Getting a passport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to get a Passport for some years now. The application process seems pretty straightforward:

1. Go to local Post Office (the main Post Office where I live is a designated Passport place.)

2. Hand it in, have interview (?)

3. Pay the fees.

4. Wait.

^ Is that the process?

The hardest part seems to be.. getting the passport photos. Are there not booths that will suffice as taking them?

Post office typically will take your photo, Joseph.

If I'm not mistaken, you've got to bring some proof that you're a US citizen, such as birth certificate.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Post office typically will take your photo, Joseph.

If I'm not mistaken, you've got to bring some proof that you're a US citizen, such as birth certificate.

QP are you gonna get that phone? Or "No, because Verizon doesn't have it.."

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/first-time.html

Basically:
1. Fill Out Form DS-11: Application For A U.S. Passport
2. Submit Completed Form DS-11 In Person
3. Submit Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
4. Present Identification
5. Submit a Photocopy of the Identification Document(s) Presented
6. Pay the Applicable Fee
7. Provide One Passport Photo

Passport photos have stringent requirements. Gt one done by a place that does a lot of them...or your application will be returned for a photo that doesn't meet requirements...

When I got my passport years ago,I had to bring my own photo. Took just a few minutes,and there are only certain times they do passports. Your local po should have a schedule posted.

Focus, Joseph. Focus.
crackmeup2.gif

No photos at our nearest PO, either, we had ours done at Kinko's (now Fedex). They were very familiar with the requirements and retook some of them to get them just right. The hours available for passports at that PO are very limited and you are almost guaranteed to be waiting in line.
I think we could head over to Charlestown (right by Boston/Logan) to get a quick turn on a passport for extra $$$, but have never had the need to do so...have had coworkers who suddenly realized they needed them for trips coming up very soon who have gone through that pain.

Last edited:
Even if you get a passport you probably will not be allowed into Canada due to your prior criminal history.

For my passport renewals, I take my own headshot with a white wall, then crop it on the computer and size it so it fits in a 4x6. Then I get it printed at the store for $0.20. I typically make an array of 6 pictures and just pick one.

some usps locations will take photos, but to be safe take em with ya.

some locations you have to call and SCHEDULE an appointment for passport application.
you can't do walkins anymore

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Even if you get a passport you probably will not be allowed into Canada due to your prior criminal history.

Maybe Mexico will take him.
smile.gif

Sam's club will do the passport photo if you're a member. Not sure what they charge but I got my renewal photo there a few years ago.

My wife and I just got passports earlier this year before we went on a cruise to the Bahamas. Here they have a "Passport Center" that's attached to the DMV. You bring in your birth certificate, fill out some paperwork, and they take your picture right there. It really couldn't get much easier.

I had my pictures taken at the local Walgreens and CVS. Think it was about $7.

If you get a passport you will be one of the minority of U.S. Citizens that have one.

Even then, it seems only a small % travel overseas.

Focus, Joseph. Focus.

Oh sweet Jesus, is that him again?

Hey, don't waste your money on a passport. Pay off your debts instead. Your criminal history does exclude you from Canada. The firearms arrest will most definitely red-flag you.

My wife recently got a passport. I took the pic and had it printed at Wal-Mart. I used her DSLR with the lens with at 70MM, white background, no flash or shadows. There is an Adobe tool on the government passport website to align the face properly and it lets you save the file.

Last edited:
Ironically, the State dept wants an analog photo printout that they can then scan digitally again.

BRZED probably has a camera that can do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back