Carb Kit Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered a carb kit for an 1971 bobcat skid steer with a Kohler 14 hp engine because the old and yes still original float valve deteriorated at the tip. The kit is in the mail and should arrive next week. This skid steer has been in our family since it was purchased new by my father in law back in '71 for his use on the farm.

today i only take it out maybe once or twice a year and it is a real joy to tinker with!

Question is this:

I am seeing 2 smaller red gasket or seals that i believe go on the seat, but now sure if it uses the both of them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271875876173?rmvSB=true

thanks, i can account for all of the parts except the 2 red seals, but i have not removed the seat and that is where i may find them or NOT!

My thoughts are that if the float needle valve is exactly alike, i may not get into removing the seat(it being 44 years old-may cause me more grief)

the carb is in immaculate condition for 44 year as we have taken very good care of it and thus my hopes of just replacing the float needle.

If the needle tip looks to be rubber, I don't know if the seat will even be removable. I'd probably just change the needle and make sure it looks clean where it seats. In the picture, I first thought that was the jet next to the needle, but is it the seat for the needle? Anyway it looks to just screw in. If the old one seems like it will unscrew, it may be an easy changeout. If the old one does not seem to want to unscrew, I think I would just leave it. Sorry, I'm not much help.

Last edited:
In the picture, that is the needle and the screwed in seat. A screwdriver wide enough to go all the way across it will easily take it out. As far as the gaskets go, the large red one os for the bowl nut, and the little one MAY be for the seat, but it looks a little large. If it fits use it, if not use the old one.

Last edited:
thanks everything is helpful...
wayne, yes the seat is just to the right of the float needle valve in the pictue, and the tip on the old valve was rubber and has deteriorated after 44 years-can't complain about that!

not sure what the new one will be like, i guess that will determine too whether i have to replace the seat or not.

old1, thanks for your vote of confidence and experience, I think you are spot on with one seal for the bowl nut and one for the seat!

thank you, i'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
I know a place in NY that does great work on old carbs. Sometimes there is more to rebuilding a carb than throwing in a rebuild kit. PM if you want the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back