How to remove RainX from windshield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I didn't apply RainX properly on my windshield. I would really like to remove it. I came across RainX Xtreme Clean on RainX website (https://www.rainx.com/product/glass-water-repellents-cleaners/rainx-xtreme-clean/) Although there are instruction for use on the page, I could not find any video explaining, just to be safe.

Anybody knows if one should be doing anything before or after applying RainX Xtreme Clean to get the best results?

Thanks in advance.

Just wipe it off.

No, seriously... I think some people believe there should be some sort of visible "film" left over when applying Rain-X. There should not. It takes some elbow grease, and you need to let it "dry" a bit before buffing it out, but it should be completely invisible when you are done, and you get the benefit of much greater visibility in the rain.

What are we missing here?

Originally Posted By: crw
Just wipe it off.

No, seriously... I think some people believe there should be some sort of visible "film" left over when applying Rain-X. There should not. It takes some elbow grease, and you need to let it "dry" a bit before buffing it out, but it should be completely invisible when you are done, and you get the benefit of much greater visibility in the rain.

What are we missing here?

The OP is not talking about wiping off the Rain-X application. Rather, he is asking how to remove it completely. FWIW, I heard that Rain-X makes a spray (as noted earlier in this thread) that is supposed to clean very well AND remove Rain-X. I have never tried this, and the only success I've had in removing Rain-X is Permatex GS8 Auto Glass Stripper. Can be found online, and special ordered in some hardware stores. Used with power tools, the stuff will obliterate Rain-X for good.

I haven't applied rain x in a while because we rarely get rain in Southern California, but I found a good way to apply it if you are having trouble getting it streak-free. Before washing the car, I would clean the windshield and apply the rain x, rub it in the circles like instructions say. Let it dry, then wash the car as usual. After washing and drying the car, there would be no streaks of rain x, but the glass would repel water.

Thank you folks.

for those who are confused, when I applied Rain-X for the first time, I didn't investigate well on how one should apply. I thought, just spray it and wipe it off with wipers. Well, that left a lot of streak marks, bubbles etc. This all really affects visibility, and hence I want to remove it thoroughly, treat the glass with claybar or steel wool and reapply Rain-X 'correctly' so that there are no streaks or bubbles. If it works well this time, I will repeat the process just before it starts snowing.

FWIW, rubbing alcohol and acetone doesn't work, tried both, no effect of any kind.

Trust me folks, try the X-treme Clean. It will remove Rain-X (and RejeX) from windshields in under a minute. The glass is ridiculously clean after you use the stuff. I intentionally tested it at removing both sealing products, and it does work better than anything I've tried for that procedure.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to try it on bugs or sap or any other ugly contaminants, but I suspect it will work well. Again, just follow the instructions on the bottle. They're foolproof and the product is easy to use.

I've found it applies much easier when the temps are below 70F. I just use a soft slightly damp cloth to apply. Usually use a more than they recommend and go over the windshield three times. If it's beading up you need to go over it until it stops.

Then let it sit a while and with another slightly damp cloth go after it until you get most of it off.

I've also found the spray wax from car washes really inhibits how well the RainX works. That is some hard stuff to get clean off. I use some Bonami powdered glass cleaner and blue spray window clearer to pre wash the windshield before a RainX treatment.

0000 Steel wool and dawn dish soap?

Barrels Friend?

Fire?

Ok, not serious on that last one, but the first two might work and can be sourced locally.

Bon Ami original formula in the RED can. It's recommended by BMW and it will scrub off rain-x. Just make sure it has tallow soap and feldspar in the ingredients - the gold/yellow can is harsher.

Glass Science Glass Scrub Auto Glass Stripper.

or similar.

Rub it hard and do it twice. It will strip the silicone film from RainX or similar away from your windshield.

Wash the windshield with dish washing liquid and water.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back