LubeGard Low Vis ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
We had some summer students run analyses for various student selected OTC fluids purchased from Amazon:

Here is the Analysis for LubeGard formulated Low Viscosity ATF:

Chemistry PPM (Numbers rounded up or down)

Boron 75
Silicon 3
Calcium 76
Magnesium 5
Phosphorus 430
Zinc 15

Kinematic Viscosity@100C 5.96 cSt

Flashpoint 407F

Of course there were signatures of other organic molecules such as VII's, metal inhibitors, friction modifiers, and oxidation inhibitors.

Base oils consist of GroupIII (isomerized mineral oil), GroupIV PAO, and Group V esters. However, I am not going to divulge percentages.

As an FYI, the phosphorus content of commercially available ATF's may range from 320 ppm to 525 ppm.

LubeGard Low Vis ATF

Last edited:
Why not provide the HC makeup? Can you at least show a GC FID profile with column info ad heating data?

Here is our process for product analyses:

The Product is chosen by each student group as the last instrumentation/analysis test of the semester,

The purchasing department acquires the product,

The product is coded and placed in new 1L borosilicate glassware, so each student group does not know what product they will be testing.

Each student group analyses the "coded" fluid given to that group and reports out the analysis, with a summary "educated" guess of what the fluid might be.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why not provide the HC makeup? Can you at least show a GC FID profile with column info ad heating data?

We could but cannot.

The Uni's legal dept has stated that only certain, limited data may be disclosed publicly.

I am only disclosing this limited data due to interest of BITOG members in certain products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
We had some summer students run analyses for various student selected OTC fluids purchased from Amazon:

Here is the Analysis for LubeGard formulated Low Viscosity ATF:

Of course there were signatures of other organic molecules such as VII's, metal inhibitors, friction modifiers, and oxidation inhibitors.

'Kule,

What exactly are "metal inhibitors?"

Looks like a fine product, would buy it if could get it cheaper than Maxlife.

Molakule, would you say this is superior to DexronVI/Maxlife or possibly just on par with one or the other?

Metal inhibitors or metal deactivators are described here:

Metal Deactivators/Metal Inibitors

Thanks!

Even though the thread is almost twelve years old, I found it very informative. And it led to a couple of more questions.

The thread spoke of metal inhibitors in motor oil. I hate to admit this but this is the first I've heard of that type of inhibitor in motor oil.
Based on it's role, it would seem more important in an automatic transmission or am I over-assuming there are a wider variety of metals in trannies versus most engines?

Also, "Userfriendly" posted in that thread:

"......the coating (effect of a surface protection additive) could be removed by the addition of a supliment or lubricant with a non-compatable additive.
Also coatings could be removed when the original lubricant is changed to a different one."

That seems to make sense, depending upon your "supliment."

How true is that?

The additive names and functionality never change; the chemistry may change somewhat.

Here is a list of additives used in lubricants:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ive#Post3616725

Quote:
Metal Inhibitors:

This additive forms surface films so that metal surfaces do not catalyze oil oxidation.

I.E, this chemical keeps metals in the engine [or transmission] [or differential] from reacting with oxygen in the oil to inhibit oxidation of the oil. Copper, iron, and other metals can react with oxygen to "speed-up" chemical reactions that lead to oil oxidation, which we know degrades the oil and leads eventually to sludge.

This additive may also be part of a multi-functional anti-oxidant/AW package as well.

The anti-rust additive is also considered part of the metals inhibitor group.

Originally Posted By: dkryan said
Based on it's role, it would seem more important in an automatic transmission or am I over-assuming there are a wider variety of metals in trannies versus most engines?

It is important in any machine with metals, regardless of metal type, especially when a lubricant is subject to high temperatures and high loads/pressures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Molakule, would you say this is superior to DexronVI/Maxlife or possibly just on par with one or the other?

Not having run any side-by-side transmission cell tests, I could not say.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Not having run any side-by-side transmission cell tests, I could not say.

No guesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back