Please suggest oil/filter for a 2001 Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
More details will be needed (and these are just off the top):

--Intended OCI?
--Conventional, blend or synthetic desired?
--Type of use? All city, all highway, mixed?
--Any current issues?

3.0L OHV

I'm thinking synthetic but I want the best recommended for ALL CITY driving.

The only current issue is a sometimes wacky fuel gauge. I'm keeping an eye on it.

Most value, with best oil and oil filter:
Walmart or walmart.com, buy Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Castrol Edge in the gold jug, 5w-30, either in 5-quart sized jugs.
Then, put on an extended life oil filter, the Fram Ultra in your size, an "XG2" no matter which engine you have. Then change your oil once a year, adding oil as necessary of course.

Plan B: Buy any name-brand synthetic oil such as Valvoline, Castrol Edge, Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum, SuperTech you want and change it every 6 months. Always a good idea to use that Fram XG2 oil filter though, since it filters better with lots of dirt capacity.

I use Havoline DS and a MC FL820 in my 2002 Taurus with a 5000 mile OCI, ours has a bit over 120k miles on it. I am happy with this combo but will probably switch to the high mileage version of the Havoline when I run out of the regular (after the next OC).

I used to have to add a quart at about 3500 miles when I was using Mobil 1 in this car, switched to conventional mainly because of reading around here. As soon as I switched, consumption went down, don't have to add any now over the same OCI.

The manual says 5k OCI with conventional oil, that's what I'm doing with it now. I cut open my last FL820, I thought it looked good.

These engines will leak a little as they age. I have been using Maxlife 5W20 in my 2002 Taurus. A Ford should always use a Motorcraft filter. I buy both at Walmart.
On a different note flush your coolant. Back flush the heater core.

Originally Posted By: AshleyQuick
Is 5 qts of the Mobil 1 synthetic enough to do the job?

Yes, 5, but you might want to put in 4 or 4.5 quarts, run it for a while, see where it is on the dipstick, then add the rest when the dipstick level gets down to the add line later on, .... all this just to make double sure you don't overfill it.

Is 5 qts of the Mobil 1 synthetic enough to do the job?

Pretty much any name brand oil will do. The motorcraft filter gets good reviews. I have a 2001 with the Duratech engine and it's up to 210k. Used pretty much whatever oil was on sale, same with the filter. It's not the engine that will die on you from not using the right oil/filter. I've always used 5w20, but once in a while 5w30 when it was on sale. Seems to leak less with 5w30.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
These engines will leak a little as they age. I have been using Maxlife 5W20 in my 2002 Taurus. A Ford should always use a Motorcraft filter. I buy both at Walmart.
On a different note flush your coolant. Back flush the heater core.

The Motorcraft oil filter is good, but the Fram Ultra XG2 will filter better based on ISO 4548-12 efficiency/capacity results, and you can't beat Ultra's wire-backed dual-layer media. But the Motorcraft might be my 2nd choice after the XG2, since both have silicon adbv's.

Also, I would go ahead and use a 5w-30 or 0w-30 full synthetic on these older cars. Using a High Mileage full syn of any brand might be a good idea if you suspect any seepage leaking, so agreed there.

Also, why isn't a Motorcraft filter recommended?

Mainly ISO 4548-12 performance tests show Fram Ultra is the clear winner. Also, the Motorcrafts use a lot of cellulose (paper) in their filter media, while the Ultra is all-synthetic, more tough and longer lasting. But Motorcraft is not a 'bad' choice, it is #2 choice.

AAP has a special right now. The Mobile 1 Extended (5qt) and a K&N hp-2009 (which is a replacement because this particular store is out of the comparable M1 filter) ... both for $35.

Good deal?

AAP has a special right now. The Mobile 1 Extended (5qt) and a K&N hp-2009 (which is a replacement because this particular store is out of the comparable M1 filter) ... both for $35.

Good deal?

No. K&N bad oil filters (adequate, they'd be OK, but not good). K&N factories got moved overseas and they cheapened their oil filters a few years ago, now living off their previous good name. The Mobil1 oil filter is actually much better than a K&N !

I've rarely seen anyone beat Walmart prices, but Amazon.com will ship it to you, or HomeDepot carries regular Mobil1 synthetic for cheap.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 5W-20 and a Motorcraft filter.

If the OP decides to do extended OCIs
Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 and an Amsoil filter.
Mobil 1 5W-20 Extended Performance and a Fram Ultra filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back