2014 Charger SRT-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 04SE
While I do like your car, I have but one question...

What is the long term reliability of a car with so many electronic features and/or electronically controlled features?

Have auto makers ironed out bugs/kinks in the past decade? Seeing all of the features and doo-dads on the car makes me grateful my CVPI doesn't even have keyless entry.

The feature set is somewhat similar to that of the M5, which was 14 years old and all of the electronics worked as intended. Properly implemented, it isn't an issue.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The feature set is somewhat similar to that of the M5, which was 14 years old and all of the electronics worked as intended. Properly implemented, it isn't an issue.

Agreed, I don't believe in technology for technology's sake, but I'm not going to drive the automotive equivalent of a hair shirt either.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Full of little details like pad knockback mitigation and other outrageous tech.

Is this also on the Hellcat, and other SRT8 vehicles??
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

cool.gif

Yes, and some of the tech is either standard or optional on the R/T as well.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

cool.gif

Yes, and some of the tech is either standard or optional on the R/T as well.

My wife's R/T has the Road/Track Performance Group package, which bumps the power output to 350 and gives it tighter steering, the self-leveling shocks, better seats....etc. Basically a Daytona without the big badges. It has the large PBR brakes front/rear (ventilated) and really is quite the hoot to drive in its own right. She feels safe in it and loves the passing power, which was important on her recent trip to the east coast and back. The big HEMI, even when loaded to the gills with people and luggage, mated to the NAG-1 provides confident acceleration, and the brakes shed speed with ease. It was great for her on the long drive and she needed no stops to rest, making it both ways in one day.

Very nice, and great deal! I was tempted by a new '14 R/T AWD that my local dealer had. It's the last year of AWD Hemi -- which is what I would want in that platform. However, they only had it at $7K off. Yet, I could get new '15 200s for >$10K (30%) off. Well, I bought neither. I preferred another SUV, so found a carry-over Edge.

Another update after getting back in it now that I am back from Dallas:

1. New update for UConnect again to address the security issue
2. A major revision update from Garmin for the GPS.
3. I REALLY hate these tires. The A/S3's on the '06 are SO MUCH STICKIER it is sad. I've had these things tear into a massive screech session in 2nd gear just on moderate acceleration (though perhaps moderate needs to be qualified, LOL!). I'm going to ask the boys at the dealer if something can be done to get some PSS's on it, I'm hoping they can help me out. I already contacted GoodYear and they told me to pound sand.

Also, I believe the latest UConnect update fixed the volume issue I mentioned earlier, which was quite nice. I have yet to check the SRT sub-menu to see if I can mix units yet but I don't have my hopes up that this will be possible.

Will update on the tire situation if I make any headway
smile.gif

3. I REALLY hate these tires. The A/S3's on the '06 are SO MUCH STICKIER it is sad. I've had these things tear into a massive screech session in 2nd gear just on moderate acceleration (though perhaps moderate needs to be qualified, LOL!). I'm going to ask the boys at the dealer if something can be done to get some PSS's on it,

PSS's. ?

If you look in circle track rags, there is a solvent you can paint on the tread to soften the rubber.

You're talking breaking loose in second gear in a straight line? That sounds like nothing but fun to me.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

3. I REALLY hate these tires. The A/S3's on the '06 are SO MUCH STICKIER it is sad. I've had these things tear into a massive screech session in 2nd gear just on moderate acceleration (though perhaps moderate needs to be qualified, LOL!). I'm going to ask the boys at the dealer if something can be done to get some PSS's on it,

PSS's. ?

If you look in circle track rags, there is a solvent you can paint on the tread to soften the rubber.

You're talking breaking loose in second gear in a straight line? That sounds like nothing but fun to me.

PSS = Pilot Super Sport, the tires I had on the M5. They were fantastic.

Yes, breaking loose in a straight line while in second, just accelerating a bit. It would be fun except that the tires make a huge amount of noise when they break loose which tends to get a lot of negative attention, so when it happens and it isn't intentional.... Not fun. The PSS's were dead silent when spinning (and much harder to spin) so even if you did give it a bit too much go pedal and were having some fun, it wasn't obvious.

Some new pics, I washed and waxed it yesterday:

The big Brembo's:
SRT801.jpg

And a couple paint/perspective shots in the driveway:
SRT802.jpg

SRT803.jpg

Those wheels are really shiny, they look like they're hard to photograph since they reflect the ground, they almost look dirty lol.

Yes, they are sort of a funky dark chrome colour that is extremely shiny. They look fantastic clean. Dirty they look like a powdercoated gunmetal, LOL!
grin.gif

Wear your brake dust proudly. The factory pads are difficult to beat. But the dust coats everything, even the butt end of your car will get dusted. That's what happens when a 4000 pound sedan can stop as quickly as a Porsche!

And times a dozen on the [censored] tires. Get rid of them! I still haven't figured out how my PSS's can be so quiet no matter how I wound them. Someone needs to tell the Turtle that bad traction is nothing to brag about. While you're spinnin' I'm winnin'...

Last edited:
Some new pics, I washed and waxed it yesterday:

The big Brembo's:
SRT801.jpg

And a couple paint/perspective shots in the driveway:
SRT802.jpg

SRT803.jpg

You have a nice house up there in Canada. Praises.

So, 6,200Km update.

I drove the car the 14hrs to Nova Scotia and then the 14hrs back. I have a lot of seat time in it.

Observations:

1. The seats definitely aren't as nice as the M5 seats. The cooling feature is wonderful but for 14hrs in a seat, the M5 seats you were getting out and your butt felt like you were in the seat for 20 minutes. I developed a sore posterior after about 8 hours in the Charger, I had to keep adjusting my position.

HOWEVER

On the drive back I did not have the same issue, so I'm wondering if a lot of it has to do with the seats breaking-in
21.gif
They seem more comfortable now that they have some miles on them.

2. The transmission programming has adapted nicely to me and the engine has loosened up a bit and is more responsive. I changed the oil at 2,000Km and there was a fair bit of shiny stuff in it (to be expected).

3. The exhaust is just like the M5's, sooty as all get-up on the rear end (something Steve warned me about).

4. Gas mileage on the highway is FANTASTIC! I only had to get gas twice the entire 1500Km drive, once in Cornwall and then again in Edmunston. The tank is not large (first fill-up was 45 dollars, 2nd was 65). I haven't done a hand calc on the mileage yet but it is definitely better than the M5 and better than my wife's 06.

5. The "smart" features of the car really are fantastic. When you use the remote start in the summer, it cools the seats automatically. When you use the remote start when it is cooler out (like it is now) it will automatically heat the wheel and seats so no matter what the ambient is when you get into the car you are immediately comfortable. The back-up camera is also helpful given the large posterior on the car and the small wing affecting visibility a bit.

6. The little "air dams" that are in front of the tires are a pain the rear. I've managed to break one of them off on a parking curb already as they will scrape on a driveway or big dip in the road. They hang down a good 2" lower than the car does and are right at that transition point between the nose and the wheel making them a bit of a nuisance. I re-attached the one that came off with some Loktite super glue but it came back off again the first time it dragged so I'll need to find something stronger. They pull right out of the moulded plastic underbody panel.

7. Oil changes are a breeze, the panel comes off the same way as it does on my wife's car and the filter is readily accessible. It takes the same filter as the Expedition, the FL-820S (PH16). It holds 7L of oil.

8. The trunk under storage is fantastic. I have my big 20ft long jumper cables wrapped up in there along with a litre of oil. It comes with a compressor and spare tire in a can like the M5 did. The compressor is of high quality and is a nice looking unit.

9. The Active Exhaust is superb. Like the M5, it is dead silent at cruise with no hint of engine noise. You hit the loud pedal and well, it gets loud, but not overbearing. The engine note is beautifully throaty.

10. Then 6.4L HEMI has torque everywhere. it is happy lugging along at low revs easily motivating the big car up to speed and is equally happy playing up in the 6K range hammering off traction-destroying shifts and engaging the traction control with the horrible stock tires, LOL!
wink.gif
It is both incredibly civilized/sedate and a complete monster. It is a wonderful replacement for my S62. There is zero measurable oil consumption so far, it is still above the full line after the long trip. If it is anything like my wife's 5.7, it won't use any oil between changes.

All-in-all I am very happy with the car
thumbsup2.gif

9. The Active Exhaust is superb. Like the M5, it is dead silent at cruise with no hint of engine noise. You hit the loud pedal and well, it gets loud, but not overbearing. The engine note is beautifully throaty.

I agree! These are the best sounding cars. I had one fly past me today and it sounded like a dragster! Sounded awesome!!

beautiful. Not many understand these cars, they are a unique offering without much to compete with.

Get that baby to the strip and it'll cut 12.5's all day in good air...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back