wear will be more than one might think. If we hear later of transmissions having to be pulled to deal with this it wouldn't surprise. Maybe the designers figure this in-maybe not-we'll see.

I highly doubt that you would wear the teeth off the flywheel or starter. It would be interesting to stop by the UPS garage one time and ask.

My company's trailer mechanic was a former UPS mechanic. The trucks went through about a starter a year. (Note: for obvious reasons, they replaced them at the first sign of a problem.)

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
You have to be crazy to leave the car running while in a gas station or any similar situation. That's like saying 'come and get me'.

I leave my truck running while getting my coffee in the winter. The engine is still stone cold (<1 mile from home), I want the heat ASAP, and...well, I doubt many people will steal a ratty old Dakota.

If I leave the engine running while making a withrdrawal from a bank's drive-thru ATM, will I arouse suspicion?

I'd shut the car off anytime you exit the vehicle. If someone steals it (which they will if you live in NY) you'll not only be without a car, but you'll also be held liable and your insurance won't cover the cost of the replacement. This applies to leaving the keys in the ignition, not using a factory or aftermarket remote start which kill the ignition if the car is shifted out of P.

If you're sitting in it with the a/c on and it's 90 degrees outside and your passenger has to run in and get something, then leave it on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BRZED
If I leave the engine running while making a withrdrawal from a bank's drive-thru ATM, will I arouse suspicion?
Who cares!...

Well I agree there isn't an issue by turning off and on the engine as my engine will experience this thousands of time during its life without issue (ok maybe a starter or two). My example was how I like my oil in the vehicle. I keep the engine running, period. I have two sets of keys when leaving the vehicle running. Sitting at a drive-thru, going into a gas station, or when we travel the thousand mile trips (engine has gone 18hrs straight many times), I wont shut the engine off. I just find it reduces oil consumption and dislike the oil cooking inside a hot engine that’s not running. Again, just my 2 cents and might not work in your situation.

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Another case of major overthinking, millions of engines are started & shut off dozens of times daily without issue..

I only leave mine running if it's keeping me cool or warm... Well there was the case when I was jumpering the neighbor's '40 Pontiac while I was troubleshooting the ign system... Battery was marginal, needed to keep it topped off...

Last edited:
Well I agree there isn't an issue by turning off and on the engine as my engine will experience this thousands of time during its life without issue (ok maybe a starter or two). My example was how I like my oil in the vehicle. I keep the engine running, period. I have two sets of keys when leaving the vehicle running. Sitting at a drive-thru, going into a gas station, or when we travel the thousand mile trips (engine has gone 18hrs straight many times), I wont shut the engine off. I just find it reduces oil consumption and dislike the oil cooking inside a hot engine that’s not running. Again, just my 2 cents and might not work in your situation.

Originally Posted By: TFB1

You have to turn it off eventually. It's also pretty easy to break a window and drive off with your car, even though you "locked it" with your second set of keys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I'd shut the car off anytime you exit the vehicle. If someone steals it

Why would they steal the car? You are still in it. And in case you are talking about my car, no, you won't be able to shut it off, because you are not in it.
grin2.gif

Why would they steal the car? You are still in it. And in case you are talking about my car, no, you won't be able to shut it off, because you are not in it.
grin2.gif

I was referring to the OP who was asking about leaving the car running while going into a store.

grin2.gif

I was referring to the OP who was asking about leaving the car running while going into a store.

And you said you'd shut his car off, not your own. I just though this was odd. You should have said "I shut off my car anytime I exit my vehicle " or "You should shut off your car anytime you exit your vehicle." Nothing else to see here, Move along.

In the winter I leave my truck running for the heat.

I don't care about fuel or wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
In the winter I leave my truck running for the heat.

I don't care about fuel or wear.

With gas prices how they are and are projected to be, you may not have a problem leaving it on..

If you have a gun and someone sees it, YES.

I'd be more worried about the car being jacked than I would be about the wear or gas used. Get a remote start if you want to leave it running or warm it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back