cleaning stainless bowls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several stainless bowls that I use for dog water, keep them full so if I am gone (or die) dog may be hungry but not thirsty until someone shows up or I get back. Anyway, there is a scum on bows that is hard, doesn't come off. What should I use to clean off that won't leave a dangerous residue for dog? CLR? It must be dog safe. Large plastic buckets have plastic residues that can be dangerous. Thoughts?

I run them thru the dishwasher once a week or so and that seems to work fine. Also have been able to scrub off with soap and hot water if in a hurry.

Lime-Away will do the trick if you let it sit for a few minutes. Just make sure it's all rinsed away before refilling with water.

Vinegar or citric acid for removing hard water deposits. CLR or similar is okay as long as you rinse the bowl well afterwards. An abrasive pad or steel wool for other buildup.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
We use beekeepers friend on our stainless cookware.

I only know Barkeeper's Friend.
laugh.gif

I use a more aggressive green side of a dish sponge, cascade granuale dishwashing detergent, and regular liquid dish detergent. The abrasive ness of the green side and the granuales always cut through the build up. I do the same on my glass shower doors and it works better than Mr clean, CLR, etc.

Several years ago I discovered stainless-steel scrubbies at a local commercial restaurant supply store that also sells retail. Far better than anything else in the "consumer" market. They last for years, don't rust, and don't shed.

Also great for stuffing into weep holes around the house to keep bugs out.

I also discovered copper scrubbies as well...

These have no detergents, no chemicals at all, which you might prefer. If these aren't up to the job, you can always chuck a 6" brass wheel into a drill press...

I would go for vinegar. the key is you may need to let it soak for awhile, like overnight even.

Not that costly to replace.
We seem to have a pile of them floating around here, and some even reside outside. Our's don't seem to accumulate deposits though.

There are different grades of stainless and not all of it resists rust and deterioration. If a magnet sticks to it, it's not the good stuff. With that in mind. test your grill if you have one and you may be surprised.

I had a coffee cup which was dingy and stained over the years. One day, I poured a can of Mountain Dew in there. After drinking it, the coffee cup was clean a a whistle.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
I had a coffee cup which was dingy and stained over the years. One day, I poured a can of Mountain Dew in there. After drinking it, the coffee cup was clean a a whistle.

The citric acid in Mountain Dew did it.

Lime away besides being poison will discolor stainless at high strength.

Vinegar is cheap and edible.

Get a water softener system ...it is an investment.

I have awesome tap water (basically Poland Spring on tap
laugh.gif
) and my dog bowls get a skin of drool-slime.

If I have a Bon Ami soap pad wet for my human dishes, I give his bowl a quick swipe. The pad's going to rust and rot either way. Then the dish goes through the dishwasher.

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
I have several stainless bowls that I use for dog water, keep them full so if I am gone (or die) dog may be hungry but not thirsty until someone shows up or I get back. Anyway, there is a scum on bows that is hard, doesn't come off. What should I use to clean off that won't leave a dangerous residue for dog? CLR? It must be dog safe. Large plastic buckets have plastic residues that can be dangerous. Thoughts?

I save old coffee grounds, they cut food and all kinds of stuff that gets dried on your plates, will clean grease off your hands to, look up uses for coffee grounds, amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back