Open End Crowfoot Torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much torque can I apply using an open end 14 mm crowfoot on a hardened nut before the nut would round off?
I need to torque an exhaust manifold nut to 36 ft lbs which is only accessible with a crowfoot unless I remove an alternator and AC compressor. I looked for a box end crowfoot and can not find one. Thanks.

If the nut is in good condition, 36 ft*lbs may be possible. But I would creep up on it in steps, starting maybe at 25, then going to 30, and 33. See if you can get a good secure connection with the nut before going for the gusto.

And another thing about working with crowfoot wrenches: if the open end of the crowfoot is aligned with the ratchet handle, the actual torque applied will be higher than the torque setting. If the open end of the crowfoot is perpendicular to the ratchet handle, the torque applied will be equal to the torque setting.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
If the nut is in good condition, 36 ft*lbs may be possible. But I would creep up on it in steps, starting maybe at 25, then going to 30, and 33. See if you can get a good secure connection with the nut before going for the gusto.

And another thing about working with crowfoot wrenches: if the open end of the crowfoot is aligned with the ratchet handle, the actual torque applied will be higher than the torque setting. If the open end of the crowfoot is perpendicular to the ratchet handle, the torque applied will be equal to the torque setting.

Thanks, yes there are some nifty crowfoot torque calculators on the web. Wish I could find a metric box end crowfoot.

Get a ghetto cheap 14mm wrench and bend both ends. Put the box over your bolt and the open end will be slightly bigger than a 1/2" square drive and you can use the TQ wrench on that.

How about a 14mm flarenut crowfoot? Should give plenty of torque.

wright-tool-1-2-dr-flare-nut-crowfoot-wrenches-1-1-4-1-2dr-flare-nut-crowfoot-wrench-12-p_5316536.jpg

971014.jpg

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

wright-tool-1-2-dr-flare-nut-crowfoot-wrenches-1-1-4-1-2dr-flare-nut-crowfoot-wrench-12-p_5316536.jpg

971014.jpg

Tha bottom one looks like the Toyota brake line wrench.

971014.jpg

Just checked these out at Sears and they would be perfect except the set cost $80.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Get a ghetto cheap 14mm wrench and bend both ends. Put the box over your bolt and the open end will be slightly bigger than a 1/2" square drive and you can use the TQ wrench on that.

Ha, ha, I was thinking along the same lines. I have fashioned special tools like this many times over the years. I picked up a 14mm 6 point 3/8" socket and wobble adaptor which worked perfectly. Turns put I did not need to do anything because I had the torque almost perfect using a box wrench and feel.

Originally Posted By: artbuc

971014.jpg

Just checked these out at Sears and they would be perfect except the set cost $80.

I have that Craftsman set, in both SAE and metric. Well worth the $80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back