Dog Bite

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a storm blow through here this last weekend, it has left abit of a mess, broken tree branches etc.

A neighbor was clearing up a damaged cherry tree with an old Bow saw when another neighbor came over to offer the use of his chain saw.

He has a Pit bull X. nice dog, and he is a very responsible owner. However when the neighbors wife went to pick up the offered saw, the dog clamped down on her hand.

The dog has now been destroyed. The womens hand is quite a mess, the dog biting in the area of the righthand thumb and forefinger.

A sad day!

I never had a problem with dogs, of any breed, that had responsible owners, before, but this is quite sobering.
A dog bite is never good, but this is quite server, and may effect the womans career.

I Don't trust anyone's dog. If I go anywhere where someone has one that isn't super tiny I ask them to secure it while I'm there.

I don't hate dogs, but I refuse to be bitten by one. If the owner places the dogs freedom over human life then they are crazy and are no friend of mine.

Last edited:
I hope the lady fully recovers from her injuries real soon. sad day for dog and owner. Gotta control your pets

Originally Posted By: Al
Hope the dog was checked for rabies.

NEVER, EVER trust a dog, ANY dog, ESPECIALLY the pit bull breed,
they have been bred over the ages to fight, and their physical
strength, jaw, and biting method can do serious damage or cause DEATH, not only that these dogs seem to be good natured for years and then just snap one day for no apparent reason whatsoever.

It's time to ban these and a few other breeds from being owned.

That owner was NOT responsible either, he shouldn't have brought his dog to another persons property, I wonder if the woman will sue to have the medical bills paid, I would.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I Don't trust anyone's dog. If I go anywhere where someone has one that isn't super tiny I ask them to secure it while I'm there.

I don't hate dogs, but I refuse to be bitten by one. If the owner places the dogs freedom over human life then they are crazy and are no friend of mine.

01.gif

I would bet that this was NOT that dog's first rodeo. The owner should have seen behavior before this event, and known better.

Pits and Pit crosses tend to have owners with the ability to deny that their dogs have aggressive tendencies, even when they are blatant. And Pit type dogs tend to do a LOT more damage than most breeds, when they do bite. The owner of that dog will learn the meaning of regret, once all this goes to court.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I would bet that this was NOT that dog's first rodeo. The owner should have seen behavior before this event, and known better.

Pits and Pit crosses tend to have owners with the ability to deny that their dogs have aggressive tendencies, even when they are blatant. And Pit type dogs tend to do a LOT more damage than most breeds, when they do bite. The owner of that dog will learn the meaning of regret, once all this goes to court.

Yep, these idiot owners (careless, thoughtless, and often times belligerent as well) need to pay dearly, and I'm hoping that the court not only pays her medical bills, and a huge pain and suffering award as well, I think this idiot could lose everything he owns possibly. He deserves to.

Originally Posted By: expat
We had a storm blow through here this last weekend, it has left abit of a mess, broken tree branches etc.

A neighbor was clearing up a damaged cherry tree with an old Bow saw when another neighbor came over to offer the use of his chain saw.

He has a Pit bull X. nice dog, and he is a very responsible owner. However when the neighbors wife went to pick up the offered saw, the dog clamped down on her hand.

The dog has now been destroyed. The womens hand is quite a mess, the dog biting in the area of the righthand thumb and forefinger.

A sad day!

I never had a problem with dogs, of any breed, that had responsible owners, before, but this is quite sobering.
A dog bite is never good, but this is quite server, and may effect the womans career.

Your post isn't exactly clear. Can you clarify that the woman came onto the dog owners property where the dog then attacked the woman? Dogs are sometimes aggressive to protect their property.

Most homeowner's insurance also almost always ask the breed of dog and exclude dogs like pit bulls for just this reason.

" NEVER, EVER trust a dog, ANY dog, ESPECIALLY the pit bull breed,
they have been bred over the ages to fight, and their physical
strength, jaw, and biting method can do serious damage or cause DEATH, not only that these dogs seem to be good natured for years and then just snap one day for no apparent reason whatsoever.

It's time to ban these and a few other breeds from being owned."

I have owned 3 bully breeds in my adult life( english bull terrier, boxer/pit bull mix and an american bulldog). I have never had an issue. It's the owner not the dog.

It is the owner, not the dog.

The only dogs that have ever bitten me were owned by crazy cat ladies. Some of them choose to have a chihuahua or mini poodle instead of cats.

I have met people who properly care for their bully breeds, and those dogs have zero behavior problems.

Dogs and I get on generally well with one exception. Poodles tend to nip at my heels and that's why I distrust them, which they probably sense. It's a vicious circle.

Someone will be along any minute to defend the breed. I know a guy who's involved in pit bull rescue. Defends them fervently.

I'm a dog guy, crazy about all dogs, but I'm just nervous around a breed that can take down and kill a person. That's a huge responsibility on the owner.

The OP stated he knows the owner as responsible. Not sure what that means but he probably didn't abuse the dog or teach it to attack. If there's a certain level of training that's absolutely necessary with these dogs to be safe how do we make that happen?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

01.gif

This,
what if I got a pet tiger, and after 10 years of being a good pet, it ate your youngest son/daughter.

who would you blame?

There are more dog bites from Labrador retrievers than pit bulls. Just a FYI. Its not the dog breed, its the owner. Its not the tool, its the fool. Its not the arrow, its the indian. Its not the gun, its the idiot behind it.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Its not the arrow, its the indian.

Dot or feather?

There are more dog bites from Labrador retrievers than pit bulls. Just a FYI. Its not the dog breed, its the owner. Its not the tool, its the fool. Its not the arrow, its the indian. Its not the gun, its the idiot behind it.

You mean total dog bites or %.

Not a dog lover, good riddance. I understand why folks like them however at the same time find them so annoying as they bark.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

You mean total dog bites or %.

I read in a study years ago that 13% of dog bites were from labs vs 8% from pit bulls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back